Page 33 of 40 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: What art thou currently reading?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm currently reading the latest post in the "What art thou currently reading"-thread on TWeb.

2. Amen The Melody Maker, The Remonstrant amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    I'm currently reading the latest post in the "What art thou currently reading"-thread on TWeb.

What a coincidence; so am I! I was disappointed though, since there was very little plot to speak of.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

4. Amen The Melody Maker, Chrawnus amen'd this post.
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The Letters of St. Antony: Monasticism and the Making of a Saint by Samuel Rubenson (includes translations of his 7 surviving letters)
    The Night Land by William Hope Hodgson
    The Life and Letters of Theoleptos of Philadelphia by Angela C. Hero
    Common Roots: The Original Call to an Ancient-Future Faith by Robert E. Webber
    How Jesus Changed the World: An Illustrated Guide to the Undeniable Influence of Christ by Christopher D. Hudson
    Evagrius of Pontus: Talking Back (Antirrhetikos) - A Monastic Handbook for Combating Demons trans. David Brakke
    Following God Through Mark: Theological Tension in the Second Gospel by Ira Brent Driggers - contains some good insights, but the author is a little too eager to share a viewpoint no one has ever considered before; that's a red flag. He attempts to exegete Mark in isolation, and sets up a tension between Jesus' message requiring a free will response and God's direct manipulation of the disciples throughout.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    How Jesus Changed the World: An Illustrated Guide to the Undeniable Influence of Christ by Christopher D. Hudson
    This is pretty bad. It is obviously written from an American Reformed Baptist perspective, which makes it difficult at times for the author to extol Christianity throughout the ages. It is way light on references. It gets facts egregiously wrong (i.e., "ultimately, the East banned icons" and "during the Middle Ages, the pope and Roman Empire were closely intertwined"), and posts scripture verses in places rather out of context.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Crime and punishment. Webcomics. Lots o stuff.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Life of Saint George of Choziba and the Miracles of the Holy Mother of God at Choziba: And, the Miracles of the Most Holy Mother of God at Choziba by Anthony of Choziba (trans. Tim Vivian)
    Politico-historical Works of Symeon Archbishop of Thessalonica, 1415/16 to 1429: Critical Greek Text With Introduction and Commentary by David Balfour
    Seventeen Fathoms Deep: The Saga of the Submarine S-4 Disaster by Joseph A. Williams
    Youth of the Apocalypse: And The Last True Rebellion by John Marler
    Theophilus: A Tale of Ancient Rome by Lewis Ben Smith
    Dewey: the Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by Vicki Myron
    Plunder and Deceit: Big Government's Exploitation of Young People and the Future by Mark R. Levin
    The Benedict Option by Rod Dreher (haven't gotten to this yet, but it's next on deck)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Finished Alvin Plantinga's trilogy on Warrant the other day:
    Warrant: The Current Debate
    Warrant and Proper Function
    Warranted Christian Belief

Currently reading:
    Knowledge and Christian Belief by Alvin Plantinga

Currently listening to the audio book of:
    The Irrational Atheist by Vox Day

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    [Preston] Sprinkle's since crossed over to the dark side (annihilationism)
    I thought he had become agnostic concerning the nature of eschatological punishment, but was leaning towards the eventual annihilation of the unrepentant (over against the conventional teaching of perpetual torment). Can you tell me when Sprinkle decided in favour of annihilationism?
    [I]f what you have heard from the beginning remains in you, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father. The one who has the Son has the life; the one who does not have the Son of God does not have the life. (1 Jn 2.24; 5.12, LEB)

<https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Farewell. (Sat., 24 Mar. 2018)

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Two Views on Women in Ministry by Belleville, Blomberg, Keener, and Schreiner. It's part of the Zondervan "Counterpoints" series.

Two egalitarians (Belleville and Keener), two complementarians (Blomberg and Schreiner). Each presents a case, and the other three respond. It's interesting to see where even members of the same "team" disagree with each other.

I recognize that the back-and-forth could easily become endless and that *some* boundary must be imposed. Still, if there is an update that includes new findings of the past twelve years since this version was published, I'd prefer they also include one more "round" wherein each writer gets to briefly respond to the critiques.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The Legacy of the King James Bible: Celebrating 400 Years of the Most Influential English Translation by Leland Ryken - was hoping that someone who served as literary stylist for the ESV would be even-handed in his approach, but this is a straight-up paean to the KJV; instead of comparing it to relatively popular translations like the RSV/NRSV, NIV, NASB, etc., he typically compares it to rather colloquial translations like the NLT/TEB/GNB which never much caught on.
    Notes from the Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky
    The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible by A. J. Jacobs - book club read
    Under Pressure: The Final Voyage of Submarine S-5 by A. J. Hill
    On Living Simply: The Golden Voice of John Chrysostom compiled by Robert Van de Weyer - short extracts from Chrysostom's sermons (parish Lenten reading)
    Theosis: Deification in Christian Theology ed. Stephen Finlan and Vladimir Kharlamov - contains articles from Orthodox, Catholic, and Protestant perspectives
    Prince Henry the Navigator: A Life by Peter Russell
    Starhawk by Jack McDevitt
    Blood and Bone, Return of the Crimson Guard, Stoneweilder, Orb Scepter Throne, and Assail by Ian Esslemont (novels of the Malazan Empire)
    Saving the Appearances: A Study in Idolatry by Owen Barfield - this was not at all what I expected, but a very informative read. Owen Barfield, along with C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien, was a member of the Inklings literary group.
    Lincoln's Lieutenants: The High Command of the Army of the Potomac by
    A Hobbit, a Wardrobe, and a Great War: How J. R. R. Tolkien and C. S. Lewis Rediscovered Faith, Friendship, and Heroism in the Cataclysm of 1914-1918 by Joe Loconte
    Studia Patristica Vols. 41, 43 ed. F. M. Young et al.
    The New Testament: A Translation by David Bentley Hart - his goal in translating was to match the style of English to the style of the underlying Greek, which is not generally done in the intrest of smoothness. He also eschews traditional translations of words in favor of a more literal rendering in an effort to avoid doctrinal bias. It's an interesting read, and recommended.

On Deck:
    The Image of the Virgin Mary in the Akathistos Hymn by Leena Mari Peltomaa
    The Day-To-Day Life of the Desert Fathers in Fourth-Century Egypt by Lucien Regnault
    Proclus of Constantinople and the Cult of the Virgin Mary in Late Antiquity: Homilies 1-5, Texts and Translations by Nicholas Constas
    The Ladder of Divine Ascent by John Climacus (trans. Colm Lubheid)
    The Lenten Triodion trans. Kallistos Ware and Mother Mary