Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

What art thou currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JB DoulosChristou View Post
    Hey, I read those three while I was gone. Have you read anything by St. Paisios of Mount Athos?
    I've read quotes (probably from johnsanidopoulos.com), but haven't read any books.
    Going over all the books would be tedious, but some of this year's were:
    Saint Gregory Palamas: The Homilies, trans. Christopher Veniamin
    I think this one's the only one on my "to read" pile(s).
    Church, World, Mission: Reflections on Orthodoxy and the West by Alexander Schmemann
    I don't think I've read this yet, but I'm sure I've seen it in my church library. So many books, so little time.

The Post-Nicene Fathers editors, in their infinite wisdom, chose to translate only snippets of various homilies by St. Basil the Great in their prologemena, even though there was certainly room to expand the volume dedicated to him. So I've been tracking down down translations of the homilies (which is, naturally, not straightforward) to read once I finish his letters. One of these years, I'll make it out of the 4th century.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post

I've read quotes (probably from johnsanidopoulos.com), but haven't read any books.
      I've so far read the first two volumes of Spiritual Counsels - namely, With Pain and Love for Contemporary Man and Spiritual Awakening - but I have the other three sitting on my shelf, too. I'm not sure I would have liked him much if I'd met him face-to-face, but he certainly does offer a challenge, and that's the beauty of sainthood. I picked up an icon of him (and one of St. Porphyrios) on my way back from Mount Athos. (Though my favorite is still a diptych with an icon of Christ on one half and the text of the Nicene Creed on the other...)

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      I think this one's the only one on my "to read" pile(s).
      You'll find it worthwhile when you do. I couldn't believe how long it took me to read! But, I'll freely confess, thanks to the excellent index of scripture references, I frequently turn back to it when I'm writing sermons, to see what St. Gregory had to say on the text. I've quoted him in at least one or two sermons, and even more than that in the church newsletter I write - I always have a page of quotations (with sources, because unsourced quotations are abominable) for people to read, and I try to make sure that readers get a healthy dose of Christian wisdom beyond the bounds of Protestantism. St. Gregory, St. Paisios, St. Silouan, and St. Porphyrios have all been quite good for supplying that. (St. Symeon the New Theologian and St. John of Kronstadt, too.)

I don't think I've read this yet, but I'm sure I've seen it in my church library. So many books, so little time.
      I'm not too proud to admit that I understood maybe 1% of what Fr. Schmemann wrote in the essays included in Church, World, Mission. Usually I find him a lot more intelligible, or at least I thought I did (For the Life of the World was required reading at seminary). Well, I have his journals on my shelf, and recently ordered three slim volumes of his homilies, so I suppose time will tell.

The Post-Nicene Fathers editors, in their infinite wisdom, chose to translate only snippets of various homilies by St. Basil the Great in their prologemena, even though there was certainly room to expand the volume dedicated to him. So I've been tracking down down translations of the homilies (which is, naturally, not straightforward) to read once I finish his letters. One of these years, I'll make it out of the 4th century.
      Anything you find good, modern translations of, be sure to let me know!
      "The Jesus Christ who saves sinners is the same Christ who beckons his followers to serious use of their minds for serious explorations of the world." - Mark Noll

"It cannot be that the people should grow in grace unless they give themselves to reading." - John Wesley

"Wherever men are still theological, there is still some chance of their being logical." - G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Anything you find good, modern translations of, be sure to let me know!
        The PPS series by St. Vladimir's Press seems to be decent. St. Basil's moral homilies are represented in vols. 30, 38, 47, 50, and 51 (covering all but one of the numbered homilies referenced in NPNF, that one no longer considered authentic, and including the Moralia (51). I have an English translation of his commentary on Isaiah 1-14 (published in Italy!), but haven't gotten to it yet.

Now reading:
        The Eucharist by Alexander Schmemann
        Irreconcilable Differences? A Learning Resource for Jews and Christians ed. David F. Sandmel, Rosann M. Catalano, and Christopher M. Leighton - not recommended; the Christian scholars involved are of a decidedly liberal bent, and I suspect the Jewish co-writers are as well.
        Why On Earth Did Anyone Become a Christian in the First Three Centuries? by Larry W. Hurtado - just starting this one.
        Gregory of Nyssa: The Letters by Anna M. Silvas - this is excellent, and deserves wider circulation; unfortunately, Brill wants an arm and a leg for a copy (yay for ILL)
        The Pericope of the Adulteress in Contemporary Research ed. David Alan Black - this surprisingly rather convinced me that the PA is likely original to John (in a nutshell, the story skips rather awkwardly from 7:52-8:12, and none of the essayists propounding the negative conclusion touched on that; it may have dropped out in some copies because the surrounding setting was chosen very early for the gospel lection on Pentecost, where the PA doesn't fit).
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Addendum:

