Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

What art thou currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Famous Works of Art and How They Got That Way - John B. Nici
    Also a biography of Napoleon Bonaparte, I don't remember the author.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Currently reading:
      Game of Thrones and Philosophy: Logic Cuts Deeper Than Swords by William Irwin, ed.
      In Defence of Classical Liberalism by Matt Palumbo and Corey Iacono
      My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

• I've started re-reading The Crook in the Lot by Thomas Boston. I've had some...stuff...going on lately, which I think will put this book in a bit of a new light for me.
        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• One World by Tal Brooke

Comment

• Currently reading:
            The Hobbit and Philosophy: For When You've Lost Your Dwarves, Your Wizard, and Your Way by Eric Bronson
            Plan 9 From Jesus Mythicism by Albert McIlheny

Comment

• I thought about diving in to Infinite Jest, but I don't have Infinite Time.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• The Age of the Spirit: How the Ghost of an Ancient Controversy Is Shaping the Church by Phyllis Tickle and Jon M Sweeney - awful
                Remember Thy First Love (Revelation 2:4–5): The Three Stages of the Spiritual Life in the Theology of Elder Sophrony by Archimandrite Zacharias - awesome; an abbot gave me a copy, and I wish I'd gotten around to reading it sooner
                Sergeant Rex: the unbreakable bond between a Marine and his military working dog by Mike Dowling
                Men at Arms by Terry Pratchett
                The Earliest Christian Hymnbook: The Odes of Solomon by James H. Charlesworth
                Persecuted: The Global Assault on Christians by Paul Marshall and Lela Gilbert
                Mystic Treatises By Isaac Of Nineveh trans. A. J. Wensinck

On deck:
                Into the Black: The Extraordinary Untold Story of the First Flight of the Space Shuttle Columbia and the Astronauts Who Flew Her by Rowland White, Richard Truly
                Dr. Z: The Lost Memoirs of an Irreverent Football Writer by Paul Zimmerman, Peter King
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• I missed Paul: A Biography by N. T. Wright (it's pretty good, as one might expect)

On deck:
                  Theological Dialogue Between Orthodox and Reformed Churches by T. F. Torrance
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    The Age of the Spirit: How the Ghost of an Ancient Controversy Is Shaping the Church by Phyllis Tickle and Jon M Sweeney - awful
                    Remember Thy First Love (Revelation 2:4–5): The Three Stages of the Spiritual Life in the Theology of Elder Sophrony by Archimandrite Zacharias - awesome; an abbot gave me a copy, and I wish I'd gotten around to reading it sooner
                    Sergeant Rex: the unbreakable bond between a Marine and his military working dog by Mike Dowling
                    Men at Arms by Terry Pratchett
                    The Earliest Christian Hymnbook: The Odes of Solomon by James H. Charlesworth
                    Persecuted: The Global Assault on Christians by Paul Marshall and Lela Gilbert
                    Mystic Treatises By Isaac Of Nineveh trans. A. J. Wensinck

On deck:
                    Into the Black: The Extraordinary Untold Story of the First Flight of the Space Shuttle Columbia and the Astronauts Who Flew Her by Rowland White, Richard Truly
                    Dr. Z: The Lost Memoirs of an Irreverent Football Writer by Paul Zimmerman, Peter King
                    Do you read these all at the same time? As in one sentence from Remember... then one sentence from Sgt. Rex and so on...?

Comment

• Currently I'm going through the NIV bible, currently in Ezekiel. I'm also reviewing Living Language's Intermediate French, and testing out the trial versions of the Biblical Language Centre's online Greek and Hebrew courses.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goulette View Post
                        Do you read these all at the same time? As in one sentence from Remember... then one sentence from Sgt. Rex and so on...?
                        Not quite in that granular a manner. The theological works generally constitute my commute reading material.

sigpic

Comment

• The Hunger Games and Philosophy: A Critique of Pure Treason by William Irwin, ed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rational Gaze View Post
                            The Hunger Games and Philosophy: A Critique of Pure Treason by William Irwin, ed.
                            Why? Why would someone write that? Why would anyone read that?

Comment

• The Real Cassian Revisited: Monastic Life, Greek Paideia, and Origenism in the Sixth Century by Professor Panayiotis Tzamalikos
                              A Newly Discovered Greek Father: Cassian the Sabaite Eclipsed by John Cassian of Marseilles by Professor Panayiotis Tzamalikos
                              Hawk: A Novel of Vlad Taltos by Steven Brust
                              Atomic Adventures: Secret Islands, Forgotten N-Rays, and Isotopic Murder: A Journey into the Wild World of Nuclear Science by James Mahaffey
                              Comm Check....: The Final Flight of Shuttle Columbia by Michael Cabbage, William Harwood
                              Resurrecting Easter: How the West Lost and the East Kept the Original Easter Vision by John Dominic Crossan, Sarah Crossan
                              The Faded Sun Trilogy: Kesrith, Shon'jir, and Kutath by C. J. Cherryh

On deck: An Ancient Commentary on the Book of Revelation: A Critical Edition of the Scholia in Apocalypsin by Professor Panayiotis Tzamalikos
                              Clement of Alexandria on Trial by Ashwin-Siejkowsk

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                The Real Cassian Revisited: Monastic Life, Greek Paideia, and Origenism in the Sixth Century by Professor Panayiotis Tzamalikos
                                A Newly Discovered Greek Father: Cassian the Sabaite Eclipsed by John Cassian of Marseilles by Professor Panayiotis Tzamalikos
                                I wouldn't even pretend that I could get anywhere close to pronouncing his (it is a he, right?) name correctly.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X