Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Mormon Defectors are like Judas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Denying Christ is nowhere near the same as denying Joseph Smith. One can leave the Mormon church, condemn their doctrines, yet still be convinced that Jesus is the Christ, so there is no true comparison.
    Exactly. Could you imagine anyone proclaiming that denying, say, John Calvin, Martin Luther, John Wesley or any of the founders of the various Protestant denominations is tantamount to denying Christ?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      Denying Christ is nowhere near the same as denying Joseph Smith. One can leave the Mormon church, condemn their doctrines, yet still be convinced that Jesus is the Christ, so there is no true comparison.
      Unfortunately, by the time the Mormons are done screwing with somebody's head, they often reject Smith AND Christ.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

There are some passages that could be misinterpreted to support a full-on shunning of someone. But IMO that would be a misapplication of them because a full-on shunning doesn't make sense, given the many passages that talk about the possibility of repentance for someone who sins egregiously or otherwise needs to be "disfellowshipped". If you shun someone so completely that your whole faith community is prohibited from having any contact with them ever again, there would be no chance for that person to a) be in dialogue with believers that would lead them to repentance or b) express their repentance to the community if they did repent.

To be fair, not all LDS or LDS communities shun people who leave.

Comment

Originally posted by Kind Debater View Post
          There are some passages that could be misinterpreted to support a full-on shunning of someone. But IMO that would be a misapplication of them because a full-on shunning doesn't make sense, given the many passages that talk about the possibility of repentance for someone who sins egregiously or otherwise needs to be "disfellowshipped". If you shun someone so completely that your whole faith community is prohibited from having any contact with them ever again, there would be no chance for that person to a) be in dialogue with believers that would lead them to repentance or b) express their repentance to the community if they did repent.
          EGGzackly... for example, the whole "Church Discipline" thing in Matt 18 is not about "how to kick somebody out", but how to regain a brother.

To be fair, not all LDS or LDS communities shun people who leave.
          While I confess that my personal experience with Mormons who have left Mormonism is limited to half a dozen couples/families/individuals, in every one of those cases, the shunning was quite obvious. The lady in Salt Lake City that my wife and I met and ministered to said that some of her Mormon friends DID contact her, but it was very obvious that they were trying to do it "under the radar" and it would NOT be approved by their Church.

Incidentally, the SLC lady was in a situation where her husband was "shacking up" with another Church member, but was an "official" in the local Mormon Church, and when she went to talk to her Bishop, he told her she needed to submit to him and pray for him. There was no penalty to him whatsoever for his conduct.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            EGGzackly... for example, the whole "Church Discipline" thing in Matt 18 is not about "how to kick somebody out", but how to regain a brother.

While I confess that my personal experience with Mormons who have left Mormonism is limited to half a dozen couples/families/individuals, in every one of those cases, the shunning was quite obvious. The lady in Salt Lake City that my wife and I met and ministered to said that some of her Mormon friends DID contact her, but it was very obvious that they were trying to do it "under the radar" and it would NOT be approved by their Church.

Incidentally, the SLC lady was in a situation where her husband was "shacking up" with another Church member, but was an "official" in the local Mormon Church, and when she went to talk to her Bishop, he told her she needed to submit to him and pray for him. There was no penalty to him whatsoever for his conduct.
            How was it HER fault that her husband was sinning???
            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
              How was it HER fault that her husband was sinning???
              Mormonism, in my opinion, is incredibly sexist and male dominated.

Comment

Well, the whole males get to be gods and females just get to reproduce for eternity thing don't help!
                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Yep.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                    Well, the whole males get to be gods and females just get to reproduce for eternity thing don't help!
                    That, and the husband has to call the wife forth for her to be resurrected...
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X