Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36444546

Thread: What art thou currently reading?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm re-reading Dune, since it's been about 15 years since I read it. I think I'm going to try the whole six-book series, too.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Little Russian Philokalia: St. Theodore of Sanaxar (Volume V)
    Golden Mouth: The Story of John Chrysostom - Ascetic, Preacher, Bishop by J.N.D. Kelly
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. Ė St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    I'm re-reading Dune, since it's been about 15 years since I read it. I think I'm going to try the whole six-book series, too.
    The last couple were written by his son from the outline his father developed for a whole bunch of new books -- and it shows.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    The last couple were written by his son from the outline his father developed for a whole bunch of new books -- and it shows.
    Yeah, I read a couple which his son wrote. They're strongly flavored of fanfic.

Then again, the last couple Frank wrote were off-puttingly bizarre themselves.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. Ė St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Yeah, I read a couple which his son wrote. They're strongly flavored of fanfic.

Then again, the last couple Frank wrote were off-puttingly bizarre themselves.
    To me it was pretty obvious that what was intended to be three maybe four books would get shoehorned into a single book. That said they were still a good read.

As for what Frank wrote himself I didn't notice any real change.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I knew that his son and Kevin J Anderson wrote a bunch between them, but it was my understanding that Frank wrote the 6-book main series. I've heard the quality is a little uneven on those, but that's what I'd expect given just how good the first one is.

Nothing against the son or Anderson, but I have no plans to read their Dune novels any time soon.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The Jewish Targums and Johnís Logos Theology by John Ronning
    Quotiescumque: Greek Origin of a Latin Confessorís Guide by Frans van de Paverd
    Little Russian Philokalia Vol. IV: St. Paisius Velichkovsky