Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Favorite Podcasts!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kelp(p) View Post
    Lol, you just made me feel really old. When I was growing up, my parents would only play the oldies station.
    Yeah, my mother used to play those oldies stations as well. It always bugged me that they never played a B-side though. It was the same songs over and over again. That's one of the reasons I really like these podcasts. Rarely hear an A-side, always hear that cut that didn't make it.

My dad was a hippy, and I went through a major hippy phase in high school in the late 80s early 90s. Even was interested in, and collected 60s music posters for a bit ( Mouse and Kelley, Rick Griffin, Victor Moscoso, Wes Wilson, etc.) was also really into the 60s and 70s underground comix stuff from Robert Crumb, Gilbert Shelton and what not. Later when I got into punk a lot of those same passions gravitated that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      Awesome! Thank you Kelp. I've been looking for some good Orthodox podcasts (I'm always interested in a diversity of theological opinions and views). I'll be adding this one to my list today.
      Hopko is definitely one of the best living Orthodox podcasters. You can find a whole lot of the talks he's given over the years online as well. Worship in Spirit and TruthIs his ongoing breakdown of the Orthodox Divine Liturgy examining the theological underpinnings of each phrase and action. Speaking the Truth in Love is his main current podcast. He has a great ongoing series within it called "The Bishops" in which he goes through church history by century or so in terms of the what the leadership was doing.

Other good ones I've listened to:

Glory to God by Father Stephen Freeman is another really good one.

Search the Scriptures, Bible commentary from Dr. Jeannie Constantinou

At the Intersection of East and West Deacon Michael Hyatt, commentary and catechectical lectures

Hearts and Minds by Fr. John Oliver

Frederica Here and Now- Pop Orthodox speaker Fredercia Matthewes-Green

Roads from Emmaus- Fr. Andrew Stephen Damick

Lord Send Me!- Orthodox missiology and a few other topics

Faith and Philosophy- Clark Carlton

Theology lectures by Dr. Philip Karaitlis

Lectures from Saint Vladimir's Seminary

Come and See Fr. Philip Hall's homilies

Coffee with Sister Vassa- Lecture's by a nun and liturgy professor
      O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

A neat video of dead languages!

Comment

Oh good! I'm going to check these out. Thanks again!

Comment

You're very welcome
          O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

Comment

Podcasts part 4

This will be the conclusion to the music podcasts,

1. The Mal Thursday Show - Another eclectic mix of psychedelic and garage rock. Listeners can expect bands like The Electric Prunes, early Yardbirds, The 13th Floor Elevators, The Kinks, and a bunch of bands you've never heard of before.

2. Mottey's Garage - Little bit of everything. Punk, Proto-Punk, Garage Rock (old and new), good ol' rock n' roll and pop from folks like Chuck Berry and Neil Diamond, Psychobilly, like I said, a little bit of everything. I probably should have listed all of these weirdo garage/psychedelic/proto-punk/50s and 60s rock/indie type podcasts in one heading. As a matter of fact, that's what I'm going to do. If you dig this sound you're probably also going to like the following podcasts: The Rock & Roll Rampage Show, Way Past Cool, You Got Good Taste, eclecticcity, and Get Weird with Bo Davis.

3. Uncensored History of the Blues - What a terrific little podcast. The DJ spins old blues albums from the 20s and 30s. Not much more to say about it other than that. If authentic blues is your thing, then check this podcast out.

4. Communion After Dark Radio - This is a decent mix of Goth, EBM (electronic body music), Synth-pop/Future-pop and Industrial. This show is more focused on the electronic genres than Goth Rock proper which is a little bit regrettable in my opinion, but oh well.

5. This is electro Swing! - This is a podcast dedicated to swing (and other pre-60s music genres) that have been remixed and uptempo'd with a modern dance beat. Pretty good stuff here, but sometimes it devolves into an electronic umph umph umph sound that reminds me a little of polka.

6. Sinner's Crossroads with Kevin Nutt - This is another WFMU show, but unlike the really weird stuff I mentioned previously, this show is all about old school black gospel music, which includes everything from chain gang type stuff, to old spirituals, to standard praise and worship. The DJ spins music going as far back into the past as he can. Lots of 1920s/30s stuff here, but he'll also hit gospel music as late as the 70s (maybe later). This is a secular show, so the DJs interest is purely musical/historical, and in between songs sometimes he'll play weird commercials from the 70s and 80s for goofy Southern ministries that are obvious scams, but as far as history goes its all fascinating to listen to.

