Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

About Psalm 137

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kelp(p) View Post
    Ok.

I didn't mean to insult, either. Just trying to help.
    No prob, I understand!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• K.
      O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

A neat video of dead languages!

Comment

• There are certain posters with whom it just seems pointless to go "round and round" with, and I get trapped in that all too often. Sometimes, I have just said "I'm disengaging", but all too often I get dragged down into the mud, or drag somebody there myself.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to finish setting FirstFloor straight!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          There are certain posters with whom it just seems pointless to go "round and round" with, and I get trapped in that all too often. Sometimes, I have just said "I'm disengaging", but all too often I get dragged down into the mud, or drag somebody there myself.

I know what you mean. It happens to me all the time.
          O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

A neat video of dead languages!

Comment

Now there is a pointless effort.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              Yeah, I shoulda added them sadcasm tags.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                Reminds me of a Kingdom Hearts quote.

"A meaningless effort, one who knows nothing can understand nothing" Ansem.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelp(p) View Post
                  It's not just this one, it's a good deal of posts I've seen from you.
                  And to you too with knobs on.

And I'm saying that if the US had better governance, there is little reason to think our social problems wouldn't get better regardless of how religious we are (as you tacitly admit). Thus the fact that Norway is 76% atheist is not relevant to its higher IHDI. The explanation for the high levels of atheism must lie some place else.
                  Higher levels of atheism appear to be related to better overall education levels in the countries near the top of the IHDI, wherein religion tends to be discarded as irrelevant. Thus, while the social problems of the US would almost certainly get better with better governance, including overall higher education, this too would probably result in greater levels of atheism.
                  Last edited by Tassman; 11-26-2014, 11:19 PM.
                  “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnnyP View Post
                    A similar view to mine:

Source: Biblical Horizons

The key to understanding the prophecy "against" Babylon in Psalm 137:8-9 is to remember who the Rock is in the psalter. The Rock is God. Dashing the children’s heads against the Rock is an image not of utter destruction but of salvation. (This is a great verse to preach on when doing an infant baptism.) Either a man falls upon the Rock and is saved, or the Rock falls upon him and crushes him (Luke 20:18). (In Psalm 137:9 "rock" is singular, not plural, contrary to the old King James and the NIV.) -Source

© Copyright Original Source

Turns out St. Jerome held a similar view, where spawn of Babylon aren't people (my view) but sinful thoughts, dashed against the Rock of Christ:
                    Source: Willem J. de Wit

If we follow such an allegorical interpretation, it is not so difficult to say ‘amen’ to Psalm 137:9 (although the struggle with sinful thoughts can be hard and, at the same time, we may not always agree with Jerome which desires are sinful and which are not). To be clear, there is no indication in the homily that Jerome offers an allegorical interpretation because he found a literal interpretation of this verse too harsh : the whole psalm is allegorized without further explanation.

There is one phrase in Jerome’s commentary on this verse that we have not quoted so far. It may aggravate the feeling of estrangement that allegorical interpretations can cause, but it can also offer an important hermeneutical key to the psalm. The phrase is this: ‘Now the Rock is Christ.’ As such, the idea that Old Testament stones and rocks refer to Christ is not new. Jerome verbally repeats 1 Corinthians 10:4, where Paul identifies the water-giving rock in the desert with Christ. Moreover, in the concluding paragraph of his homily on Psalm 133, Jerome identifies the stone that Jacob used as a pillow, the stone that was rejected by the builders but that became the cornerstone and the stone that Samuel called Ebenezer all with Christ. The striking point in the comment on Psalm 137:9, however, is that Christ is also a rock against which little ones should be smashed. This is a dangerous thought. It easily legitimates the use of violence in Jesus’ name and for Christ’s sake. Of course, Jerome does not take the little ones literally, but the step from spiritual enemies to physical enemies is sometimes small. Nevertheless, dangerous thoughts are often not far from the truth. In our conclusion, we have to go back to the thought that the rock is Christ. -Source

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

Turns out...
                      that JohnnyP plans on wearing out Google in search of ANYTHING to support his wacky views. Film at 11!

Comment

that JohnnyP plans on wearing out Google in search of ANYTHING to support his wacky views. Film at 11!
                        What is this thread about?

Comment

What is this thread about?
                          The Chapter as a whole, not one verse out of context.

Comment

The Chapter as a whole, not one verse out of context.
                            In particular verse 9. What makes it out of context? Why do you assume nobody cares what St. Jerome thought about it?

Comment

In particular verse 9. What makes it out of context?
                              I'm thinking you have no concept whatsoever of "context".

Why do you assume nobody cares what St. Jerome thought about it?
                              Where did I say that nobody cares what St. Jerome thought? He is certainly entitled to an opinion, but just because he has "St." in front of his name does not make him right.

Comment

I'm thinking you have no concept whatsoever of "context". And St. Jerome is entitled to an opinion. Just because he has "St." in front of his name does not make him right.
                                It doesn't matter if he's right or not, others may be interested in it. It's not like I'm posting it just for you because you're special or something, you've already demonstrated that your mind is made up and not open to any other interpretation.

But if you want to keep complaining about context, you should at least show how it's out of context, when it is that that the context of Psalms 137:8-9 refers to future events from the time stated, and that the Babylon in Revelation doesn't only refer to Nebuchadnezzar's Babylon, but a time involving Christ.

Comment