Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

What art thou currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A friend of mine and I are reading The Pastoral Rule by Pope Gregory. I've appreciated when he discusses how mistakes are made, he talks about both extremes like talking too much or not enough. It also has reminded me that I am not called to be a pastor.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

I'm finally reading The Liberated Gospel, A Comparison of the Gospel of Mark and Greek Tragedy, by Gilbert Bilezikian. It's one of the many books I've wanted to read over the years and never gotten around to it. He was an oft-quoted (but seldom read, I suspect) French scholar of several decades ago. I was surprised to find out that he's now relatively well known for more recently being one of the founders of the megachurch movement. The used copy I acquired happened to belong to Gilbert's brother.
      Last edited by robrecht; 01-19-2014, 01:09 PM.
      βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
      ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Craig Keener's Commentary on the Gospel of John
        Some guy on Facebook today was questioning the authenticity of Keener's Christianity because he claimed to have a conversion experience that wasn't purely intellectual and because he's into historical Jesus scholarship.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Other books from my "finished" stack:

The Thirty-Nine Steps, Greenmantle, Mr. Standfast, and The Three Hostages by John Buchan (omnibus edition)
          Textual Criticism of the Old Testament: The Septuagint after Qumran by Ralph W. Klein
          Polycarp and the New Testament by Paul Hartog
          Who Chose the Gospels? Probing the Great Gospel Conspiracy by C. E. Hill
          Polycarp and Paul: An Analysis of Their Literary and Theological Relationship in Light of Polycarp's Use of Biblical and Extra-Biblical Literature by Kenneth Berding
          Worshiping with the Church Fathers by Christopher A. Hall
          The Bible Made Impossible: Why Biblicism Is Not a Truly Evangelical Reading of Scriptured by Christian Smith
          American Gospel: God, the Founding Fathers, and the Making of a Nation by Jon Meacham
          American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House by Jon Meacham
          The Holy Fire: The Story of the Fathers of the Eastern Church by Robert Payne
          Athanasius by Peter J. Leithart
          The Hockey Stick Illusion: Climategate and the Corruption of Science by A. W. Montford
          Misquoting Truth: A Guide to the Fallacies of Bart Ehrman's Misquoting Jesus by Timothy Paul Jones
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

OBP, what did you think of the Christian Smith book? It's been on my radar for awhile.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              OBP, what did you think of the Christian Smith book? It's been on my radar for awhile.
              It was decent. I don't see any underlining in it, so nothing must have stood out in particular. The main thrust of the book was spot-on, as far as I can remember.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Life-Together-.../dp/0060608528

Life Together - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Light reading

Close Range by Anne Proulx
                  The Hidden Life of Dogs by Elizabeth Thomas
                  Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                  Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Re-reading "The Jesus Quest" by Ben Witherington and "The Lays of Beleriand" by Tolkien.

Comment

Now I remember why I missed OBP.

Also now reading two more books:
                      • The Mormon Hierarchy: Origins of Power by D. Michael Quinn
                      • One Body: An Essay in Christian Sexual Ethics by Alexander R. Pruss
                      "The Jesus Christ who saves sinners is the same Christ who beckons his followers to serious use of their minds for serious explorations of the world." - Mark Noll

"It cannot be that the people should grow in grace unless they give themselves to reading." - John Wesley

"Wherever men are still theological, there is still some chance of their being logical." - G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Ahh, one of my favorite threads revived. Let's see...
                        The New Testament and the People of God - N.T. Wright
                        1491 - Charles Mann
                        The Politics of Myth - Robert S. Ellwood
                        King Lear - William Shakespeare. I saw a production of this yesterday and wanted to be acquainted with the contents. Great play and production!
                        German Demystified - Ed Swick

Comment

Originally posted by GioD View Post
                          The New Testament and the People of God - N.T. Wright
                          How's it going so far?
                          "The Jesus Christ who saves sinners is the same Christ who beckons his followers to serious use of their minds for serious explorations of the world." - Mark Noll

"It cannot be that the people should grow in grace unless they give themselves to reading." - John Wesley

"Wherever men are still theological, there is still some chance of their being logical." - G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Missed one - Ethnicity and Argument in Eusebius' Praeparatio Evangelica by Aaron P. Johnson. This one got a comment from a fellow Metro rider. It has some really good material for early Christian apologetics. Highly recommended, though it's not exactly light reading (or priced to sell ).

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JB DoulosChristou View Post
                              How's it going so far?
                              It's very good - I'm almost done and I've found pretty much everything I've read in it to be interesting, well-argued and highly useful for further study and reflection. Nothing less than what I've come to expect from Wright. I especially liked the discussion of methodology and Wright's outline of the Critical-Realist stance.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                Missed one - Ethnicity and Argument in Eusebius' Praeparatio Evangelica by Aaron P. Johnson. This one got a comment from a fellow Metro rider. It has some really good material for early Christian apologetics. Highly recommended, though it's not exactly light reading (or priced to sell ).
                                Sounds good! And who needs to worry about price when my seminary gives me access to an eBook version from anywhere...

Originally posted by GioD View Post
                                It's very good - I'm almost done and I've found pretty much everything I've read in it to be interesting, well-argued and highly useful for further study and reflection. Nothing less than what I've come to expect from Wright. I especially liked the discussion of methodology and Wright's outline of the Critical-Realist stance.
                                I had many of the same thoughts when I read it. It's been a few years, so I was trying to remember the general gist. I'm sure I'll definitely have occasion to refer back to it.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X