Okay, that's all for now. Stay tuned!

Comment

Oooo, I'll definitely listen to the blues one!

Comment

So bumping this back up as i've got a few new podcasts to add:
                1. El diabolik's World of Psychotronic Soundtracks - The best of groovy and psychedelic movie soundtracks from the 60s and 70s. Lots of foreign and b-movie music. Got a real dirty grindhouse feel to it. Great stuff.

2. Under the Crossbones - The previously mentioned Bilgemunky Pirate Radio was canceled. This is a new music podcast that I haven't had a chance to check out yet, but should be a decent replacement.

3. Love + Radio - This is a non-music podcast described as: "in-depth, otherworldly-produced interviews with an eclectic range of subjects, from the seedy to the sublime." One of my faves.

4. History of Germany Podcast - I love me some history podcasts, and this is one of my recent finds. The creator is bilingual in English and german, and so actually has two of these podcasts depending on your language preference. He also does a podcast on Bohemia, alchemy, and one called the Secret Cabinet, which I'll mention below. I like him. He can sort of stumble over his words sometimes, but he's got a decent radio voice, his material is pretty well researched, his fluency in German really helps get some of the harder names knocked out, and he does the occasional interview with experts in the field. Great stuff!

5. Criminal - This is one of my favorite podcasts to listen to. Basically a podcast that explores crime and criminals, from the mundane to the eerie and grotesque. Fascinating stories done in a sort of This American Life, interview and storytelling format.

6. 99% Invisible - This podcast is described as, "Its goal is to expose the unseen and overlooked aspects of design, architecture, and activity in the world. Each episode generally focuses on a single topic or specific example of design, often including interviews with architects, experts, or people who have been influenced by the design." which makes it sound really boring, but it's not anything like what you think. It's in the same network as Love + Radio and Crime, and it's an interview and storytelling podcast in the vein of This American Life. It's mostly about weird and interesting facts, with some emphasis on design, old monuments, buildings and the like. The first show that attracted me to it was about an unpickable lock in the 1800s, and the development of the lock in general, which is not something you really think about...

7. The Flop House - This is kind of a dumb podcast about really bad movies. These three friends go watch badly made films, and then talk about it later on, then must vote on if it was a good movie, a bad movie, or a bad movie that was so bad that it was good. Most fall in the second category. It's a funny show. I only listen to the ones that talk about films I've already seen. I've seen a lot of bad movies...

8. You Must Remember This - Another of my favorite podcasts. This podcast is described as, "The podcast about the secret and/or forgotten history of Hollywood's first century". It's a fascinating look into the lives of Hollywood's most celebrated, and Hollyweird's most unusual. I'm working my way through the 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die list, and I find this an invaluable resource in getting to understand what was going on at different times in Hollywood, and the dirt of some of the major players. Lots of very decent voice acting as well.

9. The Memory Palace - This podcast is in the same network as 99% Invisible, Crime, and Love + Radio. It's a storytelling podcast where the creator builds in the listener's mind true life stories of bygone ages in lots of flowery detail. Very pretty podcast. Unfortunately the shows are very short as well.

10. The 1001 Movies Podcast - This is a recent one for me where the creator reviews the films he's seen on the 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die list. I only listen to the ones I've already watched. I don't agree with all of his reviews, but he offers plenty of interesting facts about the films, so it makes it worth it. I write my own reviews on Facebook, so it's interesting to compare notes.

11. The Secret Cabinet - This is by the same guy who does the History of Germany podcast. It's a new one for me, but I really like it. Each episode is a short investigation into weird history and artifacts, from Napoleon's preserved penis (now in a private collection), Florence Foster Jenkins (the worst singer of her time), to New York's mysterious underground tunnels. Really fun stuff.

12. Remarkable Lives Tragic Deaths - I haven't actually listened to this podcast yet. Just found out about it recently. But I think the title is self-explanatory.

