Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

What art thou currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Books 7-15 of the Foreigner series by C. J. Cherryh
    The Earth is Room Enough by Isaac Asimov
    Lord of the Silent Kingdom and Surrender to the Will of the Night by Glen Cook
    The Discovery of Middle Earth: Mapping the Lost World of the Celts by Graham Robb - interesting, but it's a journalist writing history, and he makes gaffes like asserting that Claudius expelled the Christians from Rome and that the idea of the resurrection of Christ comes from the Celtic belief in reincarnation.
    Days of Fire: Bush and Cheney in the White House by Peter Baker
    The Lost Books of the Odyssey: A Novel by Zachary Mason - clever, I suppose, but he never puts much effort into taking each twist on the original very far; it's really just a bunch of short stories, some of which don't fit the socio-historical context well at all.
    Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus

Still working on:
    The Typicon Decoded by Archimandrite Job Getcha
    St. Silouan the Athonite by Archimandrite Sophrony
    Scripture in the Jewish and Christian traditions: Authority, interpretation, relevance, ed. Frederick Greenspahn (I'm not finding this to be very helpful)
    Craig Keener's Commentary on the Gospel of John
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

"those terrible middle ages! debunking the myths" by Regine Pernoud, translated by Anne Englund Nash

Comment

Inerrant Wisdom by Paul Seely
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Strange Fire by John MacArthur.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

German Quickly: A Grammar for Reading German - April Wilson

Comment

Ancient Israel in Sinai by James Hoffmeier

Comment

Haven't read as many books this summer as I've wanted to so far. Ah well.

-For school next year I have to read selections from The Art of the Personnal Essay by Phillip Lopate
                -I started J.A. McGuckin's The Orthodox Church: An Introduction to its History, Doctrine, and Spiritual Culture but took a break for vacation. I'm on the paet about Salvation right now.
                -On vacation I'm reading the Collected Works of Flannery O'Conner, in the Library of America collection.
                -I'm trying to get through some german children's books but haven't made it far. The language is easy but it's a good bit of work for little interesting content.

Comment

Hebrew Bible/Old Testament - The History of Its Interpretation Volume I: From the Beginnings to the Middle Ages (Until 1300) Part 1: Antiquity ed. Magne Sćbř
                  The Secret History by Donna Tartt
                  Revolutionary Russia, 1891-1991: A History by Orlando Figes
                  Gai-Jin by James Clavell
                  The Ecclesiastical History of Evagrius Scholasticus translated by Michael Whitby
                  The Orthodox Church in America and other writings by St. Alexis Toth
                  Introducing Eastern Orthodox Theology by Andrew Louth
                  Gregory of Nyssa, Homilies on Ecclesiastes ed. Stuart G. Hall
                  Last edited by One Bad Pig; 07-16-2014, 08:31 AM.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

-Spring Snow by Yukio Mishima
                    -Humanae Vitae: A Challenge to Love by Pope Paul VI. Translated with an introductory essay by Janet E. Smith.
                    -Catechism of the Catholic Church - I've barely cracked this. This is probably the most stalling I've done on my independent reading in a long time. But I really feel like I should read the CCC all the way through at this point in my spiritual and intellectual journey.

Comment

• Sethra Lavode by Steven Brust
                      Commentary on Isaiah by Eusebius of Caesaria
                      Andrew of Caesarea and the Apocalypse in the Ancient Church of the East: Studies and Translation by Eugenia S. Constantinou
                      The Doctrine of the Russian Church: being the primer or spelling book, the shorter & longer catechisms, & a treatise on the duty of parish priests, translated from the Slavone-Russian Originals by Rev. R. W. Blackmore (1845)

sigpic

Comment

• Seminary stuff. One of these books is not like the others.

The New Testament World by Bruce Malina
                        The Greatest Prayer: A Revolutionary Manifesto and Hymn of Hope by John Dominic Crossan
                        To Love As God Loves by Roberta Bondi
                        Who Will Go For Us: An Invitation to Ordained Ministry by Dennis Campbell
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• I'm a bad influence on you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Manwë Súlimo View Post
                            I'm a bad influence on you.
                            That one is not the outlier.

Comment

• A bunch of stuff I found free online:

Preaching as the Audience Heard it: Unedited Transcripts of Patristic Homilies by Nikolai LIPATOV-CHICHERIN
                              The Sapphire Light of the Mind: The Skemmata of Evagrius Ponticus by William Harmless and Raymond Fitzgerald
                              The Original Recipients of the Book of Hebrews by Darren Slade
                              Interpretation and Misinterpretation of the Patristic Tradition During the History of the Church From the 4th to the 14th Century by Christos Arabatzis (Trans. Fr. George Dragas)
                              Divine Sovereignty, Divine Providence, and Prayer in the Thought of Evagrius Ponticus by Chris Steven Gombos (dissertation)
                              The Socio-Economic Impact of the Pax Romana and Augustus' Policy Reforms on the Roman Provinces by Michael James Coombes (mini-dissertation)
                              A Critical Assessment of St Cyril of Alexandria's "On the Unity of Christ," and its Significance for Patristic and Modern Theology
                              On the Texture of an Invisible God: Biblical Exegesis and Imageless Prayer in Evagrius Ponticus by Benjamin Ekman (M.Ph. Thesis)

.... and some lighter reading:
                              Fire Base Illingworth : an epic true story of remarkable courage against staggering odds by Phillip Keith
                              A Darkling Sea by James Cambias
                              A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge

sigpic

Comment

• The Origins of the Cult of the Virgin Mary, ed. Chris Maunder
                                The Christian Vision of Humanity: Basic Christian Anthropology by John R. Sachs
                                Saint Nikolai Kasatkin and the Orthodox Mission in Japan, ed. Michael Van Remortel and Dr. Peter Chang

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X