Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Annihilationism, Nirvana and Atheism.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    This is, if anything, an argument for annihilationism. Orthodox Christianity does, in fact, hold that Jesus died on the cross as opposed to undergoing eternal torment. The penalty was paid with death.
    There are three basic views. The major view entails eternal suffering of the lost. The soul being seen as eternal in nature. Christ paying in full the death for sin on the cross. My view differs only in the conscious and suffering lost souls are deemed to be dead souls. Eternal suffering of the lost and mortality of the soul. My view.

I am of the opinion the suffering of Christ on the cross, the death of His soul on the cross, completing the payment for sins on the cross stands against annihilationism.
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy View Post
      To me, Annihilation's "big appeal" is that it agrees with what the Bible teaches. The Bible says that the wicked will be destroyed. Does this sound closer to "The wicked will be destroyed" as Annihilationism teaches or is it closer to "the wicked will NOT be destroyed but they will be tortured alive forever in hell" as those who believe in Eternal Conscious Torment (ECT) in Hell wrongly teach?
      No I haven't stopped stopped beating my wife yet, but thanks for asking.

I'm a universalist, so I don't have a dog in this fight either way. If I did I'd say you're taking the word "death" far too literally, though I'm so greatful that you're giving my position an easy argument out of 1 Tim 4:10
      O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

A neat video of dead languages!

Comment

Two more questions that occurred to me. If "their worm dies not," then is God sustaining the worms as long as it takes, as well? Why go through that extra trouble?
        The worm that never dies and the fire that is never quenched are from Is 66:24. They consume the dead bodies of God's enemies.

The obvious assumption would be that the NT reference is not to eternal torture but to the death of God's enemies.

I would assume it's a metaphor, but if you want to assume there are literal worms feasting on dead bodies forever feel free.
        Last edited by hedrick; 11-25-2014, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelp(p) View Post
          No I haven't stopped stopped beating my wife yet, but thanks for asking.

I'm a universalist, so I don't have a dog in this fight either way. If I did I'd say you're taking the word "death" far too literally, though I'm so greatful that you're giving my position an easy argument out of 1 Tim 4:10
          I never asked you if you had stopped beating your wife.

You said that Annihilationism's "Big Appeal" was cosmic euthanasia. It's true that the lost are not tortured forever, but that is not the reason to believe that it is true. Your assumption is incorrect. The reason that Annihilationism is true is that it agrees with what the Bible says.

Your opinion is that I am taking the word "death" too literally. That's interesting. Are you claiming that "death" actually means the exact opposite of death, that the wages of sin is death actually means that the wages of sin is eternal life in hell being tortured or since you are a universalist, what? Death means "not death, but a cosmic object lesson"??? Chapter and Verse Please, and Thank you.

Death is God's way of telling us to slow down? Is that it? I believe death is God's way of telling us "you are not alive anymore".
          Last edited by Timothy; 11-25-2014, 09:27 PM. Reason: added joke at the end. I believe that words have meanings. If you discard the meaning, you discard the meaning of the Bible

Comment

I never asked you if you had stopped beating your wife.
            You charge in here guns a-blazing essentially asking me, "Are you an Annihlationist or are you against the Bible?" That's not how you have a discussion, that's how you monolog at someone. Hence my joke about classic loaded questions like, "Have you stopped beating your wife today?."
            You said that Annihilationism's "Big Appeal" was cosmic euthanasia. It's true that the lost are not tortured forever, but that is not the reason to believe that it is true. Your assumption is incorrect. The reason that Annihilationism is true is that it agrees with what the Bible says.
            For those who care more about inerrantism than the love and goodness of God, I'm sure that the most important thing is that it (allegedly) agrees with the Bible. For those of us who are sick and tired of putting theology over basic decency, there are other priorities.
            Your opinion is that I am taking the word "death" too literally. That's interesting. Are you claiming that "death" actually means the exact opposite of death, that the wages of sin is death actually means that the wages of sin is eternal life in hell being tortured
            What kind of "life" is an eternity of conscious torture? Is somebody on a ventilator with no brain activity "alive?" Technically, but it's not really a life in any meaningful sense. You're acting like an atheist who can't understand how God could possibly bring someone back from the dead because "dead is dead."
            or since you are a universalist, what? Death means "not death, but a cosmic object lesson"??? Chapter and Verse Please, and Thank you.
            Death is separation from God. But since God is everywhere, that's not actually possible. So instead, those who hate Him feel his love as a burning fire which we call Hell. It begins in this life in a lesser form and carries over into the next. But God never quits knocking on the door to our heart even as we reject Him. Since nobody's will is as powerful as God's, eventually all will repent.

But, if you really wanna play the literalism game- 1 Timothy 4:10,
            "That is why we labor and strive, because we have put our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of all people, and especially of those who believe."
            All means all, right?

1 Cor 15:25-27 (emphasis mine)
            For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet. The last enemy to be destroyed is death. For he “has put everything under his feet.” Now when it says that “everything” has been put under him, it is clear that this does not include God himself, who put everything under Christ. When he has done this, then the Son himself will be made subject to him who put everything under him, so that God may be all in all.
            If death is destroyed, then obviously you can't have a bunch of people who have died. That's a contradiction. And again, all means all, everything means everything...

