Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Podcasts!!!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Okay, Podcasts part 2.

This is probably going to be less relevant to most folks, but I have pretty eclectic tastes, so maybe something will appeal someone here.

1. Bilgemunky Pirate Radio - This one's just for Sparko. A whole podcast full of a mix of old sea shanties and modern music devoted to all things pirate. They also had a naughty spin off podcast show that was filled with lots of stuff you didn't want the kids to hear. It was pretty funny though, and had a feeling of legit pirate talk. Unfortunately the show called it quits this year, and so is no longer active.

2. The Bored-Again Christian - This is a wonderful Christian rock podcast, but you're not going to find anything in the way of CCM or anything you'll hear on your standard Christian rock station here. This stationed is tailored towards a more indie and alternative rock sound, and the music on the show is not necessarily by Christian bands, so you're just as likely to hear something from They Might be Giants, or Tom Waits as you are someone like Sufjan Stevens or Danielson, but all of the songs are thematically about spirituality and faith. There's also some tongue-in-cheek, self-conscious ribbing between songs, so if you're easily offended, this might not be the show for you. Unfortunately the DJ hasn't updated the show since 2012, so this is no longer active.

3. The Eternal Now with Andy Ortmann - This is a broadcast out of WFMU in NJ. WFMU is a free format radio station that plays pretty much whatever the DJs finds interesting that day, but shows typically have general themes. The theme of this show is just anything...weird. Its a mix of experimental, noise, obscure, bizarro music. There's stuff on this show that falls into the Noise music genre, which is basically what it sounds like. Noise isn't really my cup of tea (even though I have acquaintances who create it), but between the super-experimental stuff is some genuinely interesting weird and wacky music that I can groove to. Still active.

4. Mashup & Remix Archive - Ever wondered what The Eurythmics Here Comes the Rain Again would sound like if it was mixed with The Doors Riders on the Storm? No? Well you probably don't know what you're missing then. This station presents some of the best music mashups currently out there. Some of them work, some of them don't, but if you ever wondered what The Beatles vs. Motley Crue, Lil John vs. Public Enemey vs. Survivor, or Daft Punk vs Everything But The Girl sounded like, this is where to go. Still active.

5. RadioNowhere Radio Nowhere is actually a variety of shows. All of them great. All of them eclectic. For instance, there's the Doggone History of Country Music show that plays a terrific mix of old and modern Western, Folk, and Americana music (you won't find any normal country-pop on this station); And there's Filmic, which is a show that is nothing but great film score music. You'll find Danny Elfman, Ennio Morricone, Goblin, John Williams, Hans Zimmer, and the like here. You'll also find a number of great alternative, post-punk, and indie shows on this podcast. Still active.

6. Maximum Rocknroll Radio - This is the podcast of the radio show by the same name, which is also the name of the old fanzine by the same name. This is nothing but old school and hardcore punk rock. If you're looking for pop-punk like Green Day (or whoever the pop flavor of the day is), you're not going to find it here. Still active.

7. Liz Berg - This is another WFMU show. Another eclectic mix of the weird and wonderful, but with less of the super experimental noise stuff you hear on The Eternal Now. A typical show will have a mix of folk, sound collages, post-punk, disco, and just about anything odd, obscure, or weird you can think of. Still active (I think).

8. Jugtown - Just what it sounds like. Its pretty much hillbilly music with a mix of old country and western, folk, Americana, bluegrass, rockabilly, and sometimes even actual jug blowing.

9. Irish and Celtic Music Podcast - Just what it sounds like. Classic and modern takes on Celtic music. The DJ is also a musician, and has pretty decent taste. Its not as good, in my opinion, as The Thistle & Shamrock on NPR, but still pretty darn good.

10. Coverville - This is a fun show that's nothing but bands covering the music of other bands. Mostly rock based, but the mix of rock is pretty widespread. There's covers of the Rolling Stones, Kinks, Led Zepplin, Katy Perry, Lenny Kravitz, The Sisters of Mercy, Sheena Easton.... you name it, its probably been covered. Most of the cover musicians are also well known musician, so its not unusual to hear like, I don't know Alice Cooper covering Alice in Chains...or something like that. Anyways, its a lot of covers.

Okay, well I'll continue the music podcast list tomorrow. So stay tuned!

2. Amen Kelp(p) amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Podcasts part 3

Music podcasts continued...

