Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

What art thou currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

The Year of Living Like Jesus: My Journey of Discovering What Jesus Would Really Do by Ed Dobson - Shockingly, the title is less than accurate.
      Be Ready: An Approach to the Mystery of Death by Hieromonk Gregorios
      The Typicon Decoded by Archimandrite Job Getcha
      The Life of Moses by St. Gregory of Nyssa
      The Lord's Prayer, The Beatitudes by St. Gregory of Nyssa

Still working on:
      Church History by Philostorgius
      Christians at Rome in the First Two Centuries: From Paul to Valentinus by Peter Lampe
      St. Silouan the Athonite by Archimandrite Sophrony
      Scripture in the Jewish and Christian traditions: Authority, interpretation, relevance, ed. Frederick Greenspahn (I'm not finding this to be very helpful)
      Craig Keener's Commentary on the Gospel of John
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Finally finished Either/Or last week. Now on to Nassim Nicholas Taleb's Antifragile. It's really good so far.

Comment

I am reading
          A First Course in General Relativity by Bernard Schutz ( i just noticed there is no L in the last name)
          Archaic Roman Religion by Georges Dumezil
          Paul's Rhetoric in its Contexts by Thomas Tobin

Comment

The Geography of Hell in the Teaching of Jesus by Kim Papaioannou
            American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America by Colin Woodard
            Just found Augustine's Confessions for free for the Kindle so I should have that on my device shortly.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I'm reading this fascinating article on the Phineas Gage story. (Hey, JB didn't specify that entries in this thread had to be books.)
              Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Orthodox Theology: An Introduction by Vladimir Lossky was fantastic. Really dense stuff.

The Diary of a Russian Priest
                by Alexander Elchaninov is fascinating. It reminds me of Pascal's Pensées in the way his thought is so condensed down to these crystalline, distilled observations. I don't agree with everything he says, but he is quite thought-provoking.

Comment

What art thou currently reading?
                  Verily, a New Hope.

Last edited by Soyeong; 05-26-2014, 11:39 PM.
                  "Faith is nothing less than the will to keep one's mind fixed precisely on what reason has discovered to it." - Edward Feser

Comment

May reading (most finished):

Against the Gods: The Polemical Theology of the Old Testament - John D. Currid
                    Libertarianism in One Lesson (9th Edition) - David Bergland
                    German Quickly: A Grammar for Reading German - April Wilson
                    Fear and Trembling - Søren Kierkegaard
                    Black God: A Novella - Ben Spivey
                    Egypt, Greece and Rome: Civilizations of the Ancient Mediterranean - Charles Freeman

Articles of note:

"Doing Philosophy in Style: A New Look at the Analytic⁄Continental Divide" - Nick Trakakis - part of Philosophy Compass' free issue on the meta-philosophy of religion
                    "The Calibrated Cosmos" - Tim Maudlin

Comment

I've seen it cited so often that I finally broke down and am going to read it:

Slaves, Women, and Homosexuals by William Webb
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I've recently been devouring books left and right, though that seems to be slowing again. In the last month or so, this is what I've read:

John Scalzi - The Ghost Brigades, The Last Colony, Zoe's Tale and some of The Human Division.
                        Richard Kadrey - Sandman Slim, Kill the Dead
                        Neil Gaiman - American Gods, The Ocean at the End of the Lane
                        Damien Broderick - Godplayers
                        James Gunn - Transcendental
                        Tanya Huff - The Silvered

I'm currently reading Brandon Sanderson's "The Way of Kings". It's probably one of the biggest books I've ever read. (Amazon says the hardback, what I have, is 1008 6"x9" pages.)
                        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                          I'm currently reading Brandon Sanderson's "The Way of Kings". It's probably one of the biggest books I've ever read. (Amazon says the hardback, what I have, is 1008 6"x9" pages.)
                          I have that on my Kindle but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by GioD View Post
                            May reading (most finished):

German Quickly: A Grammar for Reading German - April Wilson
                            Ah. This might be something to try. I mainly want to learn to read German, for now.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                              Ah. This might be something to try. I mainly want to learn to read German, for now.
                              I think this book would be a good place to start then. I do advise you supplement it with some sort of regular reading or writing in German, either from a reader or textbook or newspapers. You may find Anki helpful for practicing vocab.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                                I have that on my Kindle but haven't gotten around to it yet.
                                I finished it yesterday. It's a pretty good book, though parts of it aren't particularly noteworthy. The last two hundred pages or so put it well into the 'recommended' category. Now to wait for the sequel...
                                I'm not here anymore.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X