Announcement

Collapse

World History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to World History 201.

Find out if Caesar crossed the Rubicon or threw a dollar across it.

This is the forum where world history, in general, can be discussed. Since the WH201, like the other fora in the World History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is.

The Tweb rules are in force . . . we're watching you.
Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Religion Unnecessary In Science Classroom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religion Unnecessary In Science Classroom

IT'S HISTORY.

It's already in a classroom, the History Classroom.
    ...well, at least the Christian Religion, i.e., The Historical Jesus.

ok, I know what you're thinking, here we go again, references to Josephus, and Jesus' brother's martyrdom (James) , and , , Sanhedrin 43a of the Babylonian Talmud, and the letters of Pliny the Younger and Emperor Trajan.
    But no, not this time.
    This post is about the Christian Religion's presence in the serious history genre.
    . Specifically, WORLD HISTORY TEXTBOOKS.

IMHO, there is no need to invade Science classrooms with religious history, since religious history is already represented in World History Class TEXTBOOKS
    Here are 7 of them from my bookshelf, there's more at the local library, but its too cold to go outside today:

Source: WORLD HISTORY THE HUMAN EXPERIENCE NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC SOCIETY Farah, Karls

WORLD HISTORY THE HUMAN EXPERIENCE NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC SOCIETY Farah, Karls, page 172 1999 Glencoe/McGraw-Hill ISBN 0028215761
    Jesus of NazarethThe Spread of Christianitysource

© Copyright Original Source

Source: A HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT WORLD by Chester G. Starr

A HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT WORLD by Chester G. Starr pages 608-610, ISBN 0195066286
    Teachings of Christsource

Source: THE ESSENTIAL WORLD HISTORY by William J. Duiker, Jackson J. Spielvogel

THE ESSENTIAL WORLD HISTORY by William J. Duiker, Jackson J. Spielvogel, Page 112 ISBN 0534578896

THE JEWISH BACKGROUND
    In Hellenistic times, the Jews had been granted considerable independence by their Selucid rulers. By 6 C.E., however, Judaea (the lands of the old Jewish kingdom of Judah) had been made a Roman province and placed under the direction of a Roman procurator. But unrest continued, augmented by divisions among the Jews themselves. The Sadducees favored cooperation with the Romans. The Pharisees, although they wanted Judaea to be free from Roman control, did not advocate violent means to achieve this goal. The Essenes were a Jewish sect that lived in a religious community near the Dead Sea. They, like most other Jews, awaited a messiah who would save Israel from oppression, usher in the kingdom of God, and establish paradise on earth. A fourth group, the Zealots, were militant extremists who advocated the violent overthrow of Roman rule. A Jewish revolt in 66 C.E. was crushed by the Romans four years later. The Jewish temple in Jerusalem was destroyed, and Roman power once more stood supreme in Judaea.

THE RISE OF CHRISTIANITYChrist in Greek), the Messiah who would return and usher in the kingdom of God on earth.

source

Source: THE WORLD�S HISTORY Combined Edition Howard Spodek

CHRISTIANITY EMERGES FROM JUDAISM
    At about the time of the Roman exile, a splinter group within the Jewish people formed around the person and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth. Disdained by segments of the Jewish religious establishment as a heretic and feared by the Roman imperialists as a potential revolutionary, Jesus was exalted by his followers as one specially chosen and anointed by God (Messiah in Hebrew, Christos in Greek). Jesus said that he had come not to abolish the Jewish law but to fulfill it. His followers ultimately accepted much of the moral core of Jewish teachings but rejected most parts of its legal and separatist covenant. They proclaimed Jesus to be the source of eternal life and accepted him as a miracle-worker and the son of God. Initially through the missionary activities of St. Paul, they spread the new faith of Christianity among on-third of humankind.
    CHRISTIANITY
    Jesus Christ, the founder of Christianity, was born to an unmarried Jewish woman and her carpenter fiance' in a manger in Bethlehem, 10 miles (16 kilometers) from Jerusalem, some 2000 years ago. Jesus grew into an astonishingly powerful preacher, who promised eternal life and happiness to the simple, poor, and downtrodden people of colonial Judea if only they would keep their faith in God. As Jesus' fame spread, and came to include a reputation for curing the blind and lame, and even raising the dead, the Jewish religious authorities and the Roman colonial administrators feared his attacks on their establishments. To prevent any potential rebellion, the Roman government crucified him when he was thirty-three years old.
    But death did not stop Jesus' message. His disciples, and especially Paul, a newcomer to the faith who was converted through a miraculous encounter with the dead Jesus, took his message of compassion, salvation, and eternal life to Rome. Although Jesus had avoided the question during his life, his followers now claimed that he was indeed the son of God, born to his mother Mary through a virgin birth. The upper classes of proud Rome scoffed at first, but more and more of the simple people believed. Despite early persecution, Christianity increased in influence, until it became the official religion of the empire. Spread through the networks of the empire, it ultimately became the most important organizing force in post-Roman Europe. The message of compassion and exultation and the organization of the church expanded throughout the world. Today almost 2 billion people, one-third of the world's population, spread among numerous different churches and denominations, declare themselves followers of this son of God, the simple preacher from Judea.

