Announcement

Collapse

JW - Watchtower Society Guidelines

Theists only.

Knock, Knock!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society (the Jehovah's Witnesses). This forum is generally for theists only, and is not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theist may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Regligions Department.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: [urlhttp://theologyweb.com/campus/help#theologywebfaq/theologywebdecorum]Here[/url]
See more
See less

The Omnipotence and Omniscience of Jesus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You make an assertion about what Thayer believed but when asked to offer evidence you cite what someone else said about him while I cited what he actually wrote!

Time for you to start growing a brain......at least one that can work.
    Last edited by foudroyant; 05-29-2014, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
      You make an assertion about what Thayer believed but when asked to offer evidence you cite what someone else said about him while I cited what he actually wrote!

Time for you to start growing a brain......at least one that can work.
      Thayer once wrote that "The Logos was divine, not the divine Being himself", which puts you in a hole!!! Thayer may have had a similiar opinion to the Jewish philosopher/politician/Scribe Philo or for that matter the ancient Christian fathers Esuebuis,N, Eusibius,C, Novation, Athanasius, Basil the Great, the Gregories or any of the Nicene church fathers... you might start to grow a brain....at least one that can start to work. Might help you to start by reading Basil the Great and the Gregories who formulated much of the paradigm that the "modern" doctrine of the trinity is based on...

For a reality check (to see if you are actually a christian) read the Nicene Creed and see if you agree with it. If you disagree that (as christians) we believe in One God=Father and one Lord who is homoousios with the Father (=the Son, Jesus Christ), then we will all know where you stand!!!
      Last edited by apostoli; 06-14-2014, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Citation please.

Comment

Citation please.
          Could do!!! But I'll let you get off your lazy ignorant butt and find it for yourself. It is a famous quote and one you should be able to find in a quick moment in your obvious aptitude in using Google,

ps:

Nice try at diversion...answer the following question I proposed earlier...

For a reality check (to see if you are actually a christian) read the Nicene Creed and see if you agree with it. If you disagree that (as christians) we believe in One God=Father and one Lord who is homoousios with the Father (=the Son, Jesus Christ), then we will all know where you stand!!! So what is your opinion?
          Last edited by apostoli; 06-14-2014, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Another assertion without proof. You still haven't proved your assertion that Thayer was a Unitarian (Post #35). At best it's inconclusive (Post #44).

I don't feel compelled to respond to questions coming from an individual who doesn't have a clue as to how to properly cite his sources (Post #37 and #49). In addition to that when so much counter evidence gets ignored this lets me know that they are simply cuckoo and not worth responding to.
            Last edited by foudroyant; 06-14-2014, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Another assertion without proof. You still haven't proved your assertion that Thayer was a Unitarian (Post #35). At best it's inconclusive (Post #44).
              And yet the public record and all Thayer's trinitarian critics refute your stance! (ie: the majority scholarly and informed opinion simply consider you in denial). As I suggested to RBerman, it doesn't matter what Thayer's opinion was, as his Lexicon is now considered redundant (ie: As manuscript discoveries (secular and otherwise) of modern times have enlightened our understanding of the dead languages, Thayer's understanding has been proved to be of little relevance).

I don't feel compelled to respond to questions coming from an individual who doesn't have a clue as to how to properly cite his sources (Post #37 and #49). In addition to that when so much counter evidence gets ignored this lets me know that they are simply cuckoo and not worth responding to.
              An interesting diversion which tells a lot. So you inadvertently admit you reject the testimony of Jesus Christ, the apostle Paul and the consensus of the Christian churches as admitted at the council of Nicea nearly 2000 years ago and has been supported ever since?
              Last edited by apostoli; 06-14-2014, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Critics don't trump what Thayer wrote in his lexicon.

Comment

Thayer's understanding has been proved to be of little relevance
                  So you would prefer definitions in BAGD, even if they were crap. Thayer's was far ahead of its time.

Comment

As you are in error concerning the omnipotence of God so too you are in error concerning His omniscience.

Concerning παντοκράτωρ
                    a. NIDNTT: The term pantokratwr, the Almighty, the Lord of all, occurs both in connexion with OT quotations (2 Cor. 6:18; cf. Hos. 1:10; Isa. 43:6) and independently (Rev. 1:8; 4:8; 11:17; 15:3; 16:7, 14; 19:6, 15; 21:22). In both cases the title serves to describe the immense greatness of God. He has power over all men and all things (3:718, Strength, G. Braumann).
                    b. Danker: Almighty, All-Powerful, Omnipotent (One) (A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature, pantokratwr, page 755).
                    c. TDNT: His omnipotence, in which Christ shares as kurios (1 C. 8:6; Col. 1:16; Mt. 28:18), extends over the whole world, over heaven and earth (1:679, gee, Sasse).
                    d. Louw/Nida: (a title for God, literally 'all powerful') - 'the Almighty, the One who has all power' (Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament: Based on Semantic Domains, 12.7, pantokratwr, page 139).
                    e. Mounce: pantokratwr is a compound of the two Greek words meaning "all" and "power"-thus either "the Almighty" or "the all-powerful One" (Mounce's Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words, Almighty, page 15).
                    f. Thayer: he holds sway over all things; the ruler of all; almighty (Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, pantokratwr, page 476).

So much for the God's omnipotence not being a demonstrable fact.
                    -------------------------------
                    Concerning knowing someone's heart your example doesn't even come close. God knows the TOTALITY of the hearts of ALL people.

Even before there is a word on my tongue, Behold, O LORD, You know it all (Psalm 139:4, NASB).
                    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; It is too high, I cannot attain to it (Psalm 139:6, NASB).

Can you supply the name of any person who is able to attain this knowledge that David couldn't attain (Psalm 139:4, 6)?
                    Are there anytimes when the greek word is used in connection with Yeshu Christos.

Comment

Critics don't trump what Thayer wrote in his lexicon.
                      It is a great pity you have no comprehension concerning Thayer. Historically, despite his personal opinion he is reputed to be a great grammarian of the Greek, to the extent that he is reported as often supporting translations of texts that undermined his own position. Imo, for this alone he should be acclaimed. But still, it is commonly reported, he to the end of his life rejected the orthodox position. As with Philo, Thayer seems to have accepted that the Son was another God, but not God properly so called.

Comment

Originally posted by Omniskeptical View Post
                        So you would prefer definitions in BAGD, even if they were crap. Thayer's was far ahead of its time.
                        Imo, Thayer's renditions are a good starter for a novice. Even in his lifetime discoveries were made that contradicted prior propositions and since that time more manuscript discoveries of everyday life in ancient times have enhanced our understanding of the meaning of words in the ancient languages. I like to emphasize the commonality of teaching of John 1:1 with the general Jewish Aramaic language of the first century AD. Every Jew in the first century (as well as those prior to and after) who attended synagogue would have been familiar with the Aramaic Targums commonly preached to explain the reading of the Hebrew reading of the Torah (which apart from an elite no one understood) concerning the Memra of YHWH (the Word of God=the messenger of God=the angel of the Lord).
                        Last edited by apostoli; 06-15-2014, 02:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Omniskeptical View Post
                          Are there anytimes when the greek word is used in connection with Yeshu Christos.
                          Never specifically but by implication. (Some claim Revelation 1:8 refers to the Lord Jesus but I am not [yet?] convinced).
                          Last edited by foudroyant; 06-15-2014, 05:21 AM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X