Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

What art thou currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Currently listening to audiobook version of The Devil's Delusion by David Berlinski.
    My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

• The Great Divorce by C. S. Lewis
      The Descent of the Dove: The History of the Holy Spirit in the Church by Charles Williams
      Dreamsongs Vol. 1 by G. R. R. Martin
      Assault on Olympus: The Rise of the House of Gramont between 1604 and 1678 by Warren H. Lewis (brother of C. S. Lewis)
      Studia Patristica Vol. 39 ed. Frances Young, et al.
      The Monastic Letters of St. Athanasius the Great trans. Leslie W. Barnard
      Evagrius Ponticus: Ad Monachos Trans. and Commentary by Jeremy Driscoll
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Letters and Homilies for Hellenized Christians Volume 1 by Ben Witherington
        The Early Christian Letters for Everyone by N.T. Wright
        Paul and the Faithfulness of God by N.T. Wright
        Aragorn: What do you fear, my lady?

Eowyn: A cage. To stay behind bars until use and old age accept them and all chance of valor has gone beyond recall or desire.

Aragorn: You are a daughter of kings, a shield maiden of Rohan. I do not think that will be your fate.

Comment

• Scientific Approaches to the Philosophy of Religion by Yujin Nagasawa, ed.

Comment

• Rogue World by BV Larson.

and no it isn't about rogue06, although the first book in the series did have dinosaurs in it.

Comment

• Finished recently:

Wheel of Time, Robert Jordan (finally... started this series in January)

Mere Christianity, C. S. Lewis

The first Mistborn trilogy, Brandon Sanderson

Listening right now:

Making Sense of God: an Invitation to the Skeptical, Timothy Keller

William Lane Craig's Defenders series (not sure that counts as a book, but close enough)

Next on the list:

Miracles, Eric Metaxas

Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy, Eric Metaxas

How Should We Then Live?, Francis Schaeffer

The second Mistborn trilogy, as soon as the first book is available from the library

I'm on the library waiting list for quite a few audiobooks, mostly fiction. Good non-fiction, especially theology, is hard to find on audiobook.
              Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

• Just checked out a bunch more books from the library on my lunch break today. Upcoming list, in probable listening order, after the ones in my previous post:

Erasing Hell: What God Said About Eternity, and the Things We've Made Up, Francis Chan and Preston Sprinkle

The Four Loves, C.S. Lewis

God's Not Dead, Rice Broocks

Irreligion: A Mathematician Explains Why the Arguments For God Just Don't Add Up, John Allen Paulos

The Complete Bible Answer Book, Hank Hanegraaf

The Everlasting Man, G. K. Chesterton

Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus, Nabeel Qureshi

You and Me Forever: Marriage in Light of Eternity, Francis and Lisa Chan

The Tao Te Ching, Lao Tsu

Refelections on the Psalms, C.S. Lewis

Meditations, Marcus Aurelius

My Religion, Leo Tolstoy

My Utmost for His Highest, Oswald Chambers

Orthodoxy, G.K. Chesterton

Prayer: The Essential Guide, Timothy Keller

Books on hold that I've not checked out yet: (Audiobooks still have a limited number of "copies" that a library "owns" that can be checked out, and you have to wait for someone else's copy to "expire" before it becomes "available".)

Cold-Case Christianity, J. Warner Wallace

Updated edition of The Strong-Willed Child, Dr. James Dobson (Rational Gaze wants kids, I fully expect them to be like him.)

A Peculiar Glory, John Piper

The Great Divorce, C.S. Lewis

The End of Faith, Sam Harris

The Knowledge of the Holy, A.W. Tozer

Why the Jews?, Dennis Prager and Joseph Telushkin

Things I Wish I'd Known Before We Became Parents, Gary Chapman with Shannon Warden

Crazy Love, Francis Chan

Forgotten God, Francis Chan

Then a bunch of Brandon Sanderson's books:

The Way of Kings

Words of Radiance

Warbreaker

Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection

The Alloy of Law

Elantris

Edit: I forgot the stuff on the other library card, hah
                Last edited by QuantaFille; 09-16-2017, 10:44 PM.

Comment

• Lincoln's Lieutenants: The High Command of the Army of the Potomac by Stephen W. Sears
                  Autumn of the Black Snake: The Creation of the U.S. Army and the Invasion That Opened the West by William Hogeland
                  Daughter of the Empire, Servant of the Empire, and Mistress of the Empire by Raymond Feist and Janny Wurts (re-reads)
                  The Periodic Table by Primo Levi
                  Fields of Fire by Marko Kloos

Waiting for a couple books to come in via ILL:
                  Studia Patristica Vol. XL ed. Frances Young, et al.
                  Evagrius of Pontus: The Greek Ascetic Corpus by Robert E. Sinkewicz
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Audiobook

We Are Legion

32603222._UY200_.jpg

Bob Johansson has just sold his software company and is looking forward to a life of leisure. There are places to go, books to read, and movies to watch. So it's a little unfair when he gets himself killed crossing the street.

Bob wakes up a century later to find that corpsicles have been declared to be without rights, and he is now the property of the state. He has been uploaded into computer hardware and is slated to be the controlling AI in an interstellar probe looking for habitable planets. The stakes are high: no less than the first claim to entire worlds. If he declines the honor, he'll be switched off, and they'll try again with someone else. If he accepts, he becomes a prime target. There are at least three other countries trying to get their own probes launched first, and they play dirty.

The safest place for Bob is in space, heading away from Earth at top speed. Or so he thinks. Because the universe is full of nasties, and trespassers make them mad - very mad.

---
                    Pretty humorous book.

Comment

• Currently reading 'Warranted Christian Belief' by Alvin Plantinga.

Comment

• Finished:

Erasing Hell: What God Said About Eternity, and the Things We've Made Up, Francis Chan and Preston Sprinkle

The Four Loves, C.S. Lewis

God's Not Dead, Rice Broocks

Irreligion: A Mathematician Explains Why the Arguments For God Just Don't Add Up, John Allen Paulos (This one was pretty bad. I had never heard of the author but the title intrigued me, so I got it. The author should have read a few books before writing one.)

The Complete Bible Answer Book, Hank Hanegraaf

The Everlasting Man, G. K. Chesterton (I ended up skipping this one only 5% in. I just could not follow his train of thought. Maybe I'd do better with a print copy.)

Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus, Nabeel Qureshi

Right now I am catching up on the Naked Bible podcast, and then I'll pick up where I've left off on my book list.

Comment

• Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                          Finished:

Sprinkle's since crossed over to the dark side (annihilationism)
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Justo Gonzalez - The Story of Christianity (volume 1)

Once I get paid I want to buy Michael Heiser's new book (can't remember the title offhand)
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              Sprinkle's since crossed over to the dark side (annihilationism)
                              Interesting. As a side note, every time I see his name, I can't help but wonder what his position is on baptism.

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              Once I get paid I want to buy Michael Heiser's new book (can't remember the title offhand)
                              I have Kindle copies of his fiction books, plus The Unseen Realm and Reversing Hermon. I need audiobook versions or I'll never get around to reading them.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                                Justo Gonzalez - The Story of Christianity (volume 1)
                                I've read both volumes of this work, and I was rather underwhelmed. It's written very much on a popular level, with few supporting footnotes or references.

sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X