Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

What art thou currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Easter Sermons of Gregory of Nyssa: Translation and Commentary, ed. Andreas Spira and Christoph Klock (just the English commentaries; though I could probably get through the German ones if I had to, it would be very slow going)
    Born to Hate Reborn to Love: A Spiritual Odyssey from Head to Heart by Klaus Kenneth
    Christians are Hate-Filled Hypocrites ...and Other Lies You've Been Told by Bradley R. E. Wright, PhD
    Gospel and Spirit: Issues in New Testament Hermeneutics by Gordon D. Fee

Still working on:
    Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl, and Sir Orfeo, Trans. J. R. R. Tolkien
    St. Silouan the Athonite by Archimandrite Sophrony
    The Ladder of Divine Ascent by St. John Climacus
    Scripture in the Jewish and Christian traditions: Authority, interpretation, relevance, ed. Frederick Greenspahn (I'm not finding this to be very helpful)
    Craig Keener's Commentary on the Gospel of John
    Theodoret's Ecclesiastical History
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Church History by Philostorgius
      Christians at Rome in the First Two Centuries: From Paul to Valentinus by Peter Lampe
      A Quest for Reform of the Orthodox Church: The 1923 Pan-Orthodox Congress - an Analysis and Translation of its Acts and Decisions by Patrick Viscuso
      The Last Temple by Hank Hanegraaff and Sigmund Brouwer
      [i]The Millennium: Christianity and Russia 988-1988, ed. Albert Leong
      Gregory of Nyssa's Treatise on the Inscriptions of the Psalms by Ronald E. Heine
      St. Gregory of Nyssa - Ascetical Works, trans. Virginia Woods Callahan

Still working on:
      St. Silouan the Athonite by Archimandrite Sophrony
      The Ladder of Divine Ascent by St. John Climacus
      Scripture in the Jewish and Christian traditions: Authority, interpretation, relevance, ed. Frederick Greenspahn (I'm not finding this to be very helpful)
      Craig Keener's Commentary on the Gospel of John
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
        Not reading anything theology related,however I am reading Homeland by Cory Doctorow.
        In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
        "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
        "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
        Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
          In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
          Set in my home state. The 1967 movie is excellent.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I'm taking a quick break from everything else I'm reading to quickly get through Craig Blomberg's Can We Still Believe The Bible?, which came out this morning. (Blomberg is going to appear on AP's podcast later this month to discuss the book.)
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I am tackling Bible memorization on Sundays and I will also be tackling the book A Handbook for Christian Maturity by Bill Bright. I also want to tackle the books The Discipline of Grace: God's Role and Our Role in the Pursuit of Holiness and The Fruitful Life: The Overflow of God's Love Through You by Jerry Bridges

Comment

I'm reading this.
                Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
                  I'm reading this.
                  Oh yeah? I'm reading THIS.

sigpic

Comment

Mark Noll - The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind

Comment

Grandson of Herod: Iesvs Nazarenvs Rex Ivdaeorvm by Joseph Raymond.

Comment

Originally posted by arnoldo View Post
                        Grandson of Herod: Iesvs Nazarenvs Rex Ivdaeorvm by Joseph Raymond.
                        Why?

sigpic

Comment

I am the heathen here I guess. I am re-reading Donna Tartt's "The Secret History"-- I love, love, love that book.
                          The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dee Dee Warren View Post
                            I am the heathen here I guess. I am re-reading Donna Tartt's "The Secret History"-- I love, love, love that book.
                            That's in my to-read stack.

sigpic

Comment

I find people either really love it or really really hate it.
                              The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                Why?
                                Mostly because I can read it for free on my kindle with my Amazon Prime membership . . . and partly because I find it interesting to learn more what some mythicists out there actually believe. Grandson of Herod: Iesvs Nazarenvs Rex Ivdaeorvm may've been inspired in part by a book written in 1946 called King Jesus by Robert Graves.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X