Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

What art thou currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    I've read both volumes of this work, and I was rather underwhelmed. It's written very much on a popular level, with few supporting footnotes or references.
    Both volumes were used in my History of Christianity classes. I have a feeling Gonzalez's targeted audience are Bible College students or Christians wanting a layman's perspective of Theology.
    I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

• I'm presently reading Mastering the Art of Soviet Cooking: A Memoir of Food and Longing by Anya Von Bremzen.
      No, it is not a theology book yet it is a glimpse into the Soviet mind and the attitude towards things such as religion, Christianity, interdependence, collectivization, and surrender.

I am originally from Russia and, though I was born the year the USSR collapsed, I have found greater clarity in understanding my fellow countrymen from first, the perspective living in America has allowed and, second, through memoirs, letters, and stories told by those who lived during that time.

It's valuable, I think, to understand the worldview of those with whom you're speaking in order to know the general sentiment toward Christianity

What is a book that has brought someone great understanding of another?

Comment

• Originally posted by lepidopter View Post
        What is a book that has brought someone great understanding of another?
        The Lightless Sky: A Twelve-Year-Old Refugee's Harrowing Escape from Afghanistan and His Extraordinary Journey Across Half the World by Gulwali Passarlay (Afghan refugees)
        The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (contemporary Afghanistan)
        ZVI: The Miraculous Story of Triumph Over the Holocaust by Elwood McQuaid (the holocaust)
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Been busy with a lot else, so I haven't been getting much reading done, but here's what I'm working on at present:

Stories with Intent: A Comprehensive Guide to the Parables of Jesus by Klyne Snodgrass
          Holy Men of Mount Athos - currently reading the second Life of St. Maximos the Hutburner
          Finite and Infinite Goods: A Framework for Ethics by Robert Merrihew Adams
          The Diary of George Templeton Strong, vol. 3: The Civil War, 1860-1865
          Jacob Albright and His Co-Laborers by Reuben Yeakel
          Muslim Perceptions of Other Religions: A Historical Survey, edited by Jacques Waardenburg
          Gorbachev: His Life and Times by William Taubman
          "The Jesus Christ who saves sinners is the same Christ who beckons his followers to serious use of their minds for serious explorations of the world." - Mark Noll

"It cannot be that the people should grow in grace unless they give themselves to reading." - John Wesley

"Wherever men are still theological, there is still some chance of their being logical." - G. K. Chesterton

Comment

• Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania, Erik Larson
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• I'm currently reading the latest post in the "What art thou currently reading"-thread on TWeb.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                I'm currently reading the latest post in the "What art thou currently reading"-thread on TWeb.

What a coincidence; so am I! I was disappointed though, since there was very little plot to speak of.
                Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

• The Letters of St. Antony: Monasticism and the Making of a Saint by Samuel Rubenson (includes translations of his 7 surviving letters)
                  The Night Land by William Hope Hodgson
                  The Life and Letters of Theoleptos of Philadelphia by Angela C. Hero
                  Common Roots: The Original Call to an Ancient-Future Faith by Robert E. Webber
                  How Jesus Changed the World: An Illustrated Guide to the Undeniable Influence of Christ by Christopher D. Hudson
                  Evagrius of Pontus: Talking Back (Antirrhetikos) - A Monastic Handbook for Combating Demons trans. David Brakke
                  Following God Through Mark: Theological Tension in the Second Gospel by Ira Brent Driggers - contains some good insights, but the author is a little too eager to share a viewpoint no one has ever considered before; that's a red flag. He attempts to exegete Mark in isolation, and sets up a tension between Jesus' message requiring a free will response and God's direct manipulation of the disciples throughout.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    How Jesus Changed the World: An Illustrated Guide to the Undeniable Influence of Christ by Christopher D. Hudson
                    This is pretty bad. It is obviously written from an American Reformed Baptist perspective, which makes it difficult at times for the author to extol Christianity throughout the ages. It is way light on references. It gets facts egregiously wrong (i.e., "ultimately, the East banned icons" and "during the Middle Ages, the pope and Roman Empire were closely intertwined"), and posts scripture verses in places rather out of context.

