Announcement

Collapse

Fraternity Guidelines

This is a guy's only forum. No girls allowed. Male bonding time.

In here we can leave the seat up, drink from the carton and talk about manly things without fear of the ladies butting in. You know how they can be.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Beards, moustaches, and whatever else.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I moved to the Alaskan bush I grew a beard because it was too hard to shave with no running water and no electricity. After I moved into to town I did finally shave it off. It was too scraggly to please me, or be attractive. I did keep the mustache, which morphed over the years to what I have now.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I sometimes grow a beard and mustache, but since I can't grow it too much for now, I keep it trimmed not unlike Tony Stark.

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
      I think it would actually be easier to just shave my whole face, rather than try to keep the edges of the beard smooth and uniform, but I prefer the way I look with the beard.
      These are basically my thoughts about it. I actually think I shave as often with the beard as without it, because I don't really like my look with it more grown than a little.
      We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
      - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
      In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
      Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Comment

Then there is this:

AxShave_480x340.jpg
        We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
        - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
        In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
        Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Comment

When I lived in the bush I kept my axe sharp enough, but I did not shave at all so . . .
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I do have some beard. Not as cool as I wanted it to be, but, eh, enough for me.

Comment

FINALLY. Work policy has been suspended for "No Shave November", and for once in my life get to see how like having a beard. I'm probably way more excited than I should be, given the lack of awesomeness that is by beard so far. We'll see.
              "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

I'm sponsoring my son-in-law who is a Lt with the local PD - our guys love this!
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Oh yeah. There are guys in their mid to late 40s who've literally never grown a beard because of work. Guys who couldn't or just didn't when they were younger, then started in the field in their early 20s and haven't been allowed to grow a beard since. I suspect that this charity-beard thing is actually a test drive for a permanent policy change. There's been a significant push for it for several years now...and earlier this year one of our biggest competitor agencies (for hiring) changed their beard and tattoo policy to be MUCH more permissive.
                  "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
                    Oh yeah. There are guys in their mid to late 40s who've literally never grown a beard because of work. Guys who couldn't or just didn't when they were younger, then started in the field in their early 20s and haven't been allowed to grow a beard since. I suspect that this charity-beard thing is actually a test drive for a permanent policy change. There's been a significant push for it for several years now...and earlier this year one of our biggest competitor agencies (for hiring) changed their beard and tattoo policy to be MUCH more permissive.
                    So, the only solid case I've ever heard for first responders not wearing facial hair was for fire fighters and rescue personnel not having a good seal on their face masks for Scott packs. Anything new on that?

And as long as the beard or facial hair is not wild and wooley, it can appear "uniform".
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      So, the only solid case I've ever heard for first responders not wearing facial hair was for fire fighters and rescue personnel not having a good seal on their face masks for Scott packs. Anything new on that?

And as long as the beard or facial hair is not wild and wooley, it can appear "uniform".
                      I haven't tried it on a CBRNE mask yet, but I think the consensus is that it really only starts to interfere with a good seal when the beard gets too long. I imagine that if you keep the length pretty short and groom/trim around the neckline and sideburns it won't matter.

Granted, someone like a firefighter who wears a mask very frequently may care a lot more about exactly how good the seal on a mask holds. Someone like me....I've only ever worn the CBRNE mask in order to do the fit testing. I have borrowed airpacks from the FD everyone once in a while for bad decomp death cases in a confined space, but that's more about keeping the smell out than anything that's likely to hurt me by breathing in.

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
                        I haven't tried it on a CBRNE mask yet, but I think the consensus is that it really only starts to interfere with a good seal when the beard gets too long. I imagine that if you keep the length pretty short and groom/trim around the neckline and sideburns it won't matter.

Granted, someone like a firefighter who wears a mask very frequently may care a lot more about exactly how good the seal on a mask holds. Someone like me....I've only ever worn the CBRNE mask in order to do the fit testing. I have borrowed airpacks from the FD everyone once in a while for bad decomp death cases in a confined space, but that's more about keeping the smell out than anything that's likely to hurt me by breathing in.
                        Yeah, and I just heard from a friend who's a firefighter that the more modern masks are pretty much "positive pressure", so it's more a matter of "good air" leaking out than "bad air" sucking in.

So, yeah, probably only in the case of a "wild beard" in a truly hazmat environment...

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X