13. History of the Papacy Podcast - Again, self-explanatory. I'm relatively new to this podcast, so I don't know how I feel about it yet. The podcaster is a bit dry and dorky sounding. I think the topic is very interesting, so I'll give it a few more listens. He turned me off in the 2nd or 3rd episode when he recommended Robert Price's podcast for a secular look into Christianity. We'll see how it goes.

So, that's all for now!
                Last edited by Adrift; 09-20-2016, 01:40 PM.

Comment

I used to watch the Screensavers with Leo Laporte and Patrick Norton on TechTV until the channel got canceled. Now they do podcasts.

Leo has TWiT which consists of several tech podcasts that you can see here:
                  https://twit.tv/shows?shows_active=1

Patrick Norton, in addition to having a podcast on TWiT, also does a video podcast at TekThing.
                  http://www.tekthing.com/blog/

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    I used to watch the Screensavers with Leo Laporte and Patrick Norton on TechTV until the channel got canceled. Now they do podcasts.

Leo has TWiT which consists of several tech podcasts that you can see here:
                    https://twit.tv/shows?shows_active=1

Patrick Norton, in addition to having a podcast on TWiT, also does a video podcast at TekThing.
                    http://www.tekthing.com/blog/
                    They mostly about the latest tech and gadgets and whatnot? Sounds interesting. I used to listen to The Kim Komando Show on the radio, but then my radio went out, so I stopped listening. She's more novice/popular level than anyone on TechTV (which I never watched in it's initial run...didn't have cable).

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                      They mostly about the latest tech and gadgets and whatnot? Sounds interesting. I used to listen to The Kim Komando Show on the radio, but then my radio went out, so I stopped listening. She's more novice/popular level than anyone on TechTV (which I never watched in it's initial run...didn't have cable).
                      Yeah they are fairly technical. Mostly news and reviews of tech and the tech industry. Helps me keep up with what's happening in the computer industry.

yeah never was impressed with Kim Komando. Truthseeker likes her though. I find her too commercial and like you said, geared towards novices who don't know any better and think she is a tech goddess or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        Yeah they are fairly technical. Mostly news and reviews of tech and the tech industry. Helps me keep up with what's happening in the computer industry.

yeah never was impressed with Kim Komando. Truthseeker likes her though. I find her too commercial and like you said, geared towards novices who don't know any better and think she is a tech goddess or something.
                        Her name also sounds like a girl G.I. Joe.

Comment

I'm biased because I'm involved with its making, but I like the Rethinking Hell podcast. It's a theology podcast that promotes annihilationism.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            I'm biased because I'm involved with its making, but I like the Rethinking Hell podcast. It's a theology podcast that promotes annihilationism.
                            Just went up to the top of my list. I'm not an annihilationist myself, but you certainly piqued my curiosity!

Comment

Rebump! New list of my favorite or currently listened to podcasts, no specific order:

1. All Songs Considered - This is an NPR show that focuses on new music of all styles, but I've found to have a heavier focus on Indie projects than mainstream. They'll usually discuss the artist and the music and either play a snippet or a whole track. It's a good way of finding new music.

2. The Christian History Podcast - I recently discovered this podcast, and am looking forward to digging in. I needed something to fill in the Communio Sanctorum: The History of the Christian Church slot, since that show now seems to have finished.

3. Anti Aging Hacks - Another show I recently discovered. Don't know if it's any good, but I'm in my mid-40s now, and figured it's better to start looking now than never for good tips on how to remain youthful.

4. The History of Egypt Podcast - I discovered this show a couple years ago, and while the host is very good, and the information is well laid out, I just never got super invested in it because of commitments to other shows. Also all of those Egyptian names begin to blend after awhile. I need to get back into this one because it really is pretty fascinating stuff.

5. Ask NT Wright Anything - This is a relatively new show that is a joint venture between Premier Christian Radio's Unbelievable! host, Justin Brierley, and New Testament scholar Tom Wright where Brierley asks Wright questions that are written in by audience listeners. Also includes Prof. Wright singing a folk song at the end of each show. Great stuff!

6. Reasonable Faith Podcast - I'm astonished that I don't have this podcast on here already. I feel like I've been listening to it for ages. As the name implies, this is Christian philosopher, William Lane Craig's apologetics podcast based off of his popular book and ministry, where he and his co-host Kevin Harris discuss listener questions, skeptic blog articles, previous and upcoming debates, and anything else relevant to the apologetic world.

