Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

About Psalm 137

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They make pretty good salads, too!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      This has to be a joke. No one can be that much of a hypocrite.
      No it's not a joke; no i'm not a hypocrite; and, yes, Sparko doesn't have a smidgen of understanding, as evidenced here:

Originally posted by Sparko
      most of us feel that ANY abortion, at any stage of life, is state-sanctioned murder.
      In fact, many Christians have a more moderate pro-life view and don't consider ANY abortion, no matter the circumstance or stage of pregnancy, 'state-sanctioned murder."

The irony is that, as long as that extreme view persists, the movement won't reduce the amount of abortions. Catholics pushing hard against birth control serve as a perfect example of how far off the rails the movement has gone. Pro-birth has replaced pro-life.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnnyP View Post
        And they are actually prophecies/predictions/guesses of the future, as they are presented. Since Revelation discusses another Babylon falling, who's to say 137 isn't a dual prophecy? I'm pretty sure that all the kings of the earth haven't praised God yet, if they did I must have missed that one.
        Besides your own words can you provide a source?
        "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
        "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
        Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

• A similar view to mine:

Source: Biblical Horizons

The key to understanding the prophecy "against" Babylon in Psalm 137:8-9 is to remember who the Rock is in the psalter. The Rock is God. Dashing the children’s heads against the Rock is an image not of utter destruction but of salvation. (This is a great verse to preach on when doing an infant baptism.) Either a man falls upon the Rock and is saved, or the Rock falls upon him and crushes him (Luke 20:18). (In Psalm 137:9 "rock" is singular, not plural, contrary to the old King James and the NIV.) -Source

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

• How about a SCHOLARLY source?
            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
              That's a very blunt way of talking about a nuanced issue. I like the Bible as literature and mythology. It's commands and decrees are often morally repugnant. There are other issues that arise when it is claimed to be inerrant or modern Christian practices are compared to the original word.
              Blunt but completely accurate it appears.
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                How about a SCHOLARLY source?
                The old argument from authority, ok.
                Source: Wikipedia

James Burrell Jordan (born December 31, 1949) is an American Protestant theologian and author. He is the director of Biblical Horizons ministries, an organisation in Niceville, Florida that publishes books, essays and other media dealing with Bible commentary, Biblical theology, and liturgy.

After his 1982 ordination in the Association of Reformed Churches, Jordan served for five years alongside Ray Sutton as associate pastor of Westminster Presbyterian Church, in Tyler, Texas. He was also the director of Geneva Ministries and Geneva Divinity School.

Since 1988, Jordan has carried out his teaching and writing work full-time through Biblical Horizons, a Niceville, Florida-based research and publishing ministry. Biblical Horizons emphasizes the Trinity and biblical absolutism with a covenant-historical approach to interpretation and a focus on biblical theocracy, eschatology and worship.

Jordan has also served since 2000 as head of the Department of Biblical Studies at the Biblical Theological Seminary, St. Petersburg, Russia, where he teaches Old Testament and Eschatology. -Source

Would it help if I added a scholarly-looking image?

yahtzee.png

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2769[/ATTACH]
                  You should have LED with that! I'm SOLD!!!!!
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The old argument from authority, ok.
                    Source: Wikipedia

James Burrell Jordan (born December 31, 1949) is an American Protestant theologian and author. He is the director of Biblical Horizons ministries, an organisation in Niceville, Florida that publishes books, essays and other media dealing with Bible commentary, Biblical theology, and liturgy.

After his 1982 ordination in the Association of Reformed Churches, Jordan served for five years alongside Ray Sutton as associate pastor of Westminster Presbyterian Church, in Tyler, Texas. He was also the director of Geneva Ministries and Geneva Divinity School.

Since 1988, Jordan has carried out his teaching and writing work full-time through Biblical Horizons, a Niceville, Florida-based research and publishing ministry. Biblical Horizons emphasizes the Trinity and biblical absolutism with a covenant-historical approach to interpretation and a focus on biblical theocracy, eschatology and worship.

Jordan has also served since 2000 as head of the Department of Biblical Studies at the Biblical Theological Seminary, St. Petersburg, Russia, where he teaches Old Testament and Eschatology. -Source

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2769[/ATTACH]
                    Um, asking for a scholarly source is not an argument from authority. It's not even an argument.

Comment

• Also worthy of note is that it's daughter of Babylon. Zechariah was after Babylon fell to Persia. Who is the daughter, and who are her children?
                      Source: KJV

Psalms 137:8 O daughter of Babylon, who art to be destroyed; happy shall he be, that rewardeth thee as thou hast served us.

Revelation 18:2 And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird.

Revelation 18:4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

Zechariah 2:7 Deliver thyself, O Zion, that dwellest with the daughter of Babylon.

Psalms 137:9 Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

Comment

• I'm thinking this is what we call eisegesis. Or, maybe shoehorning.

Comment

• Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
                          Um, asking for a scholarly source is not an argument from authority. It's not even an argument.
                          I would have expected someone to argue how it can only be talking about First Temple Babylon and had nothing to do with the Babylon in Revelation, but I guess nobody wants to touch that one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            I'm thinking this is what we call eisegesis. Or, maybe shoehorning.
                            Then I assume you think the Babylon in Revelation is all about First Temple Babylon and nothing was said about any other Babylon by OT prophets. Ok.

Comment

• Originally posted by whag View Post
                              Catholics pushing hard against birth control serve as a perfect example of how far off the rails the movement has gone. Pro-birth has replaced pro-life.
                              The Catholic Church has always been against birth control for reasons that don't have much to do with abortion.

There is arguably a danger that it will spread to their Protestant and Orthodox fellow travelers, though.
                              O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

A neat video of dead languages!

Comment

Then I assume you think the Babylon in Revelation is all about First Temple Babylon and nothing was said about any other Babylon by OT prophets. Ok.
                                Johnny, you're trying too hard. Some things fit, others don't. When something doesn't fit, it doesn't mean that all others do not.

Your assumptions about my thinking are about as valid as your assumptions about prophecy in general.

Seriously, you're trying too hard.

Comment