Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

What art thou currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD 381: Heretics, Pagans, and the Christian State by Charles Freeman
    Athanasius and Constantius by Timothy D. Barnes
    Holy City, Holy Places?: Christian Attitudes to Jerusalem and the Holy Land in the Fourth Century by P. W. L. Walker (actually, a pre-publication copy of the dissertation, since it was much cheaper).
    Trajectories through the New Testament and the Apostolic Fathers ed. Andrew Gregory and Christopher Tuckett
    Paul and the Faithfulness of God by N. T. Wright
    Back to the Future: A Study in the Book of Revelation by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Getting near the end of the Richard Sharpe series. Still working on Ecclesiastical History of the English ChurchPeople - the Venerable Bede.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Japanese Christians
      The Peter Principle
      Over my Dead Body, Rex Stout
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
        Finnegans Wake. The greatest comic tale ever.
        I have been reading it and rereading it for years in small doses.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• John Chrysostom and the Jews: Rhetoric and Reality in the Late 4th Century by Robert Louis Wilken
          Gospel Fragments (The 'Unknown Gospel' on Papyrus Egerton 2, Papyrus Oxyrhynchus 840, and other Gospel Fragments) by Tobias Nicklas, Michael Kruger, and Thomas Kraus
          Introduction to Liturgical Theology by Alexander Schmemann
          Where Hell Freezes Over: A Story of Amazing Bravery and Survival by David Kearns - about a plane that crashed in Antarctica during the US Naval expedition of 1946
          Roving Mars: Spirit, Opportunity, and the Exploration of the Red Planet by Steve Squyres - 11 years on, Opportunity has rather exceeded its 90-day design life.
          The Mountain of Silence: A Search for Orthodox Spirituality by Kyriakos Markides - what Father Maximos has to say is good; what Kyriakos has to say is rather uneven.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• I'm reading The Martian by Andy Weir. It's about an astronaut that gets stranded on Mars and has to survive with the equipment that was left there (Robinson Crusoe on Mars, basically). Strangely interesting read.
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Being As Communion: Studies in Personhood and the Church by (Metropolitan) John Zizioulas
              A Greek Roman Empire: Power and Belief under Theodosius II (AD 408-450) by Fergus Millar
              The Cloud Atlas by Liam Callanan - novel recommended by my aunt; given that its main character is a Roman Catholic priest who is only a priest because he doesn't have the heritage to be a shaman, I'm somewhat shocked it's a part of the (conservative Protestant) Grove City College library.
              Where'd You Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple - another recommend from my aunt, a novel set (mostly) in contemporary Seattle. Billed as incredibly funny, I suppose due to its true-to-life portrayal of liberal stereotypes, I found it meh.
              the Fifth Gosepel by Ian Caldwell - good mystery set in the Vatican, but the epynomous work is, um, not really necessary for the devastating surprise being kept secret. On the positive side, it's much better written and researched than The Davinci Code. On the negative side, it still deserves a screwball for the devastating surprise (not the first one revealed, but the one lurking behind that one).

sigpic

Comment

• Universal Salvation in Late Antiquity, by M. B. Simmons
                The Text of the Old Testament; an Introduction to the Biblia Hebraica,
                by E. Wuerthwein-A. A. Fischer-E. F. Rhodes
                Thomas Aquinas: Faith, Reason, and Following Christ, by F. C. Bauerschmidt
                The Spanish Inquisition, by H. Kamen (2014 edition)
                Paradise Lost, by J. Milton
                My Door is Always Open, by Pope Francis and Antonio Spadaro, S.J.
                Thomas Aquinas's Summa Theologiae, by Brian Davies, O.P.
                Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, by J. K. Rowling
                Out of the Silent Planet, by C. S. Lewis
                Bede: Commentary on Revelation, by F. Wallis
                Ecclesiastes, by Charles Bridges (Geneva Series of Commentaries)
                The Expectations formed by the Assyrians, that a Great Deliverer would appear, about the time of Our Lord's Advent, Demonstrated, by F. Nolan (1826)
                Last edited by Rushing Jaws; 07-26-2015, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• Insanity of God by Nik Ripken Really intense book about a missionary who worked in Somalia in the early 90s in total chaos
                  Let the Nations Be Glad by John Piper Slowly working through this theology of mission book. Good, deep, God-centered missions.
                  (Everyday read) Operation World Pray for every country in the world in a year using this guide.
                  Just finished The Office of Mercy by Ariel Djanikian Scifi novel about what happens when we decides who lives forever and who dies using technology to 'alleviate suffering'
                  sigpic

Comment

• Love That Never Fails: Discussions and Testimonies of Father Selafiil by Savatie Bastovoi
                    Athanasius: The Coherence of His Thought by Khaled Anatolios - this was excellent; I'm sure I'll be referring back to it in the future.
                    Plunder and Deceit: Big Governemt's Exploitation of Young People and the Future
                    The United Nations: A Reassessment - Sanctions, Peacekeeping, and Humanitarian Assistance Ed. John M. Paxman and George T. Boggs
                    Last edited by One Bad Pig; 08-10-2015, 09:33 AM.

sigpic

Comment

• The Lord of the Rings

I've never read it before. It's quite long, I've been reading it for over a week, and I'm only 10% done. I like it, though, and better than most fantasy I've read.
                      Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

• Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
                        The Lord of the Rings

I've never read it before. It's quite long, I've been reading it for over a week, and I'm only 10% done. I like it, though, and better than most fantasy I've read.
                        I just read it for the first time about a year ago. It's amazing.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          I just read it for the first time about a year ago. It's amazing.
                          reads it through once a year.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
                            The Lord of the Rings

Lord of the Rings is pretty much what all the other fantasy books want to be when they grow up.

Comment

• Finished reading Demons by Fyodor Dostoyevsky not too long ago. Just finished The House of the Dead also by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. Currently reading War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy.
                              My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

• It's Not the End of the World by - nice to read the final version finally.

A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings by G. R. R. Martin

The Little Girl and the Cigarette by (don't remember who)

sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X