Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Podcasts!!!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Favorite Podcasts!!!

Is anyone else here a Podcast listener? If so, what are some of your favorites, and what are you listening to now?

Here's some of the Podcasts that I listen to regularly on my phone while driving around or working out.

I'll start with some great history podcasts:

1. Saga Thing - This is a podcast about the Icelandic Sagas. A super enjoyable show by two scholars of medieval literature who banter about the Norse Sagas and Eddas. lots of vikings, and ancient Norse mythology, and medieval Christianity. One of my recent favorites! Still active.

2. The History of Rome - This is the podcast that spawned a hundred "History of..." copycats. Its the history of Rome from the early kingdom to its fall in the early middle ages. Done by a well read nonprofessional, but with impeccable research. Its one of the top, if not the top, historical podcast. This podcast has since been concluded, but is still a great place to start if you're interested in the topic.

3. History of Byzantium - The unofficial official continuation of the History of Rome podcast that explores the history of Rome in the East. This podcast was created by another amateur podcaster, but keeps the same spirit as the original History of Rome podcast. Extremely well read, and informative, and is still active.

4. Dan Carlin's - Hardcore History - Man this podcast is good. Its done by a professional journalist who has a passion for all things historical. It skips around history highlighting different eras, but in epic scale. The podcasts are thoroughly researched, and cover a range of topics including the Viking age, WWI, Genghis Khan, etc. Carlin is extremely passionate, and puts you right there in the midst of the action. Never a boring episode. The episodes range in length from 40 minutes to, more recently, 3 or more hours. Can't recommend enough. Still active.

5. Communio Sanctorum: The History of the Christian Church - Influenced by the History of Rome podcast, this podcast by Pastor Lance Ralston, pastor of Calvary Chapel of Oxnard (Ventura County, California) delves into the history of, well, the Christian church. I love this podcast. Very well researched. He puts a lot of work into it, and you can tell. He tries to be as historically objective as possible while discussing the subject, but sometimes can't help but be a pastor from time to time. I talked to him a bit about working on objectivity so that more people could get more out of it, and feel he really took that to heart when he relaunched the podcast by redoing the earlier episodes. Very occasionally he'll get into a side subject about his heart on a certain topic, but reminds the listener that this is his personal take one whatever. Anyways, I can't recommend this podcast enough. Still active.

6. The History of China - Another great amateur podcast that probably started thanks to the History of Rome podcast. This podcast is, again, very well researched, and is very interesting, but, for me personally, it can be a bit of a struggle to get through. I blame that mostly on the fact that all of the names seem to blend together for me. This podcast can be a bit dry, but mostly because it sticks to the ruling class. Occasionally it dips into things like Chinese mythology and religion, but not enough for my tastes. Still active.

7. The History of Iran - This is a podcast by a scholar of the "late antique Near East, mostly interested in the Sasanian and Byzantine empires and the early Islamic period". Its still getting on its feet, and there are occasional delays between episodes because he tends to move around a lot. The podcaster is very interesting to listen to, but because he's still new to this, it can be a little hard to follow. There's a sense with this podcast that he isn't sure if he wants to get super academic, or talk to a more general audience. I have hope that it'll get better over time. Still active.

8. NT Podcast - This is the podcast of professor Mark Goodacre. Very informative. Always fun to listen to. The podcasts are short, maybe 10-15 minutes or so, but packed with interesting content about the New Testament and early church. Sporadically updated.

9. Religions of the Ancient Mediterranean - This is a podcast by the Canadian scholar Philip Harland. I never noticed how often Canadians say "aboot" before listening to this podcast. Its again, very well researched, very informative, but is a bit more sophisticated than the average audience is probably used to. He has a very secular historical view of the religions of the ancient Mediterranean with a focus on 1st through 3rd century Christianity, but touches upon ancient Jewish, Zoroastrian, and Roman Pagan beliefs. The podcast can be sort of dry because he's mostly taping his college lectures with interspersed podcast commentary. I don't always agree with the presentation of the material since he does lean rather moderate/skeptical, but its good stuff all the same. Still active.

10. The Septuagint Sessions - This is a relatively new podcast that I'm still working through. Its by "Alexander von Humboldt Fellow in the Georg-August-Universität Göttingen and a Junior Research Fellow at the Oxford Centre for Hebrew and Jewish Studies". Basically its what it sounds like, a podcast on the Septuagint. This podcast is probably really more for those who know Ancient Greek, but as a novice, I still feel I'm learning a lot from it. Still active.

So that's it for now. There's a few more history podcasts that I really liked, but that I stopped listening to because they just didn't hit their groove with me, or because I just didn't have the time. I'll tune in next post with another topic full of interesting podcasts. So long for now!

2. Amen Manwë Súlimo amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I don't listen to a lot, but I'm going through The Tolkien Professor podcasts and some Open Yale courses which I treat as podcasts.

4. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian (Unorthodox)
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Those are some outstanding recommendations, Adrift! I'll need to check them out.