7. The History of Vikings - Haven't had a chance to listen to this one yet, but looking forward to it. Thinking this will replace Saga Thing which i mention on page one. I stopped listening to that one a few years ago, not because it wasn't good, but because as they got deeper into the series, I felt that I needed to have read the sagas to keep all of the facts straight in my head. I need to go back and revisit that one as well.

8. The Bible Project - Fantastic little theology podcast by the same guys who do the phenomenal animated Bible Project Youtube series. Basically, it's two guys, the animator for the Youtube series Jon Collins, and Old Testament scholar and pastor at Portland's Skate Church Tim Mackie as they discuss doctrine, history, and theology of the Bible. I was delighted to later hear them interviewed on Dr. Heiser's podcast The Naked Bible, which I suppose I'll discuss next.

9. The Naked Bible Podcast - This is Old Testament scholar Dr. Michael Heiser's podcast in association with his ministry of the same name where he and co-host Trey Stricklin discuss all sorts of Biblical topics relevant mainly to Dr. Heiser's work on the Divine Council, the supernatural realm, and the Old Testament in general. Super informative stuff even where I don't always agree with it. It also includes interviews with other Christian ministries and scholars, but large chunks of the podcast are devoted doing multi-part commentary on audience selected books of the Bible. Great stuff even if Dr. Heiser can sound a little overconfident for my tastes, and Stricklin can kinda be annoying when he's attempting to be funny, but thankfully he usually only interjects at the intro and end.

10. This American Life - This is another NPR podcast/radio show, hosted by Ira Glass. It's a journalistic/documentary story telling series that digs into a different theme each week. Ira Glass is largely influential in how many mainstream podcasts sound today. It's hard to explain if you're unfamiliar with the format, but essentially he'll do the intro that discusses the theme of the show, and then other producers/journalists will spin their story about the person or thing they're investigating. There's a sort of rhythm based on vocal characteristics and editing that makes his show the template for so many others. Anyhow, it's quite good if you just want to listen to good stories, but frustratingly, like many podcasts today, its occasional left lean can be a nuisance if you want politics-free content.

11. The Ancient World - Pretty much as the name suggests, this is a podcast about the ancient world, generally sticking to the Mediterranean region. Like the History of Egypt podcast, it's one I dip my toes into occasionally, and just get bogged down by other podcast before I can get back into it. It's good stuff, with a knowledgeable host (I believe he's a scholar of the period), but I just find other stuff to keep myself entertained.

12. Every Little Thing - This is a very light podcast about, well, everything. It's a show where the host gets audience questions answered by experts on all sorts of interesting and mundane topics in a fun and lighthearted way. Here are the last three show titles to get an idea of what I mean, "How to Get rid of an Earworm," "Fruit Flies: Seriously, Where Do They Come From?," "Don't Underestimate the Flamingo."

13. Peeranormal - This is another podcast by Dr. Heiser. In this one, Dr. Heiser sits down with several other co-hosts, including Trey Strickland from The Naked Bible, but also a blogger named Natalina, Hollywood movie screenwriter Brian Godawa, founder of Seers See Ministries Doug Overmyer, and theologian/pastor Douglas Van Dorn. In the tradition of shows like Leonard Nimoy's In Search Of... or Art Bell/Geogre Noory's Coast to Coast AM (which Dr. Heiser has been a guest of several times), they discuss the weird, the supernatural, and the mysterious (themes like ghosts, ESP, Deju Vu, Crop Circles, Sleep Paralysis, Big Foot, etc.) from a Christian perspective, but with an emphasis on scholarly and peer reviewed research into these phenomena. I just started listening to this show recently (though I've known of it for some time), and so far it's a little bit rough, but it is entertaining if you're into the subject matter.

Ok, I have a number of other shows to add to the list, but this is long enough for now, so I guess I'll stop here.

Comment

1. Apologia Radio
                                2. Grace To You
                                3. The Briefing with Albert Mohler
                                4. Cold Case Christianity- J. Warner Wallace
                                5. Info Wars
                                6. The Dividing Line
                                7. Coast To Coast AM
                                8. Louder With Crowder
                                9. The Larry Elder Show
                                10. Dennis Prager

Comment