Announcement

Collapse

Islam Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to Islam. This forum is generally for theists only, and is not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theist may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Islamic Inquisition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Islamic Inquisition

Wonderful speech in first 18 minutes: Maryam Namazie is an Iranian-born secularist and human rights activist, commentator and broadcaster. She is spokesperson for Iran Solidarity, One Law for All and the Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sivAkHdV4Q
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

I HATE it when people READ speeches!

I LOVE her cute little "air quotes".

She's really not a very good speaker -- frequently stumbling over her words, and appears to be "forcing" her "passion"

Why is she seated?

I LOVE how she does her "air quotes"

All in all, a very unimpressive atheist "preaching to the choir" against extremist religion.

Were you standing and cheering, FF, when she was sitting there reading her "speech"?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I LOVE her cute little "air quotes".
      She's really not a very good speaker -- frequently stumbling over her words, and appears to be "forcing" her "passion"
      Why is she seated?
      All in all, a very unimpressive atheist "preaching to the choir" against extremist religion.
      Were you standing and cheering, FF, when she was sitting there reading her "speech"?
      I am more interested in what she says than how she says it.
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
        I am more interested in what she says than how she says it.
        Did I mention I hate it when people READ speeches?

But I love her little "air quotes".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Did I mention I hate it when people READ speeches?
          But I love her little "air quotes".
          Yeah, I got it.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
            Yeah, I got it.
            I mean, seriously.... she READ her speech, and quite dispassionately. But I thought her "air quotes" were really cute!

Comment

As much as I love her little "air quotes", they could use some improvement. She uses the "single quote" air quote instead of the actual "double quote" air quote.

air quotes.JPG

Comment

I did not see all of it...but would like to comment on a few points she made.....

Secularism is Universal value---No it is not
                The notion of separation of Church and State developed because of the particular historical trajectory of Europe/West and is a European/Western phenomenon---not universal. To forcefully impose it among non-western people who do not "believe" in secularism because they have a different historical experience, is wrong, unjust, and oppressive.

Enlightenment brought Restraints---No it did not
                Some human beings will be violent, no matter what ideology they hold. The French revolution was bloody---for example, the Guillotine. In the American struggle for Independence, George Washington is often portrayed as an "Enlightenment figure" and/or Deist, yet, he was brutal---known as "Indian Killer" during the French and Indian wars. The wars, proxy wars, and black ops aimed at maintaining the "American Empire" today shows clearly that human behavior does not change simply because one changes the label of ones ideology.

Enlightenment brought Equality---No it did not
                It brought injustice, oppression, and exploitation to non-western lands---Instead of using "Christianity" as justification, the West used other labels/terms such as "freedom/democracy" to steal land and/or resources from others in order to satiate their greed.

Islamism=Islam---Not quite.
                What is Islam is more or less clear (5 pillars...and all that....) what is "Islamism" varies a lot. "Islamists" or at least some groups referred to as "Islamists", started out as social justice movements that brought social welfare programs to the needy, the poor, and others in society. The "secular" states had failed to provide for the needs of the people (because of corruption and Western influence) and these "Islamists" filled that vacuum. (They themselves did not do well when they eventually came to power)

Islam and Justice---Islam/Quran calls for a society that permeates with ethical-moral principles at all levels. This means that ethical governance is important. An ethical government system should be based on values such as transparency, distribution of power, justice and the idea that all humanity is of equivalent value (Islamic Equality). Therefore to take "deen"(way of life/law) out of politics is to take ethico-moral principles out of Governance. Ethical Governance is about balance/harmony so that appropriate restraints might reduce abuse of power and privilege. In Islamic thought, this restraint (is supposed to ) comes in the form of Sharia (law/Justice---based on ethico-moral principles).

Comment

NOBODY expects the Islamic Inquisition!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X