Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Are Christians Afraid To Talk About the Devil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    That's entirely possible -- but it also made me think (that's always dangerous).... I would rather people come to Jesus because of who He is, than run from the Devil because of fear or for "fire insurance".
    Absolutely! Just so you know, I didn't create this thread to argue that people need to be afraid of the Devil, but was simply curious if people are afraid to talk about the Devil.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      Absolutely! Just so you know, I didn't create this thread to argue that people need to be afraid of the Devil, but was simply curious if people are afraid to talk about the Devil.
      Yeah, absolutely understood! So, for the record, I'm not so much "afraid" to talk about the Devil, I just don't see much value in it. And you may have hit on something --- when I was a kid, there were SO MANY sermons on hellfire and damnation and it seemed the emphasis was on "not going to Hell" more than "following the Christ".
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That's entirely possible -- but it also made me think (that's always dangerous).... I would rather people come to Jesus because of who He is, than run from the Devil because of fear or for "fire insurance".
        I agree that it is better to come from a love of Jesus than fear of the Devil. On the other hand, I've heard testimonies from both starting points and in the end, both are saved.
        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
          I agree that it is better to come from a love of Jesus than fear of the Devil. On the other hand, I've heard testimonies from both starting points and in the end, both are saved.
          Yeah, that's where the guidance of the Holy Spirit is invaluable.

But I can't help but think "If I be lifted up, I will draw all men to me".....
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I wonder what Christians think about 2 Thess 2:9-12 in relation to the OP. I've noticed some saying that Satan gets too much credit for the problems in the world, but that passage about those that are deluded by Satan seems pretty broad and wide-sweeping. It also makes you wonder, if we assume he's limited in power, how he's capable of such a broad and wide-sweeping reach on humanity.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
              I wonder what Christians think about 2 Thess 2:9-12 in relation to the OP.
              I think, like other Scripture, it needs to be taken in the overall context of the rest of Scripture.

I've noticed some saying that Satan gets too much credit for the problems in the world, but that passage about those that are deluded by Satan seems pretty broad and wide-sweeping. It also makes you wonder, if we assume he's limited in power, how he's capable of such a broad and wide-sweeping reach on humanity.
              Well, he IS limited in power -- and time. He's a "short timer", to use unofficial military jargon.

Source: Rev 12:12

Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post

2.) Biblical descriptions of demonic activity like possession are now viewed through the lens of modern medicine as mental illness. So what once was attributed to demons is now attributed to psychiatric episodes. That isn't to say that mental illness doesn't exist, I believe it does, its just that its not uncommon to read interpretations of the Gerasene demoniac suffering from schizophrenia or what have you. So Christians are embarrassed to mention possession because it makes them look like superstitious kooks.
                You may be interested in Walter Wink's trilogy on Powers:

“Every Power tends to have a visible pole, an outer form – be it a church, a nation, and economy – and an invisible pole, an inner spirit or driving force that animates, legitimates, and regulates its physical manifestation in the world. Neither pole is the cause of the other. Both come into existence together and cease to exist together”
                “To put the thesis of these three volumes in its simplest form: The Powers are good. The Powers are fallen. The Powers must be redeemed. These three statement must be held together, for each, by itself, is not only untrue but downright mischievous. We cannot affirm governments or universities or businesses to be good unless at the same time we recognize that they are fallen. We cannot face their malignant intractability and oppressiveness unless we remember that they are simultaneously a part of God’s good creation. And reflection on their creation and fall will appear only to legitimate these Powers and blast hope for change unless we assert at the same time that these Powers can and must be redeemed”
                It sounds most fascinating, but sadly I have yet to read it.

Comment

I think, like other Scripture, it needs to be taken in the overall context of the rest of Scripture.

Well, he IS limited in power -- and time. He's a "short timer", to use unofficial military jargon.

Source: Rev 12:12

Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

© Copyright Original Source

I doubt there'd be "woe to the inhabiters of the earth" if the devil wasn't capable of causing great damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                    I doubt there'd be "woe to the inhabiters of the earth" if the devil wasn't capable of causing great damage.
                    Why SURE he's capable of causing great damage -- but that's still limited to whatever God allows. We can spend so much time focusing on what the Devil can and can't do that we fail to fulfill the great commission.

Comment

Why SURE he's capable of causing great damage -- but that's still limited to whatever God allows. We can spend so much time focusing on what the Devil can and can't do that we fail to fulfill the great commission.
                      And 2 Thess 2 indicates that God allows a deluding force from Satan to deceive all those that refuse the truth. That's not only a pretty powerful delusion but, as I said, a wide reaching one. That passage also seems to imply that wickedness is a direct result of being deceived.

Comment

And 2 Thess 2 indicates that God allows a deluding force from Satan to deceive all those that refuse the truth. That's not only a pretty powerful delusion but, as I said, a wide-reaching one. That passage also seems to imply that wickedness is a direct result of being deceived.
                        Nobody's disputing that, Sean.... but do you want to spend all your time worrying about that? Don't you trust in God to protect, guide and defend you? Are you doing your part to disciple the nations?

Comment

And we can spend too little time focusing on what he does such that his attacks limit and disrupt efforts to fulfill the Commission.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                            And we can spend too little time focusing on what he does such that his attacks limit and disrupt efforts to fulfill the Commission.
                            And I think you'd prefer to argue with the devil than obey the Savior*.

*being factious -- my mom used to tell me that very thing during my relatively short lived rebellion.

Comment

Nobody's disputing that, Sean.... but do you want to spend all your time worrying about that? Don't you trust in God to protect, guide and defend you? Are you doing your part to disciple the nations?
                              This is a false dichotomy. And yes, previous posts indicate that that was in dispute which is why I pointed it out. It also would be another possible reason Christians are reluctant to discuss Satan, because they oversimplify or underestimate his potency.

Comment

This is a false dichotomy.
                                Of course it is.... this is part of my whole point!

And yes, previous posts indicate that that was in dispute which is why I pointed it out. It also would be another possible reason Christians are reluctant to discuss Satan, because they oversimplify or underestimate his potency.
                                Are you a soul winner, Sean? Do you actively win people to Christ? Do you disciple anybody?

Comment