Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

What are the Best Collections of Irish Myths and Legends?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the Best Collections of Irish Myths and Legends?

I'm trying to narrow down what to buy in terms of translations and breadth of collections.
    O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

A neat video of dead languages!

Originally posted by Kelp(p) View Post
    I'm trying to narrow down what to buy in terms of translations and breadth of collections.
    I am very interested in sources too. I am writing the 'Ballad of Kilkenny.' I write poetry on an Irish/Scottish theme. The internet search provides some interesting sources. Start with Irish history here;

http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/users/...rian_boru.html.

This web site is ok for Irish Myths and Legends; http://www.theemeraldisle.org/irish-myths-legends/

The following books are some of my sources. I found that Irish poetry is a good source of putting Irish history, myths and legends in context.

The Book of Irish Verse edited by John Montague.

The Celts by Jean Markale pp 105 - 152

This is a start
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 11-26-2014, 12:58 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Thanks! And that's fascinating that you're your own poetry in that form!

http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/celt/index.htm also has a good collection, I've found.
      O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

A neat video of dead languages!

Comment

The best collections can be found in a pub full of older folk after buying several rounds of drinks

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I posted the first part of my Ballad of Kilkenny in this section.
          Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-02-2014, 04:19 PM.
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X