Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

What art thou currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
    Does anyone here track how many books they read in a year? My wife came across some challenge to read 52 books in a year which, for us, isn't much of a challenge.
    I don't, but I'm fairly certain I average more than that.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• The Federalist Papers by Alexander Hamilton, John Jay, and James Madison.
      http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/18

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        I don't, but I'm fairly certain I average more than that.
        You probably do. I just hit 25 for the year this past Sunday. She's trying to meet the challenge (currently at 18 iirc), but I'm just keeping a log out of curiosity.

I'm currently reading The Vampire Armand by Anne Rice and Mortal Coils by Eric Nylund. I've been slowly working my way through the Vampire Chronicles. The first one was downright boring, but the rest have been pretty decent. I'm not sure yet how I feel about Mortal Coils, but I'm only 1/4 of the way through it.
        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Church and Society in Byzantium under the Comneni, 1081-1261 by Michael Angold
          Monks and Laymen in Byzantium, 843–1118 by Rosemary Morris
          Living in Christ: Essays on the Christian Life by an Orthodox Nun by Mother Raphaela
          The Lenten Triodion Trans. Mother Mary and Kallistos Ware
          The Epistles of St. Symeon the New Theologian by H.J.M. Turner
          Wounded by Love: The Life and the Wisdom of Elder Porphyrios ed. The Sisters of the Holy Convent of Chrysopigi
          Flirting With Monasticism: Finding God on Ancient Paths by Karen E. Sloan
          Prayer of the Publican: Justification in the Desert Fathers by Joseph Lucas
          Tradition and Composition in the Epistula Apostolorum by Julian Hills
          Saint Ambrose: Theological and dogmatic works (The Fathers of the church, a new translation Volume 44), Trans. Roy J. Deferrari
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Stalking the Red Bear: The True Story of a U.S. Cold War Submarine's Covert Operations Against the Soviet Union by Peter Sagsen - a bit sensational.
            Rig Ship for Ultra Quiet by Andrew Karam - probably the most true to life of the nuke sub stories I've read, though I feel little sympathy for someone who didn't need to stand a regular watch.
            The [Un]documented Mark Steyn by Mark Steyn
            "A Disgrace to the Profession" by Mark Steyn
            The Experience of God: Being, Consciousness, Bliss by David Bentley Hart - highly recommended
            The Morgaine Saga and Exile's Gate by C. J. Cherryh
            The Emaus Code by David Limbaugh - not bad, for a layman.

sigpic

Comment

• Destructive Trends in Mental Health: The Well Intentioned Path to Harm by Drs. Wright and Cummings.

Comment

• Saving the Holy Sepulchre: How Rival Christians Came Together to Resue their Holiest Shrine by Raymond Cohen (interesting topic of choice for a Cohen, but it's good)
                Terrible Swift Sword: The Life of General Philip H. Sheridan[/i] by Joseph Wheelan
                Dan Rooney : my 75 years with the Pittsburgh Steelers and the NFL by Dan Rooney
                SPQR : a history of ancient Rome by Mary Beard
                Cyprian by Michal M. Sage
                The Dread Empire series by Glen Cook

On deck: The Book of Malazan the Fallen series by Steven Erickson

sigpic

Comment

• Mutual Attraction Plan - Athol Kay

No More Mr. Nice Guy - Robert A. Glover, PH.D.
                  "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                    Mutual Attraction Plan - Athol Kay

No More Mr. Nice Guy - Robert A. Glover, PH.D.
                    Correction: Mindful Attraction Plan - Athol Kay
                    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• Day of Deceit: The Truth About FDR and Pearl Harbor by Robert Stinnett.

Comment

• I finally decided to see what all the fuss was about and have started reading David Foster Wallace's "Infinite Jest."
                        Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

• Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                          Does anyone here track how many books they read in a year? My wife came across some challenge to read 52 books in a year which, for us, isn't much of a challenge.
                          Maybe 12 or so, half of which are for school. I used to read a lot more in middle school (say 40 books/year), but I've been busier and less interested in reading since then. I often read only part of a book.
                          Anyway, I've recently read Antarctica by Kim Stanley Robinson, am currently reading Xenocide by Orson Scott Card, and plan to restart The Year Without Summer: 1816 by William and Nicholas Klingman soon. I read part of that book in 2015, and will pick up around where I left off.
                          I'm also reading the interesting chapters of The Why's of a Philosophical Scrivener by Martin Gardener.
                          Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

• Omnipotent Government_Mises_750x516_20160803.jpg
                            https://mises.org/system/tdf/Omnipot...&type=document

Comment

• I've finished reading Miracles by Craig Keener, very good. I then read The Burial of Jesus by James F. McGrath, which, whilst providing sound reasons for accepting the historicity of the minimal facts, was full of whacky, off-the-wall comments.

Currently reading Who Is Jesus? by Darrell L. Bock.
                              My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

• Nicene/Post-Nicene Fathers Series 2 Book 7 - Cyril of Jerusalem and Gregory Nazianzen
                                The Interstellar Age: Inside the Forty-Year Voyager Mission by Jim Bell
                                Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson
                                Maximus the Confessor by Fr. Andrew Louth
                                Christ the Conqueror of Hell: the Descent into Hades from an Orthodox Perspective by Archbishop Hilarion Alfeyev
                                Laurus by Eugene Vodolazkin

sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X