Announcement

Collapse

JW - Watchtower Society Guidelines

Theists only.

Knock, Knock!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society (the Jehovah's Witnesses). This forum is generally for theists only, and is not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theist may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Regligions Department.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: [urlhttp://theologyweb.com/campus/help#theologywebfaq/theologywebdecorum]Here[/url]
See more
See less

Paul: The Worship of the Lord Jesus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you should summarize it again just so you are clear in your delusions.

Comment

Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
      A. The Jehovah's Witnesses believe the Lord Jesus is not God and so therefore should never be worshiped.
      1. Reverent adoration should be expressed only to God. To render worship to anyone or anything else would be a form of idolatry...True Christians do well to direct their worship only to Jehovah God, the Almighty (Awake! April 8, 2000, page 26+27). Since "every prayer is a form of worship" (The Watchtower, December 15, 1994, page 23) this would mean that praying to the Lord Jesus is not allowed.

TO WORSHIP JESUS AS GOD IS TO WORSHIP AN “ICON”!

A visit to almost any place of worship will reveal how many religious people have elevated creatures (humans or otherwise) above the Creator. How so? By their image and icon veneration and their worship rendered to Saints, Madonnas, Crosses, some with and images of Jesus. (See Psalm 115:2-8; 2 Corinthians 5:7; 1 John 5:21).

The PAUL states of Jesus Christ at 2 Cor. 4:4:

“… that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image (Gk.“eikon”) of God, might not shine through.”

Colossians 1:15 He is the image (Gk.“eikon”) of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation;

“icon n. (also ikon) 1 painting of Christ etc., esp. in the Eastern Church. 2 image or statue. 3 symbol on a VDU screen of a program, option, or window, esp. for selection. iconic adj. [Greek eikon image].”-Oxford Dictionary

“image —n. 1 representation of an object, e.g. a statue. 2 reputation or persona of a person, company, etc. 3 appearance as seen in a mirror or through a lens. 4 mental picture or idea. 5 simile or metaphor. —v. (-ging) 1 make an image of; portray. 2 reflect, mirror. 3 describe or imagine vividly. be the image of be or look exactly like. [Latin imago imagin-].”-Oxford Dictionary

WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS ABOUT IMAGE OR ICON WORSHIP!

Exodus 20:4 “You must not make for yourself a carved image or a form like anything that is in the heavens above or that is on the earth underneath or that is in the waters under the earth.

Deut 27:15 “‘Cursed is the man who makes a carved image or a molten statue, a thing detestable to Jehovah, the manufacture of the hands of a wood-and-metal worker, and who has put it in a hiding place.’

Isa. 42:8 “I am Jehovah. That is my name; and to no one else shall I give my own glory, neither my praise to graven images.

The Point! If humans worship Jesus Christ then they worship an “image” (Gk. eikon) a “representation” a “copy” etc. which is idolatry:-

1 John 5:21 “Little children, guard yourselves from idols.”

BU

Comment

Originally posted by Bibleuser View Post
        TO WORSHIP JESUS AS GOD IS TO WORSHIP AN “ICON”!

A visit to almost any place of worship will reveal how many religious people have elevated creatures (humans or otherwise) above the Creator. How so? By their image and icon veneration and their worship rendered to Saints, Madonnas, Crosses, some with and images of Jesus. (See Psalm 115:2-8; 2 Corinthians 5:7; 1 John 5:21).

The PAUL states of Jesus Christ at 2 Cor. 4:4:

“… that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image (Gk.“eikon”) of God, might not shine through.”

Colossians 1:15 He is the image (Gk.“eikon”) of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation;

“icon n. (also ikon) 1 painting of Christ etc., esp. in the Eastern Church. 2 image or statue. 3 symbol on a VDU screen of a program, option, or window, esp. for selection. iconic adj. [Greek eikon image].”-Oxford Dictionary

“image —n. 1 representation of an object, e.g. a statue. 2 reputation or persona of a person, company, etc. 3 appearance as seen in a mirror or through a lens. 4 mental picture or idea. 5 simile or metaphor. —v. (-ging) 1 make an image of; portray. 2 reflect, mirror. 3 describe or imagine vividly. be the image of be or look exactly like. [Latin imago imagin-].”-Oxford Dictionary

WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS ABOUT IMAGE OR ICON WORSHIP!

Exodus 20:4 “You must not make for yourself a carved image or a form like anything that is in the heavens above or that is on the earth underneath or that is in the waters under the earth.

Deut 27:15 “‘Cursed is the man who makes a carved image or a molten statue, a thing detestable to Jehovah, the manufacture of the hands of a wood-and-metal worker, and who has put it in a hiding place.’

Isa. 42:8 “I am Jehovah. That is my name; and to no one else shall I give my own glory, neither my praise to graven images.

The Point! If humans worship Jesus Christ then they worship an “image” (Gk. eikon) a “representation” a “copy” etc. which is idolatry:-

1 John 5:21 “Little children, guard yourselves from idols.”

BU
        Hebrews 1: 5 For to which of the angels did God2 ever say, “You are my Son. Today I have become your Father”? Or again, “I will be his Father, and he will be my Son”? 6 And again, when he brings his firstborn into the world, he says, “Let all God’s angels worship him.”

So then - God commands that the angels commit idolatry? I find that kind of hard to believe.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Jesus didn't exactly keep His divine identity a secret. Remember that passage where Jesus treats a life threatening storm at sea as a minor inconvenience by telling it to be still and it ceases? The disciples realized that Jesus had to be divine due to onlly God doing something like that in the Old Testament.
          If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
            Jesus didn't exactly keep His divine identity a secret. Remember that passage where Jesus treats a life threatening storm at sea as a minor inconvenience by telling it to be still and it ceases? The disciples realized that Jesus had to be divine due to onlly God doing something like that in the Old Testament.
            JWs see Jesus as a sort of demigod. He is/was the incarnation of the angel Michael. After His death he went back to being an angel and his human body was put into eternal storage so it would never decay, as scripture describes.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              JWs see Jesus as a sort of demigod. He is/was the incarnation of the angel Michael. After His death he went back to being an angel and his human body was put into eternal storage so it would never decay, as scripture describes.
              That's just weird. OT identifies the archangel Michael as God himself. Gen 32: 24-30
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                That's just weird. OT identifies the archangel Michael as God himself. Gen 32: 24-30
                I think you're making some kind of unstated assumption here, because I don't see it. Jacob wrestles with a man who he afterwards identifies with God, but I don't see where the any connection is made between that man/God and the archangel Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                  I think you're making some kind of unstated assumption here, because I don't see it. Jacob wrestles with a man who he afterwards identifies with God, but I don't see where the any connection is made between that man/God and the archangel Michael.
                  I stand corrected. (yet again)
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                    I stand corrected. (yet again)

I mean, if you believe like I do that the Angel of the LORD in the OT is, at least in some cases, God the Son in pre-incarnate form you could make the case that Jacob wrestled with the Angel of the LORD/the Son, but that's still not the same as person as Michael.

Comment

I'll accept the OT record as valid and correct unless proven otherwise, and that people who declared that they had seen God knew what they were talking about (with the same caveat). So yes - Jake met God, but in the seeming of a man, and no mention of an actual name.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X