Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

What art thou currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James B. South and Jacob M. Held, eds., James Bond and Philosophy: Questions Are Forever
    My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

• I picked up a couple of books by Michael Brown -- Authentic Fire and Playing with Holy Fire

Not the sort of books I normally go for, at least in the past 25 or 30 years. But the odious "Strange Fire" thing of five years ago came up again recently at another site, and I noticed that Craig Keener seems to consider Brown at least a reasonably credible scholar, so I wanted to get a sample.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• The Screwtape Letters, C.S. Lewis
        Shadow Spell, Nora Roberts
        Blood Magick, Nora Roberts
        The Silmarillion, J.R.R. Tolkien
        I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

• Ronald L. Numbers, ed., Galileo Goes to Jail and Other Myths About Science and Religion

Comment

• Zionist Israel and the Question of Palestine: Jewish Statehood and the History of the Middle East Conflict

Comment

• Just finished:
              Gary L. Hardcastle and George A. Reisch,, eds., Monty Python and Philosophy: Nudge Nudge, Think Think!

Just started:
              Jason T. Eberl and Kevin S. Decker, eds., Star Trek and Philosophy: The Wrath of Kant

Comment

• St. John Chrysostom On Marriage and Family Life trans. Catherine P. Roth and David Anderson
                Quantum Physics and Theology: An Unexpected Kinship by John Polkinghorne
                Inspiration and Authority: Nature and Function of Christian Scripture by Paul J. Achtemeier
                Orthodox Christianity Vol. 2: Doctrine and Teaching of the Orthodox Church by Metropolitan Hilarion Alfeyev
                The Great Siege, Malta 1565 by Ernie Bradford
                Piers the Plowman: A Critical Edition of the A-Version by Professor William Langland and Professor Thomas A. Knott
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Currently reading:
                  Star Wars and Philosophy: More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine by Kevin S. Decker, and Jason T. Eberl, eds.

Comment

• Conflict at Rome: Social Order and Hierarchy in Early Christianity
                    Author: James S. Jeffers

Comment

• Thanks, I suppose, to electronic-device-induced short attention span, I'm bouncing among several different books:

I'm re-reading Gospel and Spirit: Issues in New Testament Hermeneutics and Listening to the Spirit in the Text, both by Gordon Fee. Both are collections of his essays. This time around, I was most struck by one that appears in both books: "Laos and Leadership Under the New Covenant: Some Exegetical and Hermeneutical Observations on Church Order." I wish I could find that essay in standalone form online.

I'm also re-reading the chapters Fee contributed to Discovering Biblical Equality.

Trying to read Baptized in the Spirit by Randy Clark, mainly because Craig Keener's glowing foreword made me curious about it. Some good material in it, but his choice of terminology is frustrating, and there is not much in the way of exegesis.

Also reading Authentic Fire and Playing with Holy Fire by Mike Brown, again motivated by Keener's endorsements, and by hearing a couple of Brown's interviews of Keener online.
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Man the Target of God by Archimandrite Zacharias
                        Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
                        Don't Give Up, Don't Give In: Lessons from an Extraordinary Life by Louis Zamperini
                        Lincoln's Last Trial by Dan Abrams
                        Orthodox Christianity, Vol. 1: The History and Canonical Structure of the Orthodox Church by Metropolitan Hilarion Alfeyev

On deck, once they get to the library:
                        Under Pressure: The Final Voyage of Submarine S-5 by A. J. Hill
                        T. F. Torrance and Eastern Orthodoxy: Theology in Reconciliation by Matthew Baker
                        Bearing God: The Life and Works of St. Ignatius the God-bearer by Andrew Stephen Damick
                        Destiny and Power: The American Odyssey of George Herbert Walker Bush by Jon Meacham
                        Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark Sullivan
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• I have a lot of books. What I am currently reading?

A.W. Tozer: The Pursuit of God and Crucified
                          Debra K. Farrington: Living Faith Day By Day
                          Thomas Moore: Care of the Soul
                          Kevin Griffin: Recoverying Joy
                          Tart: Living the Mindful Life
                          Joan Joan Halifax: Standing at the Edge - Finding Freedom where fear and courage meet
                          For a Christ-Centric Recovery and Mindful Christian Living - Damascus Way Recovery

For Latter-day Saint Christian, Political, and Social Commentary and Apologetics - Mormon Apologia

Comment

• St. Athanasius Contra Apollinarem by George Dragas (also, Contra Apollinarius 1 & 2 by St. Athanasius)
                            The Canon of the Bible and the Apocrypha in the Churches of the East ed. Vahan S. Hovhanessian
                            The Foreigner series by C. J. Cherryh

On deck:
                            Against Those Who Are Unwilling to Confess that the Holy Virgin is Theotokos by St. Cyril of Alexandria
                            Festschrift in honor of Professor Paul Nadim Tarizi, Vols. 1 & 2 ed. Nicolae Roddy
                            Last edited by One Bad Pig; 02-17-2019, 05:01 PM.

sigpic

Comment

• James G.D. Dunne, The Theology of Paul the Apostle.

Comment

• Watchmen and Philosophy: A Rorschach Test by Mark D. White, ed.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X