Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

About Psalm 137

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    You are a master of misinterpretation, aren't you?

And where do you get the idea that anything an atheist states on any topic (religious or not) is wrong by default?
    I didn't say that, but who are The Arabs? They aren't Jews, but they may be Christians, like CowPoke said, "I have quite a few Arab Christian friends."

It's like saying, "Them there N-Words sure like their fried chicken and watermelon."

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelp(p) View Post
      Given what a giant misogynist Jerome was, claiming that Peter must have left his wife before he died so that he could have "washed away the stain of his married life by the blood of his martyrdom," I have a hard time trusting anything that the guy has to say about Scripture.
      Who cares, it's just another source to consider. I was asked for sources if you even read the entire thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        You would need to understand the history of Israel to grasp that, Johnny.

That's not just ignorant, it's PROFOUNDLY ignorant, and a HORRIBLE analogy. The fact that this even comes to your dark foolish mind is quite disturbing.
        And once again, I suppose you think all Arab Palestinians are Muslim and none Christian. That's ignorant.

Comment

• You Christians don't need any help tearing each other apart.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnnyP View Post
            Who cares, it's just another source to consider. I was asked for sources if you even read the entire thread.
            If you can say that CP should not have a quote from Golda Meir just because she was an atheist, then I can point out that Jerome was an anti-sex, woman hating nutcase who doesn't deserve to be quoted on Scripture.
            O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

A neat video of dead languages!

Comment

• Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
              You Christians don't need any help tearing each other apart.
              And you secularists don't need any help practicing eugenics and setting up murderous dictatorial regimes
              O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

Comment

And once again, I suppose you think all Arab Palestinians are Muslim and none Christian. That's ignorant.
                And, once again, you'd have to be calling me a liar, as I have already stated I have numerous Arab Christians friends, and just spent some time with some of them in Israel just last year.

Did your momma ever drop you on your head when you were a baby?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
                  You Christians don't need any help tearing each other apart.
                  We love each other, Pman.... this is just for show.

Kinda reminds me of when the Gonzales brothers would get into a big fight, then an outsider would step in to break it up, and they'd both beat the living patooties out of him.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I didn't say that, but who are The Arabs?
                    Dear Johnny,

This is where CONTEXT comes into play. Things like "who was Golda Meir" and what was the time period -- what was happening at the time? That gives you a clue into who, exactly, "The Arabs" were to whom she was referring. Those of us who know the history of Israel know that she is specifically talking about the Arabs who were committed to "wiping Israel off the face of the earth".

She was quite obviously NOT talking about peaceful Christian Arabs, or Arabs minding their own business, or 21st century Arabs. And all she was doing is pointing out that these particular Arabs - who were hell bent on the destruction of Israel - hated Israel more than they loved their own children.

I hope that helps.

Your friend,

CP
                    Last edited by Cow Poke; 11-27-2014, 10:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Dear Johnny,

This is where CONTEXT comes into play. Things like "who was Golda Meir" and what was the time period -- what was happening at the time? That gives you a clue into who, exactly, "The Arabs" were to whom she was referring. Those of us who know the history of Israel know that she is specifically talking about the Arabs who were committed to "wiping Israel off the face of the earth".

She was quite obviously NOT talking about peaceful Christian Arabs, or Arabs minding their own business, or 21st century Arabs. And all she was doing is pointing out that these particular Arabs - who were hell bent on the destruction of Israel - hated Israel more than they loved their own children.

I hope that helps.

Your friend,

CP
                      Sort of like if somebody says, "The Soviets invaded Afghanistan," they don't mean every single person in the Soviet Union nor are they indicting the innocent people of the Soviet Union who were treated unjustly by their state (including many Christians).

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelp(p) View Post
                        Given what a giant misogynist Jerome was, claiming that Peter must have left his wife before he died so that he could have "washed away the stain of his married life by the blood of his martyrdom," I have a hard time trusting anything that the guy has to say about Scripture.
                        Yes, that quote looks bad, and Jerome was hardly perfect. However, no context is given (and Dr. Schaff does not give a reference for the quote - only references to apparently similar statements). I also disagree with Mr. de Wit's characterization of Jerome's interpretation.
                        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Yes, that quote looks bad, and Jerome was hardly perfect. However, no context is given (and Dr. Schaff does not give a reference for the quote - only references to apparently similar statements). I also disagree with Mr. de Wit's characterization of Jerome's interpretation.
                          I found the place where Rufinus accuses Jerome of it but still looking for the original. Let me read Against Jovian tonight and get back to you in the morning.

Comment

• Ok, I just read Jerome's Letter to Oceanus. To sum up, he does describe marriage as a "stain" that cannot be washed away by baptism, but only in contrast to what he's arguing against. Oceanus is asking him if it is wrong to make a man bishop (a bishop must be "the husband of one wife" according to the books of 1 Timothy and of Titus) if he was married before his baptism, his first marriage ended, and he has since remarried before becoming bishop. Jerome points to a great bishop of Spain named Carterius who was married before baptism (I'm guessing that Carterius' wife died before he became Christian since Jerome doesn't bring up divorce) and remarried some time after his baptism but before becoming bishop.

Jerome is basically saying that in this case, the former marriage ought to be regarded as having gone out with the old man in baptism, not because it was a sin but because that was another life. Carterius had become a new creature in Christ. If Carterius' critics can't accuse him of any of the other sins a bishop must be blameless of in 1 Timothy 3- drunkenness, violence, covetousness, bad parenting, etc. then it isn't fair that they should blame him for having remarried since his baptism (and the fact that they do indicates that these people are not arguing in good faith).

Still looking for where and how Peter or martyrdom factors into this but things are looking up.
                            Last edited by Kelp(p); 11-27-2014, 11:46 PM.

Comment

• A time to tear down and a time to build up.

Comment

• A time to eat turkey and a time to eat bacon.

Comment