Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ferguson Grand Jury...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I sympathize with the grief of Brown's parents, but I can't sympathize with their denial when, for instance, his mother tearfully claims that he was a good boy who never used his size to threaten, intimidate, or hurt anyone. There's at least one shop owner and one police officer in Ferguson who would adamantly disagree.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      I sympathize with the grief of Brown's parents, but I can't sympathize with their denial when, for instance, his mother tearfully claims that he was a good boy who never used his size to threaten, intimidate, or hurt anyone. There's at least one shop owner and one police officer in Ferguson who would adamantly disagree.
      I do not understand it (probably because I haven't experienced it on such an intimate level), but I have seen it time and again -- grief can make people completely blind to the obvious and wholly unwilling to listen to reason.

I haven't bothered to learn much about Brown's mother or stepfather. I was interested, though, to watch the video CNN was playing where he was screaming at an angry crowd something along the lines of "we're going to burn this %*&^$ down!"...and the angry mob proceeded to burn several businesses. In any other context, he'd have been arrested already. I worry about the precedent they're setting from a public safety standpoint by allowing mob violence to dictate whether or not you enforce the law.
      "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

• The real tragedy is that Brown was allowed, for whatever reason, to grow up thinking he could take whatever he wanted, intimidate and physically accost smaller people (the store clerk), flaunt the law and have total disrespect for authority. It got him dead. He was on that trajectory long before his encounter with Wilson.

Yes, people do strange things when they're grieving, but it's usually something consistent with what's deep inside.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by myth View Post
          In any other context, he'd have been arrested already. I worry about the precedent they're setting from a public safety standpoint by allowing mob violence to dictate whether or not you enforce the law.
          I too sympathize with loss. But letting a major offense like this go unaddressed simply encourages similar and greater offenses in the future. This is a major part of how we got to the condition our society is in now.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by myth View Post
            I do not understand it (probably because I haven't experienced it on such an intimate level), but I have seen it time and again -- grief can make people completely blind to the obvious and wholly unwilling to listen to reason.

I haven't bothered to learn much about Brown's mother or stepfather. I was interested, though, to watch the video CNN was playing where he was screaming at an angry crowd something along the lines of "we're going to burn this %*&^$ down!"...and the angry mob proceeded to burn several businesses. In any other context, he'd have been arrested already. I worry about the precedent they're setting from a public safety standpoint by allowing mob violence to dictate whether or not you enforce the law.
            I am at least grateful that the Missouri Lieutenant Governor was talking about the possibility of indicting him. You just don't do that.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Calling for someone's death actually is partially protected by the constitution. Unless there's an imminent threat the worst that'll usually happen is a visit from the cops (and possibly Secret Services if you talk about killing the president).
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                Calling for someone's death actually is partially protected by the constitution. Unless there's an imminent threat the worst that'll usually happen is a visit from the cops (and possibly Secret Services if you talk about killing the president).
                I don't believe he was advocating murder, but was instead advocating arson and/or riot.
                "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

• So now the prosecutor is openly admitting that he allowed people to testify whom he knew were not telling the truth. Perhaps he ought to be disbarred.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mikehayes/st...ied#.ln88wA3P3
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    So now the prosecutor is openly admitting that he allowed people to testify whom he knew were not telling the truth. Perhaps he ought to be disbarred.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mikehayes/st...ied#.ln88wA3P3
                    His explanation sounds reasonable to me. Particularly in light of the fact that he never would have presented that case in the first place if it wasn't for the political pressure.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

So now the prosecutor is openly admitting that he allowed people to testify whom he knew were not telling the truth. Perhaps he ought to be disbarred.
                      Before you wish him to be disbarred, perhaps you should be agitating for the dismissal of those who pressured him to bring the case to court.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                        Before you wish him to be disbarred, perhaps you should be agitating for the dismissal of those who pressured him to bring the case to court.
                        Dismissal from what? The case of licensure to the bar is fairly clear; violation of the cited ethics code is cause for loss of one's license, apart from any occupational considerations.

Comment

Dismissal from what? The case of licensure to the bar is fairly clear; violation of the cited ethics code is cause for loss of one's license, apart from any occupational considerations.
                          Does the code apply to prosecutors? The article is unclear since it's Buzzfeed, and nobody has ever accused Buzzfeed of committing any acts of journalism.

Comment

Dismissal from what?
                            Their jobs? I'm not sure what the de jure or de facto hierarchy is like; apply my advice mutatis mutandis.

The case of licensure to the bar is fairly clear; violation of the cited ethics code is cause for loss of one's license, apart from any occupational considerations.
                            I'm pointing out that more likely than not he was used and it might be better not only to go after the small fry but those who were coercing them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                              Does the code apply to prosecutors? The article is unclear since it's Buzzfeed, and nobody has ever accused Buzzfeed of committing any acts of journalism.
                              I dunno, not sure why it wouldn't. But to be fair, stealing from Reddit so shamelessly takes at least some bravado.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                                Their jobs? I'm not sure what the de jure or de facto hierarchy is like; apply my advice mutatis mutandis.

I'm pointing out that more likely than not he was used and it might be better not only to go after the small fry but those who were coercing them.
                                No doubt he was pressured from all quarters, but it's not as if he was physically forced. Somebody in such a powerful position should be advised to show some backbone. His stated rationale of not wanting to be criticized is telling for its lack thereof.

Comment