Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

What art thou currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D9CE97A0-2ADD-40E8-9C97-FECE32E266BA.jpeg

Comment

• The Last Superstition: A Refutation Of The New Atheism by Edward Feser

Comment

• Husserl by David Woodruff Smith

Holes and Other Superficialities by Roberto Casati and Achille C. Varzi (I find the idea that philosophy has a lot to say about seemingly mundane things really appealing)

Building Ontologies with Basic Formal Ontology by Robert Arp, Barry Smith, and Andrew D. Spear (good introduction to applied ontology and the philosophical issues that arise in information science)

Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison (I've gotten a bit behind on this tho)
        Last edited by picasso; 06-16-2019, 05:28 AM.

Comment

• In the Sanctuary of Outcasts: A Memoir (PS) by Neil White
          Before Jerusalem Fell: Dating the Book of Revelation by Kenneth L. Gentry
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Re-reading Lord of the Rings. I like to every five years.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              Re-reading Lord of the Rings. I like to every five years.
              Slacker. reads it EVERY year.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• X-Men and Philosophy by Rebecca Housel, ed.
                My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

• I'm currently working through A Book of Dreams by Peter Reich about his father, the psychoanalyst Wilhelm Reich, who, while working with Freud, was a very prominent and influential analyst, but over time got crazier and crazier, moving into studies on the healing properties of sex, coining and investigating the properties of a pseudoscience mystical biological energy he called "orgones" (from orgasm). These orgones are, as far as I can tell, supposed to be all around us, not just associated with sex, and to to help him study them, Wilhelm invented all sorts of peculiar instruments, like a box called an orgone accumulator, which is supposed to restore a persons natural orgones, and something called a "cloud buster" which was supposed to be used to unblock orgones in the atmosphere and when aimed at clouds make it rain (or when aimed into space, allow visiting aliens know we were here). Eventually the FDA got involved when Wilhelm would not stop selling and promoting his pseudoscience garbage, and eventually he was thrown in jail, where he predicted that he'd die, and where he did die of a heart attack.

The book is written from his son's point of view, who looked up to his father as a bit of a sage (and he was a bit of a cult leader in a sense), but you also get glimpses into his confusion as he gets older. The book combines both dream language and reality and can be kind of hard to read, but apparently Kate Bush found an copy of it at a bookstore (it came out in 73), and she was so moved by it that she wrote a song about it called Cloudbusting. The video for the song was conceived by Terry Gilliam (though someone else directed), and she plays Peter in the video while Donald Sutherland plays Peter's father Wilhelm Reich. It's a great video, and one of my favorite songs, and I've been strangely drawn to what an enigmatic madman Reich was for awhile now. I think a film about his life would be pretty trippy. Here's the video:

Last edited by Adrift; 06-19-2019, 11:27 PM.

Comment

• Paul and Gender: Reclaiming the Apostle's Vision for Men and Women in Christ by Cynthia Westfall.

Challenging read, even (especially?) for those familiar with the egalitarian / patriarchalist (complementarian) debate. Takes a different approach. Rather than focusing on just the individual passages and what they do or do not demand of women, she seeks to construct a complete Pauline theology of gender.

I was interested to observe that both of "the two Craigs" -- NT scholars Keener (egalitarian) and Blomberg (complementarian) endorsed it.
                    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• China Rich Girlfriend. I already finished Crazy Rich Asians.
                      I am become death...

Comment

• Opium by Martin Booth. A historical survey of, well, opium.

Of interest for TWeb may be the ambiguous view some missionaries took of the opium trade in their attempts to make headway into China in the 18th century.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Flannery O'Connor - The Complete Stories
                          The Place of Christ in Liturgical Prayer by Joseph Jungmann, S.J.

On deck:
                          For Thou Art With Me by Bruce Baker

sigpic

Comment

• To Everyone An Answer- Francis Beckwith

Comment

• This page.... Okay, okay, so I need to start in on my pile...
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                                This page.... Okay, okay, so I need to start in on my pile...
                                I just recently finished the project of transferring my pile to bookshelves. It took 3 1/2 full height bookshelves from Wally World to fit it all. And I suddenly have less time to read than I used to.

sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X