Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What art thou currently reading?

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    OBP, what did you think of the Christian Smith book? It's been on my radar for awhile.
    It was decent. I don't see any underlining in it, so nothing must have stood out in particular. The main thrust of the book was spot-on, as far as I can remember.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Dept. of Redundancy Dept. Cow Poke's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    http://www.amazon.com/Life-Together-.../dp/0060608528

Life Together - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Light reading

Close Range by Anne Proulx
    The Hidden Life of Dogs by Elizabeth Thomas

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Re-reading "The Jesus Quest" by Ben Witherington and "The Lays of Beleriand" by Tolkien.

Faith
    Evangelical
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Now I remember why I missed OBP.

Also now reading two more books:
    • The Mormon Hierarchy: Origins of Power by D. Michael Quinn
    • One Body: An Essay in Christian Sexual Ethics by Alexander R. Pruss
    "The Jesus Christ who saves sinners is the same Christ who beckons his followers to serious use of their minds for serious explorations of the world." - Mark Noll

"It cannot be that the people should grow in grace unless they give themselves to reading." - John Wesley

"Wherever men are still theological, there is still some chance of their being logical." - G. K. Chesterton

Faith
    Catholic Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Ahh, one of my favorite threads revived. Let's see...
    The New Testament and the People of God - N.T. Wright
    1491 - Charles Mann
    The Politics of Myth - Robert S. Ellwood
    King Lear - William Shakespeare. I saw a production of this yesterday and wanted to be acquainted with the contents. Great play and production!
    German Demystified - Ed Swick

Faith
    Evangelical
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by GioD View Post
    The New Testament and the People of God - N.T. Wright
    How's it going so far?
    "The Jesus Christ who saves sinners is the same Christ who beckons his followers to serious use of their minds for serious explorations of the world." - Mark Noll

"It cannot be that the people should grow in grace unless they give themselves to reading." - John Wesley

"Wherever men are still theological, there is still some chance of their being logical." - G. K. Chesterton

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Missed one - Ethnicity and Argument in Eusebius' Praeparatio Evangelica by Aaron P. Johnson. This one got a comment from a fellow Metro rider. It has some really good material for early Christian apologetics. Highly recommended, though it's not exactly light reading (or priced to sell ).
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Catholic Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB DoulosChristou View Post
    How's it going so far?
    It's very good - I'm almost done and I've found pretty much everything I've read in it to be interesting, well-argued and highly useful for further study and reflection. Nothing less than what I've come to expect from Wright. I especially liked the discussion of methodology and Wright's outline of the Critical-Realist stance.

Faith
    Evangelical
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Missed one - Ethnicity and Argument in Eusebius' Praeparatio Evangelica by Aaron P. Johnson. This one got a comment from a fellow Metro rider. It has some really good material for early Christian apologetics. Highly recommended, though it's not exactly light reading (or priced to sell ).
    Sounds good! And who needs to worry about price when my seminary gives me access to an eBook version from anywhere...

Quote Originally Posted by GioD View Post
    It's very good - I'm almost done and I've found pretty much everything I've read in it to be interesting, well-argued and highly useful for further study and reflection. Nothing less than what I've come to expect from Wright. I especially liked the discussion of methodology and Wright's outline of the Critical-Realist stance.
    I had many of the same thoughts when I read it. It's been a few years, so I was trying to remember the general gist. I'm sure I'll definitely have occasion to refer back to it.