Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

What art thou currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Must be nice. Rush "hour" is like 4 hours long here - and it costs more to park downtown than it does for me to take public transportation.
    Rush hour usually lasts from 4:30 to 6:30PM in the city proper. I normally get to work by 7AM and leave by 4:30pm so I avoid the worst of it both ways.

It costs like $90/month for the bus now, and my parking is $120/month (they pay it for me at work pretax so that saves a bit too) so it is a bit more expensive to drive. I also have to buy gas but a tank usually lasts me two weeks. But the driving is way more convenient, especially with all of the medical appointments I still have to go to.
    Last edited by Sparko; 05-29-2018, 01:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goulette View Post
      What city are you talking about? A bunch of people here in Kitchener work in Toronto or the TO area. In good traffic it's slightly over a hour to get to Toronto, I can't imagine what rush hour is like.
      Washington, DC. Some people start their workday as early as 6:00 AM, and leave at 2:30. People who work in/near DC live as far away as Pennsylvania and West Virginia.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• The Metamorphoses of Ovid, Book 1, in Latin - the only way to read it
        Paradise Lost, Book 2
        Virgil’s Aeneid, Book 6 - in Latin, etc.
        Finnegans Wake

Comment

• The Myth of the Rational Voter by Bryan Caplan
          My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

It's about 2 hours each way, not 4. Four hours total. And the distance really isn't the issue, but the traffic. I can drive to work in about 35 minutes on the weekend.
            That seems horrible. When I'm in North Carolina for the summer, my driving commute is something like 18 minutes during rush hour and 13 minutes if it's not rush hour. In the entire Chapel Hill/Durham area there are a couple freeway spots that regularly get sort of backed up, but most traffic still goes at or above the speed limit. But there's an extra 12-14 minutes of walking, since there's no nearby parking. I'll be working in Oklahoma later in the year, and my commute will be a 12 minute bike ride (17 minutes if the wind's in my face).
            Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

• Thunderbird by Jack McDevitt
              Atomic accidents: a history of nuclear meltdowns and disasters: from the Ozark Mountains to Fukushima by James Mahaffey
              Bringing Columbia Home - the Untold Story of a Lost Space Shuttle and Her Crew by Michael D. Leinbach
              Proclus On Baptism In Constantinople by Juliette Day
              The B-58 Blunder: How the U.S. Abandoned Its Best Strategic Bomber by Col. George Holt, Jr.
              Steel Boat, Iron Hearts: A U-Boat Crewman's Life Aboard U-505 by Hans Goebeler
              War Dogs by Greg Bear
              The lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch - quite possibly, someone even more adept at roguishness than... rogue06
              War dogs : tales of canine heroism, history, and love by Rebecca Frankel
              Trinintarian Perspectives: Toward Doctrinal Agreement ed. T. F. Torrance
              Chuck Noll: His Life's Work by Michael MacCambridge
              Secondborn by Amy A. Bartol - this one was pretty bad; apparently a thinly veneered retelling of The Hunger Games (which I haven't read), the main premise of which is a society strictly regulated to births significantly below replacement level
              The Hebrew Republic: Jewish Sources and the Transformation of European Political Thought by Eric Nelson - I think this was a Starlight recommend
              Rereads: James Clemens' Wit'ch series, Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series - slowly working my way through both
              The Sun, Moon, and Stars by Stephen Brust
              The Trinity and an Entangled World: Relationality in Physical Science and Theology Ed. John Polkinghorn

On deck:
              A Companion to Second-Century Christian "Heretics" by Antti Marjanen
              Codex Sinaiticus and the Simonides Affair: An Examination of the Nineteenth Century Claim that Codex Sinaiticus Was Not an Ancient Manuscript by J. K. Elliott
              The Making of Orthodoxy: Essays in Honour of Henry Chadwick Ed. Rowan Williams (Archbishop of Canterbury)
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• A Dance with Dragons by George R. R. Martin.
                "Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
                -Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Originally posted by T-Shirt Ninja View Post
                  A Dance with Dragons by George R. R. Martin.
                  Very unhappy that his writing has slowed to such a crawl that the TV series started much later than the books has gotten past the point he's published.

sigpic

Comment

Very unhappy that his writing has slowed to such a crawl that the TV series started much later than the books has gotten past the point he's published.
                    The new syfy channel series starting up this fall, Nightflyers, sounds incredibly dumb. Basically a horror story set in space.

Comment

• William Irwin, ed., More Matrix and Philosophy

Comment

• Animal Farm by George Orwell.

Comment

• How Alexander Hamilton Screwed Up America by Brion McClanahan

Comment

• Clockwork Angels by Kevin J Anderson

Comment

• Thomas Sowell, Basic Economics, 4th Edition

Comment

• Gregory Bassham and Eric Bronson, eds., Lord and the Rings and Philosophy: One Book to Rule Them All

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X