source

Source: WORLD HISTORY PEOPLE AND NATIONS Anatole G. Mazour and John M. Peoples

WORLD HISTORY PEOPLE AND NATIONS Anatole G. Mazour and John M. Peoples, Page 163-164 ISBN 0030751977
    The Life and Teachings of JesusThe Death of Jesus Persecution of the Christians
    At first the Roman government viewed Christians as a Jewish sect and thus freed them from the obligation to worship the emperor,. However, by the A.D. 100s it recognized the difference, and Christians had to make a difficult choice. The early Christians were good citizens. Their religion taught them to respect government, but they refused to worship the emperor as a god. To the emperors this refusal defied Roman religion and law, and they outlawed Christianity, seized Christian property, and executed many Christians. Sometimes the Romans used the Christians as scapegoats, blaming them for natural or political disasters. As the Roman writer Tertullian reported: "If the Tiber floods or the Nile fails to, the cry goes up: the Christians to the lions!" Many Christians became martyrs, put to death because they refused to renounce their beliefs. The Roman efforts, however, failed to stop the spread of Christianity....

source

Source: CIVILIZATION PAST & PRESENT 11th Ed. Brummett, Edgar, Hackett, Jewsbury, Molony

CIVILIZATION PAST & PRESENT 11th Edition Brummett, Edgar, Hackett, Jewsbury, Molony p. 152 ISBN 0321428382
    Reasons for the Spread of Christianity
    The popular mystery religions that the Romans had embraced from Greece and the Near East during the troubled last century of the Republic gave spiritual satisfaction not provided by Rome's early ritualistic forms of worship. These mystery religions included the worship of the Phrygian Cybele, the Great Mother (Magna Mater); the Egyptian Isis, sister and wife of Osiris; the Greek Dionysus, called Bacchus by the Romans; and the Persian sun-god Mithras, the intermediary between humans and Ahura-Mazda, the great Lord of Light, whose sacred day of worship was called Sunday and from whose cult women were excluded. Common to all the mystery religions were the notions of a divine savior and the promise of everlasting life.
    Followers of these mystery cults found Christian beliefs and practices familiar enough to convert easily to the new faith. But Christianity had far more to offer than the mystery religions did. Its founder was not a creature of myth, like the gods and goddesses of the mystery cults, but a real person whose ethical teachings were preserved by his followers and later written down. Shared with the Jews was the concept of a single omnipotent God, the God of the Hebrew Scriptures, now the God of all humanity. Moreover, Christianity was a dynamic, aggressive faith. It upheld the spiritual equality of all people--rich and poor, slave and freeborn, male and female. Women were among Jesus's audiences, and Paul's letters give much evidence of women active in the early church. One of Jesus's closest and favored followers was said to have been Mary Magdalene, a former prostitute. According to the so-called Gnostic Gospels, which the church declared heretical in the early fourth century and ordered destroyed, "Christ loved her more than all the disciples."
    Christianity taught that God, the loving Father, had sent his only Son to atone for human sins and offered a vision of immortality and an opportunity to be "born again," cleansed of sin. Its converts were bound together by faith and hope, and they took seriously their obligation of caring for orphans, widows, and other unfortunates. The courage with which some of their number faced death and persecution impressed even their bitterest enemies.

source

..continued one more ref
    To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

continued:

and finally my best reference text, (every page category and years)
    Source: THE TIMETABLES OF HISTORY Bernard Grun Touchstone Books

THE TIMETABLES OF HISTORY Bernard Grun Touchstone Books Page 24 ISBN 0671249886
    (under category column 'Religion, Philosophy, Learning') (years -50 to -1 and 1 to 50)
    -50 to -1 (BCE 50 to BCE 1)Probable date of the birth of Jesus Christ at Bethlehem -4 after adjustment of calendar 1 to 50 (AD 1 to AD 50)
    Baptism of Jesus Christ (27)
    Probable date of crucifixion of Jesus Christ (30)
    One of the earliest Christian churches erected at Corinth (c. 40)
    St. Paul sets out on his missionary travels (45)

source

To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

tldr
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by jordanriver View Post
        IMHO, there is no need to invade Science classrooms with religious history, since religious history is already represented in World History Class TEXTBOOKS
        It's also rather largely present in Philosophy classrooms, as well it should be.
        "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
        --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

So ... I'm a little unclear about the point you're making. Are you saying that ID and YEC positions should not be taught in science because they are fundamentally religious positions? If so, I agree. However, having read your comments elsewhere I can't help feeling I'm getting that wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
            So ... I'm a little unclear about the point you're making. Are you saying that ID and YEC positions should not be taught in science because they are fundamentally religious positions? If so, I agree. However, having read your comments elsewhere I can't help feeling I'm getting that wrong.
            what was your conclusion about my position based on my comments elsewhere?

Comment

I think he's saying it's unnecessary to do so, since it can be taught elsewhere in schools without causing an uproar.

Comment

what was your conclusion about my position based on my comments elsewhere?
                I would have thought you were a proponent of teaching ID and/or YEC as science.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  tldr
                  no need.
                  They all say about the same.

The point is, the Jesus account is:

category: World History,

(something that happened, something that changed the world), and World History historians acknowledge that, based on the fact that their textbooks acknowledge that. I could have posted more and more, but at some point one has to stop. (overkill)

Comment

I would have thought you were a proponent of teaching ID and/or YEC as science.
                    I have posted my position that I do not put The Bible Creation Account in science category

Comment

I have posted my position that I do not put The Bible Creation Account in science category
                      Cool. We agree then.

Comment

Cool. We agree then.

Don't get too cozy with me, here are a couple more times when I alluded to Bible version as Category=History, where you might not like my personal conclusions.

on Oct 13

on Oct 1

Comment

Don't get too cozy with me, here are a couple more times when I alluded to Bible version as Category=History, where you might not like my personal conclusions.

on Oct 13

on Oct 1
                          I may not like your personal opinions but I think you're on the right track regarding science. Why are you in a hurry to find something to diminish this golden moment of togetherness?

Comment

I may not like your personal opinions but I think you're on the right track regarding science. Why are you in a hurry to find something to diminish this golden moment of togetherness?
                            total disclosure is better before than after.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X