I listen to a lot of pop culture podcasts right now.

1. War Rocket Ajax- Reviews of new comics, and interviews with writers and artists from two of the writers from Comics Alliance. Also random tangents on pro wrestling, video games, old movies... They're also currently ranking every comic storyline they can get their hands on into a stupidly long list.

2. Movie Fighters- The same two guys as above watch bad movies on Netflix and then spend an hour moaning about them, but also breaking down just what makes them so bad. Warning, both contain a bit of language.

3. The NoSleep Podcast- Professional quality narrations of original horror stories written by listeners.

4. Midnight Cassette- Same premise, but the audio is designed to sound like an old cassette. Also sometimes reads stories by Poe, Lovecraft, and other greats.

5. Talkin Toons- Rob Paulsen, the voice of Pinky/Yakko Warner/15,000 other things interviews people from all over the landscape of Western animation.

6. The Arkham Sessions- Clinical Psychologist Andrea Latamendi analyzes Batman and his supporting cast.

7. Musings from the High Desert- I don't listen to as many Orthodox Podcasts as I used to, but I really enjoy this one in particular by a well-read priest in New Mexico and his wife about different different aspects of theology and modern life.
    Last edited by Kelp(p); 11-19-2014 at 07:46 PM.

6. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Great stuff guys! I was heavily into the Tolkien stuff when I was in high school back in the early 90s. Read a lot of Chrisopher Tolkien's editing of his father's material. That should be an interesting podcast to check out. I've briefly checked out some of the Yale open courses, but never dived too much into them.

I was a hardcore Marvel comics collector back in the early/mid 90s as well, but got bored with the soap opera aspect of the mainstream comics after awhile. Still, I'm interested in the goings on of some of my favorite characters (primarily Spider-Man, though I'm disappointed in some of the editorial directions by Joe Quesada). I should check out War Rocket Ajax.

Also, I'm a hardcore cult film buff. Anything horror, sci-fi, fantasy, surrealist or weird is my thing, but I like pretty much anything (except Musicals, I can't stand Musicals). I tried getting into "How Did This Get Made", but couldn't. They covered films that I had absolutely no desire to check out (like the Tyler Perry Madea films). I have a Netflix account, so maybe Movie Fighters will be more my speed. And Midnight Cassette sound terrific. I love old radio shows. For awhile I was into a couple history radio shows like Twilight Histories, which takes you through history as though you were a time traveler, with great sound effects and everything, but eventually I dropped it because I just didn't know how reliable the actual history was. I should probably pick that one up again, cause it really was pretty good.

Faith
    Christian (Unorthodox)
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If you like old radio, you should check this site out, though it's not technically a podcast. Twilight Zone/Outer Limits type fiction show from the 40s, that has since gone into public domain. Welcome to Night Vale is a lot of fun too if you don't mind the main character occasionally swooning over another man.

And yeah, after One More Day (and Sins Past, though that one is a little easier to ignore imo) it's hard for me to get into Spidey, too.

9. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelp(p) View Post
    If you like old radio, you should check this site out, though it's not technically a podcast. Twilight Zone/Outer Limits type fiction show from the 40s, that has since gone into public domain. Welcome to Night Vale is a lot of fun too if you don't mind the main character occasionally swooning over another man.
    Oh, that's so cool. You know what's funny, there's this Christian radio show called Unshackled, and its hokey as all get out, but I love listening to it, because they still do the old radio programs. I LOVE that stuff! Love Twilight Zone and Outer Limits. Totally my thing.

And yeah, after One More Day (and Sins Past, though that one is a little easier to ignore imo) it's hard for me to get into Spidey, too.
    Yeah, I'm convinced Marvel love Spider-Man, but HATES Peter Parker. They got rid of his wife (cause they didn't know how to write a married super hero (should have taken hints from the indie comic Saga)), then rewrote Gwen Stacy's storyline so that she cheated on him. Then killed him and had his arch-nemesis possess his body, and before all that, tried to get rid of him altogether with the Ben Riley storyline. Drives me nuts, and that's why I can't read mainstream comics anymore. LOL.

Faith
    Christian (Unorthodox)
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yeah, totally. I'm so tired of the current DC (rip off aaaaaaaaaaall of the arms) and Marvel offerings. I'm sticking to old stuff and indie comics right now (I've almost completed my collection of Denny O'Neil 86-92 Question comics). I do want to check out Saga at some point. I've also got the first trade of Ryan North's The Midas Flesh on order for December.

I must sound like such a hipster lol.
    Last edited by Kelp(p); 11-19-2014 at 09:49 PM.

12. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I forgot all about Unshackled. Hokey as hell, but quaint.

14. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Slave for Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Grace To You -- John MacArthur's radio ministry of his sermon snippets.
    Last edited by The Melody Maker; 11-20-2014 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Clarification
    ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight_spam!

16. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Melody Maker View Post
    What's it all about? Music? Sermons? A combination?