Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

What art thou currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The African Memory of Mark: Reassessing Early Church Tradition, by Thomas C. Oden.

Comment

• Passion and Paradise: Human and Divine Emotion in the Thought of Gregory of Nyssa by J. Warren Smith
      Killing Jesus by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard (eh, it was okay - recommended by my aunt & uncle)
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• I'm currently reading this thread.

Oh, and Ten Philosophical Mistakes (on and off) by Mortimer J. Adler.

Psst... One Bad Pig, check your links in your sig.
        Last edited by Deof Movestofca; 01-01-2015, 06:52 AM. Reason: One Bad Pig's link in his sig under the banner is unlunked.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deof Movestofca View Post
          I'm currently reading this thread.

Oh, and Ten Philosophical Mistakes (on and off) by Mortimer J. Adler.

Psst... One Bad Pig, check your links in your sig.
          Thanks.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• On the tail end of my second read-through of Stephen R. Lawhead's King Raven Trilogy.
            I've also been working my careful way through Joseph Campbell's The Hero With a Thousand Faces for the past year and a half.
            “In many ways the evidence of our faith is found in our ability to control our tongue (or our keyboard)."
            -Adam Hamilton, Seeing Gray in a World of Black and White

Comment

• Dreadnought: Britain, Germany, and the Coming of the Great War by Robert K. Massie
              The Changeling Sea by Patricia A. McKillip
              Helix by Eric Brown - just started it after picking it up from the library; after reading the Amazon reviews, I'm prepared for disappointment.
              Winter Song by Colin Harvey - another pickup from the library shelf, I quit after less than 100 pages (too much of the erotic in it for me, and it's a bad adaptation of Icelandic culture).

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                I read that and I thought it was not very good. Have you read any of McKillip's other works? She has some that are very worth reading, but The Changeling Sea is far from her best.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparrow View Post
                  I read that and I thought it was not very good. Have you read any of McKillip's other works? She has some that are very worth reading, but The Changeling Sea is far from her best.
                  It seems to me to be aimed at the YA segment. It's different from what I normally read.

I read The Cygnet and the Firebird a long time ago. That's the only one I recall off-hand (I still have a copy, so I liked it well enough back when I read it).

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Dreadnought: Britain, Germany, and the Coming of the Great War by Robert K. Massie
                    Helix by Eric Brown - just started it after picking it up from the library; after reading the Amazon reviews, I'm prepared for disappointment.
                    Winter Song by Colin Harvey - another pickup from the library shelf, I quit after less than 100 pages (too much of the erotic in it for me, and it's a bad adaptation of Icelandic culture).
                    As I feared, Helix didn't take live up to the promise of the cover.

Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin - this was excellent.
                    Don't Give Up, Don't Give In: Lessons from an Extraordinary Life by Louis Zamperini & David Rensin - Rogue only aspired to be as roguish as he was growing up.
                    the Influence of the Gospel of Saint Matthew on Christian Literature before Saint Irenaeus by Édouard Massaux (trans. Norman Belval and Suzanne Hecht) - somewhat misnamed, as he actually covers all the NT, but his thesis was that St. Matthew's gospel was the most influential book on early Christian writing.
                    The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett
                    Earthblood by Keith Laumer and Rosel George Brown

sigpic

Comment

• Took a break from some heavier stuff.

The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss - this shouldn't work (as the author admits in the foreward), but it does. It's a week-long look inside the world of Auri from the Kingkiller Chronicles. There's little action, and only incidental contact with other bit characters, and there's no denouement.

I was hooked.

I also discovered Bernard Cornwell, and read Sharpe's Triumph, Agincourt, and am working through The Archer's Tale (and have the rest of that trilogy on tap).

sigpic

Comment

• OBP, how did you hear of Rothfuss? I stumbled upon him by sheer happenstance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Manwë Súlimo View Post
                          OBP, how did you hear of Rothfuss? I stumbled upon him by sheer happenstance.
                          Your fault, I think. You were raving about The Name of the Wind IIRC.

sigpic

Comment

• My father-in-law got me Stephen Ambrose's Band of Brothers for Christmas, and I've been reading it on weekends.

I get that drama and emotional content may not have been the writer's point in recording the account from interviewing the members of Easy Company, but I'm still shocked at how bland this book is compared to the HBO miniseries.
                            “In many ways the evidence of our faith is found in our ability to control our tongue (or our keyboard)."
                            -Adam Hamilton, Seeing Gray in a World of Black and White

Comment

• rereading The African Memory of Mark by Thomas Oden

Comment

• Robert Kysar - John, the Maverick Gospel
                                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X