Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

"I don't care if you landed a spacecraft on a comet, your shirt is sexist"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Nor did I say you were.... the fact that I think it's useless to have a civil discussion with you does not necessarily mean you are not civil.

Sam, if you want to talk about a forest, knock yourself out!

Have we SEEN a consistent public display of this type of behavior from the scientific community, Sam? It wouldn't have been NEWS if we had.

I'm not.

So, making him change his shirt or "dress better" is HARDLY a solution, wouldn't you agree?

So why do you think this "sub-culture" is morally decrepit*, Sam?

*yeah, I'm being facetious, but the problem must be greater than the lack of an appropriate dress code, as you seem to suggest with "but there should be a minimal set of standards that prevents people from wearing "pin-up girls" to work". You don't solve a systemic problem (if there is one) by putting on a band aid (or less inappropriate shirt))

We can easily say that a stricter dress code is a necessary but not sufficient redress. That means that it won't fix the problem outright but it's a start. Like how staunching the bleeding is a necessary but not sufficient treatment of a deep wound.
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
      We can easily say that a stricter dress code is a necessary but not sufficient redress.
      REDRESS!!!! Sam, you're a HUMORIST!!!!

That means that it won't fix the problem outright but it's a start. Like how staunching the bleeding is a necessary but not sufficient treatment of a deep wound.
      The bleeding is an INDICATOR that something is wrong, and you look for the CAUSE of the bleeding.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

All seriousness aside, a dress code is only PART of an overall campaign --- they should have to attend multicultural sensitivity training like my wife does at Texas A&M!

Even then, it's a joke --- she has to answer questions a certain way whether she agrees with the answer or not, because they are computer generated/scored questions to which only the "right" answer is acceptable for her to "pass" her multicultural sensitivity training.

And, believe me --- SHE NEEDS IT!!!!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Any one event, in isolation, is about one person or one facility. For those who recognize a pattern of behavior or systemic problem, though, any one event is merely a representation of the larger whole.
          Indeed, the feminist hysteria is rather concerning.

Comment

Nor did I say you were.... the fact that I think it's useless to have a civil discussion with you does not necessarily mean you are not civil.
            Gotta be one or the other of ya. Are you accusing yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
              Gotta be one or the other of ya.
              Ah, a false dichotomist!

Are you accusing yourself?
              It could well be on my end, yes.

Comment

Ah, a false dichotomist!
                RATS, I thought I made up a word!

Comment

Its a sham, no reason to apologize. Let's start a petition to put clothes on all the naked statues.
                  Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                  Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    Its a sham, no reason to apologize. Let's start a petition to put clothes on all the naked statues.
                    And all B-17 (and other war birds) "nose art".

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                      That's what you'd think, but look at the counter-reaction ... every misognynist on the planet with access to a keyboard seems determined to prove the "hysterical reaction" valid. If the counter-reaction had been a collective rolling of the eyes, I'd feel differently. It wasn't.

Point proven.
                      Liberals slap you in the face and when you slap them back they use your retaliation as evidence that they were right to slap you in the first place.
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                        A couple decades ago someone started a movement to put clothes on animals (so that their private parts would be covered) as a gag. He was shocked by the support he received as well as the contributions.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

RATS, I thought I made up a word!
                          Did that as a kid with "disimprove."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I should be clearer: that sort of attire isn't appropriate in any professional work environment at that level.
                            When you can land probes on a comet you get a degree of deferrence you don't get when you bus tables or push papers. Some work can only be done by a small number of people, and if you need that work done you'll hire and use the guy even if he shows up to work dressed like Ronald McDonald.

Yes, it is a fairly understood fact that there exists a sub-culture of misogyny in the hard sciences that many women professionals experience.
                            More like men and women interact differently, which degenerate androgynous feminist blobs wouldn't understand. It also makes gender segregation and wife/husband teams superior to the model inflicted on us by egalitarian scum.

This seems to particularly affect areas like engineering and computer programming but the cultural hostility can be found across disciplines. I've lost the graph but you can even see how women and men were largely equally interested in some of these disciplines right up until the 80's, when female interest dropped sharply. The conclusion was that in the 70s and 80s, computers and engineering toys were advertised almost exclusively as "boy's toys" and that subtle but exclusionary decision has helped a lot to suppress female interest in these disciplines until recently.
                            The conclusion is manufactured BS. The reason why female interest dropped sharply is because the fields got more and more technical and the average woman has zero interest in it. As Steve Sailer notes, programming used to be quite different.

Liberals come up with all sorts of stupid ideas, like the idea that an entire industry would try to sell computers to men as a plot to turn it into a gender specific toy and throw away half their potential revenues.

If you're focusing on this one facility at this moment in time, you're going to miss the forest for the trees. The underlying and legitimate criticism is a sub-culture that is often dismissive, if not hostile, to women coworkers.
                            Maybe if feminists produced a body of professional (IE: not about feminism, or oppreshun, or their vaginas) works people would be less hostile to them. If the typical heavy male work environment is so offensive to their sensibilities the reasonable reaction normal people have would be to produce their own organizations. But they don't, because they have no interest in computer science and never really did.
                            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                              Liberals slap you in the face and when you slap them back they use your retaliation as evidence that they were right to slap you in the first place.
                              More accurate for this case would be: liberals raise an eyebrow, and then when you threaten them with rape in response they act like you're overreacting.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                So there are idiots on both sides. That does not justify the initial overreaction.
                                What was the initial overreaction?

Comment