11. Aural Apocalypse - This podcast bills itself as A Soundtrack for the Final Days, and that sounds about right. This is pretty dark stuff, and includes genres like Neofolk, Noise, Martial Industrial/Military Pop, Post-Industrial, Dark Ambient, Military March, etc. I like this stuff, but its not for everyone, and probably shouldn't be for everyone. A lot of bands in these genres are associated with Nordic Neo-Paganism (Heathenry) and occultism, but there are also a (growing) number of bands associated with Christianity as well. These genres are also sometimes controversial because of their use of, and interest in, fascist imagery and themes. Most bands don't show any interest in this subject matter at all, but there are enough that do that I'd be remiss if I didn't mention it. The reason for this interest is sometimes tied to historical curiosity, sometimes as shock theater, and occasionally because of the actual neo-fascist leanings of some artists.

12. Eclectic Bliss - Another podcast spinning modern indie and alternative music.

13. The Ledge - A podcast spinning punk, post-punk, indie, alternative, new wave, garage rock, etc.

14. Danger Radio Podcast - Yet another podcast spinning Old School Punk, Post-punk, Indie/Alternative, and the like. If you couldn't tell by now, this is the type of music I really like.

15. Meyer Auditorium Concert Series - Each show has a theme that mostly focuses on traditional, classical, and jazz world music. So its not uncommon to hear Persian classical music one week, Vietnamese folk music the next, and Indian lute music the week after that. There used to be a FANTASTIC podcast out of Utah called Radio Cosmopolis, that was focused on world music old and new (afrobeat, turkish garage rock, vietnamese doowop, classical indian sitar and tabla, etc.), but that shows been canceled, and so the Meyer Auditorium Concert Series is probably the closest I'm going to get for now.

16. d|sonoras - This is, I believe, a Portuguese podcast that focuses on Goth, Darkwave, some Industrial and the like. Not for everyone, but totally my thing.

17. GaragePunk Pirate Radio - Ok, this one is not necessarily for Sparko. The pirate in Pirate Radio is referring back to the type of music you might hear on illegal radio broadcasts back in the mid to late 60s. This podcast is actually a network of shows focusing on garage rock of the 60s, 70s and today, and includes proto-punk, rockabilly, psychobilly (and other-billys), 60s surfer and spy music, tiki lounge music, rock, and rhythm and blues. Great stuff!

18. Norb Rozek's Podcast - Pretty sure this show is in the GaragePunk Pirate Radio network. Anyways, this podcast focuses on garage rock, proto-punk, and old school punk rock.

19. Thee Polyvinyl Craftsmen - Another one that I believe is in the GaragePunk Pirate Radio network. This podcast again focuses on punk (including proto and post punk), industrial, goth, new wave, alternative, psychedelic rock, garage rock, sometimes doom metal, just anything kinda weird and interesting.

20. Shout Bamalama! - This one I know is in the GaragePunk Pirate Radio network. It features 60s surf music, 60s and 70s garage rock, 50s and 60s doo-wop, early 60s R&B and soul music, some rockabilly and psychobilly, and bunch of other cool genres.

Okay, well that's it for this round. I think I have one more music podcast to bore you all with, and then I'm moving on to another type of podcast material. By the way, I listen to all of these podcasts. Maybe not all of them everyday, but they're all played eventually. I play the majority of the music podcasts at work, and my current coworkers are surprisingly cool with it. Most people who come into our part of the office look at me crazy and ask "what the heck are you listening to?", but the guys I work with all day are great about it. One of them even calls it Barnes and Nobles, or Borders bookstore music, because that's the only way he can contextualize music that he doesn't know from top 40 radio. That makes me a little sad, but I hope I'm expanding his horizons. He's now a fan of the Beatles, Hendrix, The Cure, and a bunch of modern indie bands thanks to what's playing all day, so I find that to be a bit of breakthrough.

Faith
    Christian (Unorthodox)
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Lol, you just made me feel really old. When I was growing up, my parents would only play the oldies station. I was shocked for a second to hear you say there's someone out there who doesn't consider the Beatles to be Top 40.

5. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian (Unorthodox)
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    This is one I often returned to for comfort in the past. Fr. Thomas Hopko's series on The Names of Jesus in Scripture http://www.ancientfaith.com/podcasts/namesofjesus I don't recall hearing anything in it that would be offensive to non-Orthodox and it's a great remind of just how awesome our Lord is and how He permeates Scripture.

7. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelp(p) View Post
    This is one I often returned to for comfort in the past. Fr. Thomas Hopko's series on The Names of Jesus in Scripture http://www.ancientfaith.com/podcasts/namesofjesus I don't recall hearing anything in it that would be offensive to non-Orthodox and it's a great remind of just how awesome our Lord is and how He permeates Scripture.
    Awesome! Thank you Kelp. I've been looking for some good Orthodox podcasts (I'm always interested in a diversity of theological opinions and views). I'll be adding this one to my list today.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelp(p) View Post
    Lol, you just made me feel really old. When I was growing up, my parents would only play the oldies station.
    Yeah, my mother used to play those oldies stations as well. It always bugged me that they never played a B-side though. It was the same songs over and over again. That's one of the reasons I really like these podcasts. Rarely hear an A-side, always hear that cut that didn't make it.