sigpic

Comment

• Crime and punishment. Webcomics. Lots o stuff.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Life of Saint George of Choziba and the Miracles of the Holy Mother of God at Choziba: And, the Miracles of the Most Holy Mother of God at Choziba by Anthony of Choziba (trans. Tim Vivian)
                        Politico-historical Works of Symeon Archbishop of Thessalonica, 1415/16 to 1429: Critical Greek Text With Introduction and Commentary by David Balfour
                        Seventeen Fathoms Deep: The Saga of the Submarine S-4 Disaster by Joseph A. Williams
                        Youth of the Apocalypse: And The Last True Rebellion by John Marler
                        Theophilus: A Tale of Ancient Rome by Lewis Ben Smith
                        Dewey: the Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by Vicki Myron
                        Plunder and Deceit: Big Government's Exploitation of Young People and the Future by Mark R. Levin
                        The Benedict Option by Rod Dreher (haven't gotten to this yet, but it's next on deck)

sigpic

Comment

• Finished Alvin Plantinga's trilogy on Warrant the other day:
                          Warrant: The Current Debate
                          Warrant and Proper Function
                          Warranted Christian Belief

Currently reading:
                          Knowledge and Christian Belief by Alvin Plantinga

Currently listening to the audio book of:
                          The Irrational Atheist by Vox Day
                          My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            [Preston] Sprinkle's since crossed over to the dark side (annihilationism)
                            I thought he had become agnostic concerning the nature of eschatological punishment, but was leaning towards the eventual annihilation of the unrepentant (over against the conventional teaching of perpetual torment). Can you tell me when Sprinkle decided in favour of annihilationism?
                            For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

• Two Views on Women in Ministry by Belleville, Blomberg, Keener, and Schreiner. It's part of the Zondervan "Counterpoints" series.

Two egalitarians (Belleville and Keener), two complementarians (Blomberg and Schreiner). Each presents a case, and the other three respond. It's interesting to see where even members of the same "team" disagree with each other.

I recognize that the back-and-forth could easily become endless and that *some* boundary must be imposed. Still, if there is an update that includes new findings of the past twelve years since this version was published, I'd prefer they also include one more "round" wherein each writer gets to briefly respond to the critiques.
                              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• The Legacy of the King James Bible: Celebrating 400 Years of the Most Influential English Translation by Leland Ryken - was hoping that someone who served as literary stylist for the ESV would be even-handed in his approach, but this is a straight-up paean to the KJV; instead of comparing it to relatively popular translations like the RSV/NRSV, NIV, NASB, etc., he typically compares it to rather colloquial translations like the NLT/TEB/GNB which never much caught on.
                                Notes from the Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky
                                The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible by A. J. Jacobs - book club read
                                Under Pressure: The Final Voyage of Submarine S-5 by A. J. Hill
                                On Living Simply: The Golden Voice of John Chrysostom compiled by Robert Van de Weyer - short extracts from Chrysostom's sermons (parish Lenten reading)
                                Theosis: Deification in Christian Theology ed. Stephen Finlan and Vladimir Kharlamov - contains articles from Orthodox, Catholic, and Protestant perspectives
                                Prince Henry the Navigator: A Life by Peter Russell
                                Starhawk by Jack McDevitt
                                Blood and Bone, Return of the Crimson Guard, Stoneweilder, Orb Scepter Throne, and Assail by Ian Esslemont (novels of the Malazan Empire)
                                Saving the Appearances: A Study in Idolatry by Owen Barfield - this was not at all what I expected, but a very informative read. Owen Barfield, along with C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien, was a member of the Inklings literary group.
                                Lincoln's Lieutenants: The High Command of the Army of the Potomac by
                                A Hobbit, a Wardrobe, and a Great War: How J. R. R. Tolkien and C. S. Lewis Rediscovered Faith, Friendship, and Heroism in the Cataclysm of 1914-1918 by Joe Loconte
                                Studia Patristica Vols. 41, 43 ed. F. M. Young et al.
                                The New Testament: A Translation by David Bentley Hart - his goal in translating was to match the style of English to the style of the underlying Greek, which is not generally done in the intrest of smoothness. He also eschews traditional translations of words in favor of a more literal rendering in an effort to avoid doctrinal bias. It's an interesting read, and recommended.

On Deck:
                                The Image of the Virgin Mary in the Akathistos Hymn by Leena Mari Peltomaa
                                The Day-To-Day Life of the Desert Fathers in Fourth-Century Egypt by Lucien Regnault
                                Proclus of Constantinople and the Cult of the Virgin Mary in Late Antiquity: Homilies 1-5, Texts and Translations by Nicholas Constas
                                The Ladder of Divine Ascent by John Climacus (trans. Colm Lubheid)
                                The Lenten Triodion trans. Kallistos Ware and Mother Mary

sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X