Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

What art thou currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've finished a few books recently - Bede's commentary on Revelation tonight, for instance - but here's what I'm still wrapping up:
    • "Most Blessed of the Patriarchs": Thomas Jefferson and the Empire of Imagination by Annette Gordon-Reed and Peter S. Onuf
    • The Edge of the World: A Cultural History of the North Sea and the Transformation of Europe by Michael Pye
    • The Works of Jonathan Edwards, vol. 15: Notes on Scripture
    • Ezekiel (Brazos Theological Commentary) by Robert W. Jenson
    • Ambrose of Milan and the End of the Arian-Nicene Conflicts by Daniel H. Williams
    • The Diary of George Templeton Strong, vol. 1: Young Man in New York, 1835-1849
    • My Journey into the Heart of Terror: Ten Days in the Islamic State by Jurgen Todenhofer
    • Science, Evolution, and Religion: A Debate About Atheism and Theism by Michael L. Peterson and Michael Ruse
    "The Jesus Christ who saves sinners is the same Christ who beckons his followers to serious use of their minds for serious explorations of the world." - Mark Noll

"It cannot be that the people should grow in grace unless they give themselves to reading." - John Wesley

"Wherever men are still theological, there is still some chance of their being logical." - G. K. Chesterton

Comment

• New Glory: Expanding America's Global Supremacy by Ralph Peters
      The Speckled Monster: A Historical Tale of Battling Smallpox by Jennifer Lee Carrell
      Trafalgar: The Nelson Touch by David Howarth
      St. Gregory Palamas: Treatise on the Spiritual Life trans. Daniel M. Rogich
      Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie
      The Spirituality of Athanasius: A Key for Proper Understanding of This Important Church Father by Nathan Kwok-kit Ng
      Dionysius bar Salibi's Factual and Spiritual Commentary on Psalms 73-82 trans. Stephen Desmond Ryan, O.P.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• In the past couple months I've read
        Isaac's Storm by Erik Larsen
        The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
        The Door Into Summer by Robert A. Heinlein (still in progress).

I don't read as much as some of you.
        Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

• Currently most of the way through Sandworms of Dune.
          My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

• Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
            In the past couple months I've read
            Isaac's Storm by Erik Larsen
            The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
            The Door Into Summer by Robert A. Heinlein (still in progress).

I don't read as much as some of you.
            I like Heinlein's older/standard stuff. Then he seemed to go all new-agey, free love, whackamole. Starting with the Lazarus Long stuff.

Comment

• "You Can Make a Difference"
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• [i]The Johnstown Flood[/i'] by David McCullough
                No Man's Land by Simeon Tolkien (grandson of JRRT)
                Tolkien and the Great War: The Threshold of Middle-earth by John Garth
                My 75 Years with the Pittsburgh Steelers and the NFL by Dan Rooney
                The True Jesus by David Limbaugh
                Tank Commander by Bill Close
                The Lightless Sky: A Twelve-Year-Old Refugee's Harrowing Escape from Afghanistan and His Extraordinary Journey Across Half the World by Gulwali Passarlay - you should read this
                The Idea Of Apostolicity In Byzantium And The Legend Of Apostle Andrew by Francis Dvornik
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Read FISH last night

https://www.amazon.com/Fish-Proven-M.../dp/0786866020
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    The first book was fast paced and exciting. It really slows down in the middle books. I think he was going to write a trilogy or some short series at first, then decided to milk it for all it's worth and stretch the story into a dozen books. I enjoyed the audiobooks because you can just sit back and listen. But if I had to READ through the books, as thick and slow as they are, I would have given up by the third book. I think it took me a year to go through all of the audiobooks (I listen on the way to and from work and during road trips)
                    I'm on page 337 - 11,626 to go. Tolkien is much more manageable. The WOT books should be divided into 2 parts each, then they would be more digestible; which is what happens to them in some countries.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
                      I'm on page 337 - 11,626 to go. Tolkien is much more manageable. The WOT books should be divided into 2 parts each, then they would be more digestible; which is what happens to them in some countries.
                      WoT was a fairly good tale, but Jordan just spent too much time describing insignificant nonsense, like dresses.

Comment

• What Would Jesus Drink? by Joel McDurmon
                        Jesus and the Remains of His Day: Studies in Jesus and the Evidence of Material Culture by Craig A. Evans
                        Shattered: inside Hillary Clinton's doomed campaign by Jonathan Allen
                        Photius: The Bibliotheca trans. N. G. Wilson
                        Ancillary Mercy and Ancillary Sword[/i] by Ann Leckie
                        Dauntless by Jack Campbell - this was terrible; only got about half-way through it before giving up in disgust. Plot in a nutshell: Lost hero in suspended animation for 100 years is found, helps idiots who have been fighting a war with other idiots the whole time finally start winning.
                        And Scripture Cannot Be Broken: The Form and Function of the Early Christian Testimonia Collections by Martin Albl
                        Bandersnatch: C. S. Lewis, J. R. R. Tolkien, and the Creative Collaboration of The Inklings by Diana Pavlac Glyer and James A. Owen
                        Terms of Enlistment by Marko Kloos - pretty good; I enjoyed it enough to track down book 2.
                        A Hitchhiker's Guide to Jesus: Reading the Gospels on the Ground by Bruce N. Fisk

Picking up from the library today:
                        The discarded image; an introduction to medieval and Renaissance literature by C. S. Lewis
                        Letters to Malcolm: chiefly on prayer. by C. S. Lewis
                        All Hallows' Eve by Charles Williams
                        Arthurian Torso - Containing the Posthumous Fragment of the Figure of Arthur by Charles Williams

sigpic

Comment

• Life in China Before the Mongol Invasion: 1259 - 1275

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Just finished "The Devil in Massachusetts" Marion Starkey

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• The Place of the Lion by Charles Williams
                              The Pilgrim's Regress by C. S. Lewis
                              Till We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
                              Studia Patristica Vol. XLII (wanted all of the 2003 conference (vols. XXXIX to XLIII), but only got the one; will read the others when ILL drops them off at the library)
                              Soul Music by Terry Pratchett
                              Lines of Departure and Angles of Attack by Marko Kloos
                              A History of Russia by Nicholas V. Riasanovsky
                              Leontius, Presbyter of Constantinople: Fourteen Homilies transl. by Pauline Allen

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                The Place of the Lion by Charles Williams
                                The Pilgrim's Regress by C. S. Lewis
                                Till We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
                                Studia Patristica Vol. XLII (wanted all of the 2003 conference (vols. XXXIX to XLIII), but only got the one; will read the others when ILL drops them off at the library)
                                Soul Music by Terry Pratchett
                                Lines of Departure and Angles of Attack by Marko Kloos
                                A History of Russia by Nicholas V. Riasanovsky
                                Leontius, Presbyter of Constantinople: Fourteen Homilies transl. by Pauline Allen
                                You are reading all of them at the same time?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X