Though the truth is, I don't need chapter and verse. God is love and love never gives up on people, no matter how hard-hearted they are. It's simple logic, even if the Bible says otherwise.
            Last edited by Kelp(p); 11-25-2014, 10:00 PM.
            O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

Comment

You charge in here guns a-blazing essentially asking me, "Are you an Annihlationist or are you against the Bible?" That's not how you have a discussion, that's how you monolog at someone. Hence my joke about classic loaded questions like, "Have you stopped beating your wife today?."
              For those who care more about inerrantism than the love and goodness of God, I'm sure that the most important thing is that it (allegedly) agrees with the Bible. For those of us who are sick and tired of putting theology over basic decency, there are other priorities.
              What kind of "life" is an eternity of conscious torture? Is somebody on a ventilator with no brain activity "alive?" Technically, but it's not really a life in any meaningful sense. You're acting like an atheist who can't understand how God could possibly bring someone back from the dead because "dead is dead."
              Death is separation from God. But since God is everywhere, that's not actually possible. So instead, those who hate Him feel his love as a burning fire which we call Hell. It begins in this life in a lesser form and carries over into the next. But God never quits knocking on the door to our heart even as we reject Him. Since nobody's will is as powerful as God's, eventually all will repent.

But, if you really wanna play the literalism game- 1 Timothy 4:10, All means all, right?

1 Cor 15:25-27 (emphasis mine) If death is destroyed, then obviously you can't have a bunch of people who have died. That's a contradiction. And again, all means all, everything means everything...

Though the truth is, I don't need chapter and verse. God is love and love never gives up on people, no matter how hard-hearted they are. It's simple logic, even if the Bible says otherwise.
              I believe that you've taken me wrong. My bad. I believe that God resurrects the dead and gives them eternal life.

Comment

As do I.

Comment

As do I.
                  I'm glad that we agree (on this at least). I like the doctrine of Christian Universalism, I like everybody I meet who holds that view. I just can't reconcile it with what I am reading. I wish that I could. I hope that everyone will take the warning of death seriously so that they all will have eternal life. I just don't believe that they will.

Comment

If the lost are ultimately annihilated, the saved who receive eternal life will still be saved and will still inherit eternal life, just as Jesus Christ said. It's true that a person who has been annihilated isn't going to know anything at all. That's what happens when a person is destroyed, just as the Bible says. If the lost are ultimately annihilated, the view of the Bible-Believing-Christian who believes that the wages of sin is death will be ultimately true. However, if the lost are eternally tormented alive forever in hell, then the Bible is wrong to claim that the wages of sin is death. If the lost are eternally tormented in hell forever, then the Pagan Greeks got it correct, and Jesus Christ, Paul and all the Apostles and Prophets got it wrong.
                    It is the Bible which teaches that dead souls suffer an eternity in hell. You my friend have got it wrong.

. . . the saved who receive eternal life will still be saved and will still inherit eternal life, just as Jesus Christ said.
                    We agree on this.

Now, if my understanding is wrong, and the the lost do not suffer for eternity as I understand. My misunderstanding will not cause what is not true to be true. It is not going to happen.

By the same, if your understanding of the lost being ultimately annihilated as you profess to understand it is wrong. Then your misunderstanding will not alleviate the eternal suffering of dead souls. Your misunderstanding will not cause what is not true to be true. It is not going to happen.
                    Last edited by 37818; 11-27-2014, 01:12 PM.
                    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

I'm glad that we agree (on this at least). I like the doctrine of Christian Universalism, I like everybody I meet who holds that view. I just can't reconcile it with what I am reading. I wish that I could. I hope that everyone will take the warning of death seriously so that they all will have eternal life. I just don't believe that they will.
                      I understand. This is not a conclusion I came to lightly, believe me.

Comment

I agree with this sentiment too. ". . . The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. . . ." -- 2 Peter 3:9.
                        " . . . For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord GOD: wherefore turn [yourselves], and live ye. " -- Ezekiel 18:32.
                        Last edited by 37818; 11-27-2014, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                          I agree with this sentiment too. ". . . The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. . . ." -- 2 Peter 3:9.
                          " . . . For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord GOD: wherefore turn [yourselves], and live ye. " -- Ezekiel 18:32.
                          It is the Bible which teaches that dead souls suffer an eternity in hell. You my friend have got it wrong.
                          Can you give me the Chapter and Verse where the Bible teaches that dead souls suffer an eternity in hell? Because I can give you the Chapter and Verse that says that the wicked will be no more. If there is a verse that says the opposite of "the wicked will be no more", I really would like to see it. Even the verses you just quoted say that the wicked will perish, that they will die and not live. I don't know why you don't understand this.

Comment

Can you give me the Chapter and Verse where the Bible teaches that dead souls suffer an eternity in hell?
                            I have done so. And you simply choose not to accept them. And with little to no explanation.

Because I can give you the Chapter and Verse that says that the wicked will be no more. If there is a verse that says the opposite of "the wicked will be no more", I really would like to see it.
                            I had answered this too. Can you show me that "the wicked will be no more" refers to being in Hell and not the mere fact they will not inherit the Earth?
                            Even the verses you just quoted say that the wicked will perish, that they will die and not live. I don't know why you don't understand this.
                            I do understand it. You don't. Now that answer is not very helpful, I know. But the fact is we have different understanding of the Biblical terms and what they mean.

Comment

I understand. This is not a conclusion I came to lightly, believe me.
                              Sounds like you've given this a lot of thought. Why are you a universalist? Not asking for a lot of reasons, but what you would consider the best reason(s) for believing your view of universalism.
                              Last edited by Anthropos; 12-03-2014, 01:25 AM.

Comment

My primary verses are the classic universalist texts of 1 Timothy 4:10 which speaks of Christ being the savior of all men and 1 Corinthians 15:25-27 in which God is said to unite all things to Himself. I just don't find the alternate explanations of these verses very convincing.

Beyond that, I just appeal to logic. If some will be eternally in Hell, then either God has completely given up on them and no longer knocks on their heart urging them to repent, which I don't think is possible given His love. Or there are some beings that can outlast or overcome God by their free will.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X