Announcement

Collapse

Fraternity Guidelines

This is a guy's only forum. No girls allowed. Male bonding time.

In here we can leave the seat up, drink from the carton and talk about manly things without fear of the ladies butting in. You know how they can be.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Beards, moustaches, and whatever else.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beards, moustaches, and whatever else.

For those of you who have or had facial hair. What's your experience?
    "Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
    -Marcus Aurelius

God made some perfect faces, and others He covered up with hair.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I grew some facial hair for no-shave November last year; I kept a goatee come December because it had grown on me (ha), then shaved it in March once I finally realized that it hadn't grown on anybody else (double ha).

... actually, the main reason I held off on shaving it all off was that I hadn't thought of a good joke to tell about it, so this all says a lot more about my sense of humor than my opinion of facial hair.
      Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

I've only shaved my moustache off once in 30 years. Had the goatee since 2008
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I tried growing a beard this last summer. After several days of not shaving, I didn't like how it looked, and neither did Cath... so that attempted ended almost before it started.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

A lot of beards don't look that good after a few days. If you decide to try again go for several weeks before deciding whether to keep it or not.
            "Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
            -Marcus Aurelius

Comment

In my experience. Some folks tend to become uneasy of sorts, which I think has to do that some styles of beards tend to project a "menacing air" of sorts as some people around me commented (Some even began to say I looked an awful lot like a Drug Dealer, heheheheheheh). But on the other hand, at least in team management situations, folks tended to be a lot more responsive and surprisingly efficient, a big change when I was shaved.

If you adjust your clothing and hairstyle properly along with your beard, along with your mannerisms, I can say that the beard has the odd effect of actually augmenting a commanding presence amongst folks.
              Ladino, Guatemalan, Hispanic, and Latin, but foremostly, Christian.
              As of the 1st of December, 2020, officially anointed as this:

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559

Comment

Originally posted by T-Shirt Ninja View Post
                For those of you who have or had facial hair. What's your experience?
                I grew a moustache solely because it was just less area to shave. Since then I let it turn into a semi-goatee (I keep it very short though I let the moustache grow longer) for the very same reason.

I never said I wasn't lazy.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Allie's wanted me to observe no-shave November. I don't care for it really, but if it gets Allie to kiss me more, I can live with that.

Comment

Beards, beards, bearded

Beards, beards, bearded,
                    From fuzzy wuzzies to long tiered and swirled.
                    Some whacked and hacked
                    Others seared, sheered and weirded.

Beards, beards, bearded,
                    From trimmed and thinned to long flowing locks,
                    Some braided, beaded and bowed,
                    Others bushed, whorled and curled.

Beards, beards, bearded,
                    Some handle barred or bull horned.
                    Others side burned or goat teed,
                    Some braided, bowed and beaded.

The Orange Dog Poet of Hillsborough, NC
                    Frank A. Doonan
                    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

I began a beard when I moved into the Alaskan bush in 1969. Living without hot water, without running water period, shaving was not worth the effort. My beard never looked like what I wanted - way too scraggly. Around 5 years later I took off all but the mustache, having moved into town and met Christ.

This was about as good as it ever got. I don't seem to find a very good shot.

1972 Fishwheel.jpg

What I have now grew from a dislike of shaving the underside of the mustache, and there you go.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I've had a few different looks. I used to sport a chin strap. Later I had a goatee on my chin that I kept relatively short (medical field reasons). Now I have a full beard about two and a half inches long and I love it. I have to do a lot more to maintain it like trimming and oiling but it's worth it.
                        -Marcus Aurelius

Comment

I've had a moustache for most of my life. Had a goatee on and off as well as full beards. Shaved all but the moustache because of the gray. Just don't like how all that gray looks...
                          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Hey, gray is good.

Proverbs 16:31

Gray hair is a crown of glory;
                            it is gained in a righteous life.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I've been growing out a beard and mustache since last September. Not my first beard, but the first time I've let it grown this long. I love not shaving. Hate that I get food in it when I eat, and its kinda uncomfortable to sleep on sometimes.

Not sure how long I'm planning on letting it go. There's a local guy who sells beard oil and wax. I've tried the beard oil, and its pretty cool. Has a nice smell, and makes it a lot softer. The oil gets absorbed into the beard pretty quick, so its not greasy or anything. I like using it. Reminds me of Psalm 133:2 It is like precious oil poured on the head, running down on the beard, running down on Aaron's beard, down on the collar of his robe. I don't use enough to run down my robe though.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X