Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

What art thou currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tolkien, The Silmarillion
    Ditto, The Two Towers
    Ditto, Sigurd and Gudrun
    Ditto, The Children of Hurin
    James Barr, Escaping Fundamentalism
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
    Iliad, book 10
    Odyssey book 3
    Plato, Philebus

Comment

• Clement and the Early Church of Rome: On the Dating of Clement's First Epistle to the Corinthians by Rev. Thomas J. Herron.

Comment

• The Reception of the New Testament in the Apostolic Fathers and Trajectories Through the New Testament and the Apostolic Fathers ed. Andrew Gregory and Christopher Tuckett
        Rogues, an anthology assembled by George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois
        Becoming Human: Meditations on Christian Anthropology in Word and Image by John Behr - an excellent meditation on the Incarnation of Christ.
        Orthodox Spiritual Life According to Saint Silouan the Athonite by Harry Boosalis - 'twill be my parish's Lenten discussion book.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Walking with God through pain and suffering-Timothy Keller

Comment

• Finnegans Wake. The greatest comic tale ever.

Comment

• Ad Monachos by Evagrius Pontus (trans. Jeremy Driscoll)
              The Case Against Q by Mark Goodacre
              Three Treatises on the Divine Images by St. John of Damascus (trans. Andrew Louth)
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stephenson. It grows on one, though Finnegans Wake is more accessible.

Last edited by Rushing Jaws; 03-07-2015, 03:15 PM.

Comment

• (Pseudo-)Dyonysius the Areopagite, the Complete Works Trans. Colm Lubheid
                  The Founding of Christendom by Warren H. Carroll - the first volume of his A History of Christendom, it spans from Genesis to the eve of the Council of Nicaea. It is vigorously pro-Catholic, but a good read.
                  Prayer of the Publican: Justification in the Desert Fathers by Joseph Lucas
                  The Good Shepherd: A Thousand-Year Journey from Psalm 23 to the New Testament by Kenneth E. Bailey
                  Christianity and Roman Society by Gillian Clark

On deck:
                  The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church by Vladimir Lossky
                  AD 381: Heretics, Pagans, and the Christian State by Charles Freeman
                  Eusebius and Constantine by Timothy D. Barnes

sigpic

Comment

• Slaves, Women & Homosexuals: Exploring the Hermeneutics of Cultural Analysis by William J. Webb.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Ecclesiastical History of the English Church - the Venerable Bede
                      Pagans and Christians by Robin Lane Fox
                      The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church by Vladimir Lossky
                      Going through Bernard Cornwell's Richard Sharpe series

Haven't gotten to Freeman's book yet.

sigpic

Comment

• Rhetoric and Galatians by Philip Kern

Talk is Cheap: Sarcasm, Alienation, and the Evolution of Language by John Haiman

Comment

• Deep philosophic material:

Claymore26.jpgArpeggio04.jpgOhMyGoddess47.jpgYamada-kun01.jpg
                          Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

• Comment

• 0000000000emsb.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]6949[/ATTACH]
                                And next on the reading list...

0000000000msb.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X