Studia Patristica Vols. 24-28: Papers Presented at the Eleventh International Conference on Patristic Studies held in Oxford 1991 Ed. Elizabeth A. Livingstone. - I wanted to read a 7-page article on St. Basil's commentary on Isaiah, and got 5 volumes through ILL. Oh well, guess I'll get some unanticipated learning.

sigpic

Comment

• Just finished Frank Herbert's God Emperor of Dune. Not quite as good as the previous entries, imo.
            Finished my SAAS OT/NKJV NT Orthodox Study Bible. Pretty good, although I still disagree with certain Orthodox doctrines and notions. I just didn't find the commentaries and mini-articles included persuasive.

Currently reading:
            ESV (Anglicised), since that is a favourite in these parts.

And I have Heretics of Dune on hold at the library.
            My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

I thought God Emperor of Dune was awful.
              That was my opinion, I just stated it less aggressively. In essence, even though I understand the motivations of Leto II, everything he says and does is just a load of old guff. He is completely unlikeable as a character. Which is why I didn't like Children of Dune as much as the previous two (although still better than GEoD)
              Last edited by Rational Gaze; 11-12-2016, 08:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rational Gaze View Post
                That was my opinion, I just stated it less aggressively.
                Stay away from his son's reboot of the universe, unless you like fanfic.

sigpic

Comment

Stay away from his son's reboot of the universe, unless you like fanfic.
                  From what I understand, Brian finished the final novel, splitting it into two. (Kind of like how the final Wheel of Time book was split into three by Brandon Sanderson after Robert Jordan's death). Well, I liked the final three WoT books so if the last two Dune books are in the same vein as the last three WoT books, then I should like at least those.

Comment

From what I understand, Brian finished the final novel, splitting it into two. (Kind of like how the final Wheel of Time book was split into three by Brandon Sanderson after Robert Jordan's death). Well, I liked the final three WoT books so if the last two Dune books are in the same vein as the last three WoT books, then I should like at least those.
                    I dunno, I didn't really get the fanfic vibe from the final WoT books, though I didn't like those either.

sigpic

Comment

Addendum:

Studia Patristica Vols. 24-28: Papers Presented at the Eleventh International Conference on Patristic Studies held in Oxford 1991 Ed. Elizabeth A. Livingstone. - I wanted to read a 7-page article on St. Basil's commentary on Isaiah, and got 5 volumes through ILL. Oh well, guess I'll get some unanticipated learning.
                      JB,

I think you'd especially like (I mean, the whole thing seems up your alley) 'A Richer Union': Leontius of Byzantium and the Relationship of Human and Divine in Christ by Brian E. Daley, SJ (pp. 239-265 in vol. XXIV). Fr. Daley mentions in it that he's working on a translation of Leontius' works (which is finally being published next year, 26 years later!).

sigpic

Comment

• On the Nature of Man by Bishop Nemesius of Emesa
                        The Christian East and the Rise of the Papacy: The Church 1071-1453 A.D (Church History) by Aristeides Papadakis, John Meyendorff
                        Theodore Abu Qurrah, Trans. John C. Lamoreaux (interestingly, published by BYU)

sigpic

Comment

JB,

I think you'd especially like (I mean, the whole thing seems up your alley) 'A Richer Union': Leontius of Byzantium and the Relationship of Human and Divine in Christ by Brian E. Daley, SJ (pp. 239-265 in vol. XXIV). Fr. Daley mentions in it that he's working on a translation of Leontius' works (which is finally being published next year, 26 years later!).
                          Yesssssssssssss, I am excited for that (...to become available at a library, because that is one prohibitive price tag)!

On the Nature of Man by Bishop Nemesius of Emesa
                          The Christian East and the Rise of the Papacy: The Church 1071-1453 A.D (Church History) by Aristeides Papadakis, John Meyendorff
                          Theodore Abu Qurrah, Trans. John C. Lamoreaux (interestingly, published by BYU)
                          I rather enjoyed Theodore Abu Qurrah. Will enjoy hearing your thoughts. "This is the theology of one who is insane."