My dad was a hippy, and I went through a major hippy phase in high school in the late 80s early 90s. Even was interested in, and collected 60s music posters for a bit ( Mouse and Kelley, Rick Griffin, Victor Moscoso, Wes Wilson, etc.) was also really into the 60s and 70s underground comix stuff from Robert Crumb, Gilbert Shelton and what not. Later when I got into punk a lot of those same passions gravitated that way.

10. Amen Kelp(p) amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian (Unorthodox)
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    Awesome! Thank you Kelp. I've been looking for some good Orthodox podcasts (I'm always interested in a diversity of theological opinions and views). I'll be adding this one to my list today.
    Hopko is definitely one of the best living Orthodox podcasters. You can find a whole lot of the talks he's given over the years online as well. Worship in Spirit and TruthIs his ongoing breakdown of the Orthodox Divine Liturgy examining the theological underpinnings of each phrase and action. Speaking the Truth in Love is his main current podcast. He has a great ongoing series within it called "The Bishops" in which he goes through church history by century or so in terms of the what the leadership was doing.

Other good ones I've listened to:

Glory to God by Father Stephen Freeman is another really good one.

Search the Scriptures, Bible commentary from Dr. Jeannie Constantinou

At the Intersection of East and West Deacon Michael Hyatt, commentary and catechectical lectures

Hearts and Minds by Fr. John Oliver

Frederica Here and Now- Pop Orthodox speaker Fredercia Matthewes-Green

Roads from Emmaus- Fr. Andrew Stephen Damick

Lord Send Me!- Orthodox missiology and a few other topics

Faith and Philosophy- Clark Carlton

Theology lectures by Dr. Philip Karaitlis

Lectures from Saint Vladimir's Seminary

Come and See Fr. Philip Hall's homilies

Coffee with Sister Vassa- Lecture's by a nun and liturgy professor

12. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Oh good! I'm going to check these out. Thanks again!

Faith
    Christian (Unorthodox)
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You're very welcome

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Podcasts part 4

This will be the conclusion to the music podcasts,

1. The Mal Thursday Show - Another eclectic mix of psychedelic and garage rock. Listeners can expect bands like The Electric Prunes, early Yardbirds, The 13th Floor Elevators, The Kinks, and a bunch of bands you've never heard of before.

2. Mottey's Garage - Little bit of everything. Punk, Proto-Punk, Garage Rock (old and new), good ol' rock n' roll and pop from folks like Chuck Berry and Neil Diamond, Psychobilly, like I said, a little bit of everything. I probably should have listed all of these weirdo garage/psychedelic/proto-punk/50s and 60s rock/indie type podcasts in one heading. As a matter of fact, that's what I'm going to do. If you dig this sound you're probably also going to like the following podcasts: The Rock & Roll Rampage Show, Way Past Cool, You Got Good Taste, eclecticcity, and Get Weird with Bo Davis.

3. Uncensored History of the Blues - What a terrific little podcast. The DJ spins old blues albums from the 20s and 30s. Not much more to say about it other than that. If authentic blues is your thing, then check this podcast out.

4. Communion After Dark Radio - This is a decent mix of Goth, EBM (electronic body music), Synth-pop/Future-pop and Industrial. This show is more focused on the electronic genres than Goth Rock proper which is a little bit regrettable in my opinion, but oh well.

5. This is electro Swing! - This is a podcast dedicated to swing (and other pre-60s music genres) that have been remixed and uptempo'd with a modern dance beat. Pretty good stuff here, but sometimes it devolves into an electronic umph umph umph sound that reminds me a little of polka.

6. Sinner's Crossroads with Kevin Nutt - This is another WFMU show, but unlike the really weird stuff I mentioned previously, this show is all about old school black gospel music, which includes everything from chain gang type stuff, to old spirituals, to standard praise and worship. The DJ spins music going as far back into the past as he can. Lots of 1920s/30s stuff here, but he'll also hit gospel music as late as the 70s (maybe later). This is a secular show, so the DJs interest is purely musical/historical, and in between songs sometimes he'll play weird commercials from the 70s and 80s for goofy Southern ministries that are obvious scams, but as far as history goes its all fascinating to listen to.

Okay, that's all for now. Stay tuned!