Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

What art thou currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    You are reading all of them at the same time?
    Back when my vision was still excellent and I could read a 250-300 page book in a day (now after half a dozen pages I get sleepy), I would be reading three books at a time. Not simultaneously of course but more like 100 pages out of one, then a similar amount out of the other two.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Back when my vision was still excellent and I could read a 250-300 page book in a day (now after half a dozen pages I get sleepy), I would be reading three books at a time. Not simultaneously of course but more like 100 pages out of one, then a similar amount out of the other two.
      Back when I had two eyes I would read two books at once, one with each eye.

Comment

Back when I had two eyes I would read two books at once, one with each eye.
        I thought you were born wearing an eye patch

0000000000000a7a.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You are reading all of them at the same time?
          Sort of. I've finished a couple already. One of them I started a while back, but plan to finish on vacation next week. Another one I've started is on pause until I finish one I got via ILL and don't have for very long. The history of Russia is my current bathroom book, so I expect that will take a while to get through. I won't take the library books with me on vacation, because knowing my luck I'd leave one behind.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Sort of. I've finished a couple already. One of them I started a while back, but plan to finish on vacation next week. Another one I've started is on pause until I finish one I got via ILL and don't have for very long. The history of Russia is my current bathroom book, so I expect that will take a while to get through. I won't take the library books with me on vacation, because knowing my luck I'd leave one behind.
            Didn't you mention that you have a subway commute? The reading time that would allow is something to be envious of.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              Didn't you mention that you have a subway commute? The reading time that would allow is something to be envious of.
              Yep. Bus + Metro (about an hour and a quarter each way).
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                Yep. Bus + Metro (about an hour and a quarter each way).
                I listen to audiobooks during my commute and on trips.

Comment

• rereading the Hobbit.
                  Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                  1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                  -Ben Witherington III

Comment

• Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                    rereading the Hobbit.
                    My favorite book! And quite apropos seeing as you live in the Shire!
                    I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

• Jesus, Interrupted by Bart Ehrman...
                      I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

• Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
                        Jesus, Interrupted by Bart Ehrman...
                        Reminds me when I was in seminary and first saw J.D. Crossan's name on the assigned reading list.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Currently reading:

Letters and Homilies for Hellenized Christians: A Socio-Rhetorical Commentary on 1-2 Peter by Ben Witherington III
                          1 & 2 Peter by Douglas Harink
                          Collected Works of Erasmus, vol. 44: Paraphrases on the Epistles to Timothy, Titus, and Philemon; the Epistles of Peter and Jude; the Epistle of James; the Epistles of John; the Epistle to the Hebrews by Erasmus of Rotterdam
                          Luther's Works, vol. 30: The Catholic Epistles by Martin Luther
                          Everyday Church: Gospel Communities on Mission by Tim Chester and Steve Timmis
                          Protestantism After 500 Years, edited by Thomas Albert Howard and Mark A. Noll
                          The Last Adam: A Theology of the Obedient Life of Jesus in the Gospels by Brandon D. Crowe
                          Seeking Refuge: On the Shores of the Global Refugee Crisis by Stephen Bauman, Matthew Soerens, and Issam Smeir
                          The History of Al-Tabari, vol. 3: The Children of Israel by Abu Ja'far Muhammad ibn Jarir al-Tabari
                          Islam: An American Religion by Nadia Marsouki
                          "Eat the Heart of the Infidel": The Harrowing of Nigeria and the Rise of Boko Haram by Andrew Walker
                          The Diary of George Templeton Strong, vol. 2: The Turbulent Fifties, 1850-1859 by George Templeton Strong
                          "The Jesus Christ who saves sinners is the same Christ who beckons his followers to serious use of their minds for serious explorations of the world." - Mark Noll

"It cannot be that the people should grow in grace unless they give themselves to reading." - John Wesley

"Wherever men are still theological, there is still some chance of their being logical." - G. K. Chesterton

Comment

• Ishtar's Descent and Resurrection

Nergal and Ereshkigal

The Gilgamesh Epic and Old Testament Parallels

Last and First Men

Out of the Silent Planet

Book 2 of the Aeneid

Book 6 of the Aeneid

One God or Many ?

The Silmarillion

The Two Towers
                            Last edited by Rushing Jaws; 09-09-2017, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• Recently read:
                              Come Let Us Reason by William Lane Craig and Paul Copan, eds.
                              To Everyone An Answer by Francis J. Beckwith, William Lane Craig, and J. P. Moreland, eds.
                              Passionate Conviction by William Lane Craig and Paul Copan, eds.

And I tried out Audible and recently listened to:
                              Reasonable Faith by William Lane Craig
                              On Guard by William Lane Craig
                              The End of Reason by Ravi Zacharias

Currently reading:
                              On Guard by William Lane Craig
                              My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

• Finished all the books in my prior post except the top two Petrine commentaries (got through 1 Peter in each) and the book by Marzouki. At the moment, I'm on:
                                • God and Mammon: Protestants, Money, and the Market, 1790-1860, edited by Mark Noll
                                • The Path of Muhammad: A Book on Islamic Morals and Ethics by Imam Birgivi
                                • The Old Testament is Dying: A Diagnosis and Recommended Treatment by Brent Strawn
                                • Evangelical from the Beginning: The Story of the Evangelical Congregational Church by Terry Heisey, et al.
                                • Engaging the Doctrine of Revelation: The Mediation of the Gospel Through Church and Scripture by Matthew Levering
                                • Developing and Maintaining Practical Archives: A How-To-Do-It Manual, 2nd ed., by Gregory S. Hunter
                                "The Jesus Christ who saves sinners is the same Christ who beckons his followers to serious use of their minds for serious explorations of the world." - Mark Noll

"It cannot be that the people should grow in grace unless they give themselves to reading." - John Wesley

"Wherever men are still theological, there is still some chance of their being logical." - G. K. Chesterton

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X