For my part, while I take a break from The End of Protestantism, I'm reading:
                          Sermons and Discourses, 1723-1729 by Jonathan Edwards
                          Through the Eyes of the Mufti: The Essays of Haj Amin, Translated and Annotated by Zvi Elpeleg
                          The Diary of James A. Garfield, 1848-1871
                          Religious Voices in Public Places, edited by Nigel Biggar and Linda Hogan
                          Christian Oxyrhynchus: Texts, Documents, and Sources, edited by Lincoln H. Blumell
                          "The Jesus Christ who saves sinners is the same Christ who beckons his followers to serious use of their minds for serious explorations of the world." - Mark Noll

"It cannot be that the people should grow in grace unless they give themselves to reading." - John Wesley

"Wherever men are still theological, there is still some chance of their being logical." - G. K. Chesterton

Comment

I rather enjoyed Theodore Abu Qurrah. Will enjoy hearing your thoughts. "This is the theology of one who is insane."
                            He was an enjoyable read. "Mani reels like a tottering drunk. If he [inclines to this side], he falls down. If he [inclines to the other side], he also falls down." His writings could profitably be used against such varied views as atheism, Calvinism, and open theism. As usual when reading the Fathers, I copied out the best bits for future use.
                            For my part, while I take a break from The End of Protestantism, I'm reading:
                            The Diary of James A. Garfield, 1848-1871
                            Christian Oxyrhynchus: Texts, Documents, and Sources, edited by Lincoln H. Blumell
                            I might have to track these down. (weird - Amazon didn't want to admit to having the diary, but Google found it for me there)

Now reading:
                            Papyri from Hermopolis and other documents of period by B. R. Rees
                            Two Coptic homilies attributed to Saint Peter of Alexandria: On riches, On the Epiphany by Birger Albert Pearson, Tim Vivian
                            Rising Tide: The Untold Story of the Russian Submarines that Fought the Cold War by Gary E. Weir, Walter J. Boyne
                            Ambrose of Milan: The Letters (Fathers of the Church series) - reading on my Kindle when all else fails
                            Last edited by One Bad Pig; 12-08-2016, 08:44 PM.

sigpic

Comment

• I finished reading Heretics of Dune. A lot better than God Emperor of Dune. The characters were a lot stronger in this one, also. I'll probably pick up Chapterhouse Dune from the library tomorrow.

Recently bought:
                              Four Views on the Historical Adam by Denis O. Lamoureux, John H. Walton, C. John Collins, William D. Barrick, Gregory A. Boyd, and Philip G. Ryken, edited by Matthew Barrett, Ardel B. Caneday, and Stanley N. Gundry
                              Genesis: History, Fiction, or Neither?: Three Views on the Bible's Earliest Chapters by James K. Hoffmeier, Gordon J. Wenham, and Kenton L. Sparks, edited by Charles Halton, and Stanley N. Gundry
                              Three Views on Creation and Evolution by Paul Nelson, Robert C. Newman, and Howard J. Van Till, edited by Stanley N. Gundry, J. P. Moreland, and John Mark Reynolds.

Oh, and Why Are There Differences in the Gospels? by Mike Licona is on the way. I want to get Beyond Death: Exploring the Evidence for Immortality by Gary Habermas and J. P. Moreland, but it's like $50 on Amazon. I also want to get The Historical Reliability of the New Testament by Craig L. Blomberg, which is only $32, but I'll wait a bit before getting that one.

Comment

I finished reading Heretics of Dune. A lot better than God Emperor of Dune. The characters were a lot stronger in this one, also. I'll probably pick up Chapterhouse Dune from the library tomorrow.

Recently bought:
                                Four Views on the Historical Adam by Denis O. Lamoureux, John H. Walton, C. John Collins, William D. Barrick, Gregory A. Boyd, and Philip G. Ryken, edited by Matthew Barrett, Ardel B. Caneday, and Stanley N. Gundry
                                Genesis: History, Fiction, or Neither?: Three Views on the Bible's Earliest Chapters by James K. Hoffmeier, Gordon J. Wenham, and Kenton L. Sparks, edited by Charles Halton, and Stanley N. Gundry
                                Three Views on Creation and Evolution by Paul Nelson, Robert C. Newman, and Howard J. Van Till, edited by Stanley N. Gundry, J. P. Moreland, and John Mark Reynolds.

Oh, and Why Are There Differences in the Gospels? by Mike Licona is on the way. I want to get Beyond Death: Exploring the Evidence for Immortality by Gary Habermas and J. P. Moreland, but it's like $50 on Amazon. I also want to get The Historical Reliability of the New Testament by Craig L. Blomberg, which is only $32, but I'll wait a bit before getting that one.
                                These days, I'm mostly using my Amazon wish list to keep track of stuff I'd like to borrow through Inter-Library Loan, though I bought a couple books last month.

sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X