Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

See more
See less

Are Christians Afraid To Talk About the Devil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
    Sure and I think my application is a valid one. I think one of the schemes of the devil is divide the brethren against one another. That's all I'm saying and I used a verse that I think has modern day application.
    No argument whatsoever.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I just don't understand why so many Christians seem afraid (reluctant?) to talk about it. What good is "talking about the devil" if we aren't ALSO talking about accepting Christ as Savior, or following him in Baptism, or growing in Christ as disciples? You will be known by your "fruit".... Matthew 7 warns about judging, but it also talks about inspecting fruit.

It is simply astounding to me that so many Christians....

Yeah, I'm wasting my time.
      CP, I'm probably missing something, and I hope I don't add to your frustration here, but I don't know if I follow why you think the two topics (Soul Winning and talking about Satan) are so intrinsically tied together? Or is that your view?

It seems to me that Christians have absolutely no problem whatsoever at all talking about accepting Christ as Savior or about growing in him, but (and I don't know, maybe our personal experiences divide here) talking about Satan is sometimes very touchy stuff (as maybe evident here).

What is it about the subject that bothers some Christians so much? Is it the idea that if we give Satan attention we grant him power in some people's lives? Is it maybe about what we discussed before where he's so often associated with fire and brimstone teaching that makes people want to put the topic at arm's length?

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally with you that Evangelism is the Prime Directive if ever there were one. But, you know, I think there's enough room in Christian dialog, that we don't have to limit ourselves to only talking about the subject of Evangelism.

Reading what you're writing in this thread, I almost can't help but hear the Pastor in you saying something like, "Stop worrying about Satan and all that goofy stuff, there's people hurting out there, and that's what's truly important!"

I've won souls to Christ, and I want to win more souls to Christ. I think topics like this, and so many of the other topics we read on websites like this can be healthy in that regard. We can certainly get caught up in just "talking" about it and not doing it, and I'll be honest with you, I'm rusty. Its been too long since I've led someone to Christ (that I know of). I'll take the reproof, because I need to get my butt in gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
        Touched a nerve, eh?

One does wonder if you'll ever tire of such childishness.
        Apparently not.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
          CP, I'm probably missing something, and I hope I don't add to your frustration here, but I don't know if I follow why you think the two topics (Soul Winning and talking about Satan) are so intrinsically tied together? Or is that your view?

It seems to me that Christians have absolutely no problem whatsoever at all talking about accepting Christ as Savior or about growing in him, but (and I don't know, maybe our personal experiences divide here) talking about Satan is sometimes very touchy stuff (as maybe evident here).

What is it about the subject that bothers some Christians so much? Is it the idea that if we give Satan attention we grant him power in some people's lives? Is it maybe about what we discussed before where he's so often associated with fire and brimstone teaching that makes people want to put the topic at arm's length?

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally with you that Evangelism is the Prime Directive if ever there were one. But, you know, I think there's enough room in Christian dialog, that we don't have to limit ourselves to only talking about the subject of Evangelism.

Reading what you're writing in this thread, I almost can't help but hear the Pastor in you saying something like, "Stop worrying about Satan and all that goofy stuff, there's people hurting out there, and that's what's truly important!"

I've won souls to Christ, and I want to win more souls to Christ. I think topics like this, and so many of the other topics we read on websites like this can be healthy in that regard. We can certainly get caught up in just "talking" about it and not doing it, and I'll be honest with you, I'm rusty. Its been too long since I've led someone to Christ (that I know of). I'll take the reproof, because I need to get my butt in gear.
          I give up on this, Adrift.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
            Apparently not.
            Oh, the Iron E!

Comment

I give up on this, Adrift.
              Okay. That's fine.

Comment

Oh, the Iron E!

Okay, okay. Sheesh. I told you that I'd bring it right back -- unlike the circular saw you borrowed and didn't return for five months, three days and sixteen hours (but who's counting)

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Haha. I've heard stories of churches where Satan or Devil is the same as a curse word.

Comment