Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

What art thou currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Listening to: Judas Unchained.

(No it is not a religious book. It is a sci-fi book about alien invasion and politics)

Comment

• Christian Anarchy: Jesus' Primacy Over the Powers by Vernard Eller.
      https://archive.org/details/ChristianAnarchy

Comment

• Worlds Unseen by Rachel Starr Thomson. I never really read fiction but she and I run in some of the same circles online so I'm giving it a try.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Read in February:

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (finished it)
          Swimming Lessons by Claire Fuller (this may be the first time I've ever given a book 1 out of 5 stars)
          "A Peculiar People": Anti-Mormonism and the Making of Religion in Nineteenth-Century America by J. Spencer Fluhman
          Animal Farm by George Orwell
          The Possessions by Sara Flannery Murphy
          Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
          His Dark Materials: The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman

Currently Reading:

Beloved by Toni Morrison
          The Purpose-Driven Life by Rick Warren
          The Silmarillion by J. R. R. Tolkien
          Alcatraz vs. The Evil Librarians by Brandon Sanderson (reading w/ my daughter)
          "It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

Weighted Glory | Christians for Biblical Equality | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable

Comment

• The Ladder of Divine Ascent by St. John (Climacus) of Sinai
            Thirty Steps to Heaven: The Ladder of Divine Ascent for All Walks of Life by Fr. Vassilios Papavassiliou
            Unveiling Empire: Reading Revelation Then and Now by Wes Howard-Brook and Anthony Gwyther - a commentary on Revelation from a liberation theology perspective (not a book I likely would have bothered purchasing now; it's been on my to-read stack for years)
            Encountering the Mystery: Perennial Values of the Orthodox Church by Patriarch Bartholemew of Constantinople
            Great Lent: Journey to Pascha by Fr. Alexander Schmemann
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• The Four Dimensions of Philosophy: Metaphysical, Moral, Objective, Categorical by Mortimer J Adler.

Comment

• The Rise of the Monophysite Movement by W. C. Frend
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Propaganda The Formation Of Men's Attitudes by Jacques Ellul.
                  https://archive.org/details/Propagan...esJacquesEllul

Comment

• Caliban's War (audiobook)
                    James SA Corey

Book 2 of the Expanse.

Comment

• The Ecumenical Patriarchate: A History of Its Metropolitans with Annotated Hierarch Catalogs by Demetrius Kiminas
                      The Resurrection of Jesus: A New Historiographi​cal Approach by Michael R. Licona
                      Greek Commentaries on Revelation (Ancient Christian Texts) by Oecumenius, Andrew of Caesarea, trans. William C. Weinrich
                      Foreigner series by C. J. Cherryh

sigpic

Comment

• Convair B-58 Hustler: The World's First Supersonic Bomber by Jay Miller
                        Steelers Takeaways: Player Memories Through the Decades by Ron Lippock
                        A Study of Gregory Palamas by John Meyendorff
                        The Fall of Constantinople 1453 by Steve Runciman
                        Neptune's Inferno: The U.S. Navy at Guadalcanal by James Hornfischer
                        Lost to the West: The Forgotten Byzantine Empire That Rescued Western Civilization by Lars Brownworth - an entertaining read, but I'm wary of how closely he sticks to the facts; likening Monophysites to the opposite error of Arians is not especially accurate.
                        Salt and Steel: Reflections of a Submariner by Edward Beach
                        The Red Dust by Murray Leinster

sigpic

Comment

• One or other of the Wheel of Time books, I'm listening to them one after the other in audiobook form so I don't actually know which one I'm on. When one ends, the next automatically starts.
                          Unseen Realm by Dr. Michael Heiser
                          Religion and Ritual in Ancient Egypt by Emily Teeter
                          Egyptian Mythology: A Guide to the Gods, Goddesses, and Traditions of Ancient Egypt by Geraldine Pinch
                          Why Are There Differences in the Gospels? by Mike Licona

I don't know if it counts as "reading", but I am listening to Dr. Heiser's podcast about the Bible. I'm on episode 104 out of 160.
                          Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

• Hunters of Dune by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. It's pretty good so far.
                            Last edited by Rational Gaze; 05-31-2017, 10:27 PM.
                            My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

• Abaddon's Gate by James S.A. Corey - third book in the Expanse series. Audiobook. I started listening to the series all over again when the Sci-Fi channel started the series The Expanse. The TV series follows the main plot pretty closely but has a lot of "shortcuts" - they have created a few extra characters here and there to move the plot along faster, or changed a few things to make things clearer quicker than in the book. Basically the first two seasons covered the first book and part of the second. There are currently 6 books and two more in the works:

1 Leviathan Wakes
                              2 Caliban's War
                              5 Nemesis Games
                              6 Babylon's Ashes

upcoming:
                              7. Persepolis Rising 2017
                              8. Unknown forthcoming 2018
                              9. Unknown 2019

Also fun fact: The Expanse apparently take place in the same universe as "The Martian" - a ship called the "Mark Watney" out of Mars is mentioned in Babylon's Ashes. (Mark Watney was the guy stranded on Mars in the movie/book The Martian)

Comment

• Tolstoy's War and Peace and then I'll go back to Susan Hill.
                                I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X