Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What art thou currently reading?

tWebber
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I've been going through a few of the easier books in the Greek New Testament, while adding to my my grammar and vocabulary knowledge with a couple of Mounce's books.

I'm also under way in an old, 1950s book called A Christian Approach to Philosophy by Warren C. Young.

Banned
    Faith
    Xtian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    IIRC Genesis 1-11 is used by every NT author, and much of the time as typology. This alone should be enough to vouch for the historicity of the events in question.
    Is the genealogy in Gen 5 used typologically?

Edit- It would be good if we could move this discussion to another thread. I don't wish to clutter this one up.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paprika View Post
    Is the genealogy in Gen 5 used typologically?

Edit- It would be good if we could move this discussion to another thread. I don't wish to clutter this one up.
    Once I get my moderator powers back I can move the relevant posts, or a new thread could be started. Of course, it will likely be taken off topic too.

ETA: I don't know if Genesis 5 is used typologically, but many other events in Genesis 1-11 are. However, Jude does take the genealogies literally, and pronounces a prophecy from Enoch who was "seventh from Adam". If a prophecy was never actually made, then Jude would contain falsehood.
    Last edited by Cerebrum123; 01-18-2014 at 01:45 PM.
    Safka, you are NOT "unknown", you were loved by many, and you will not be forgotten. I will always remember you Puginator.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm sitting on a $100 Amazon gift card right now. It's a good position to be in.
    Something is always happening, but when it happens, people don't always see it, or understand it... or accept it.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Origen's Commentary on Romans
    Craig Keener's Commentary on the Gospel of John
    Credo by Jaroslav Pelikan
    Theodoret's Ecclesiastical History
    Preparatio Evangelica and Demonstratio Evangelica by Eusebius Pamphilius (JB, you'd probably enjoy these)

Just got finished with the works of Athanasius in NPNF, James D.G.Dunn's Beginning From Jerusalem, a major David Weber binge (Honorverse), and am mostly done with a major Jack McDevitt binge.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    A friend of mine and I are reading The Pastoral Rule by Pope Gregory. I've appreciated when he discusses how mistakes are made, he talks about both extremes like talking too much or not enough. It also has reminded me that I am not called to be a pastor.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm finally reading The Liberated Gospel, A Comparison of the Gospel of Mark and Greek Tragedy, by Gilbert Bilezikian. It's one of the many books I've wanted to read over the years and never gotten around to it. He was an oft-quoted (but seldom read, I suspect) French scholar of several decades ago. I was surprised to find out that he's now relatively well known for more recently being one of the founders of the megachurch movement. The used copy I acquired happened to belong to Gilbert's brother.
    Last edited by robrecht; 01-19-2014 at 06:09 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Craig Keener's Commentary on the Gospel of John
    Some guy on Facebook today was questioning the authenticity of Keener's Christianity because he claimed to have a conversion experience that wasn't purely intellectual and because he's into historical Jesus scholarship.
    Something is always happening, but when it happens, people don't always see it, or understand it... or accept it.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Other books from my "finished" stack:

The Thirty-Nine Steps, Greenmantle, Mr. Standfast, and The Three Hostages by John Buchan (omnibus edition)
    Textual Criticism of the Old Testament: The Septuagint after Qumran by Ralph W. Klein
    Polycarp and the New Testament by Paul Hartog
    Who Chose the Gospels? Probing the Great Gospel Conspiracy by C. E. Hill
    Polycarp and Paul: An Analysis of Their Literary and Theological Relationship in Light of Polycarp's Use of Biblical and Extra-Biblical Literature by Kenneth Berding
    Worshiping with the Church Fathers by Christopher A. Hall
    The Bible Made Impossible: Why Biblicism Is Not a Truly Evangelical Reading of Scriptured by Christian Smith
    American Gospel: God, the Founding Fathers, and the Making of a Nation by Jon Meacham
    American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House by Jon Meacham
    The Holy Fire: The Story of the Fathers of the Eastern Church by Robert Payne
    Athanasius by Peter J. Leithart
    The Hockey Stick Illusion: Climategate and the Corruption of Science by A. W. Montford
    Misquoting Truth: A Guide to the Fallacies of Bart Ehrman's Misquoting Jesus by Timothy Paul Jones
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    OBP, what did you think of the Christian Smith book? It's been on my radar for awhile.