Announcement

Collapse

Fraternity Guidelines

This is a guy's only forum. No girls allowed. Male bonding time.

In here we can leave the seat up, drink from the carton and talk about manly things without fear of the ladies butting in. You know how they can be.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Beards, moustaches, and whatever else.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    ... Hate that I get food in it when I eat
    Which is why I usually keep my goatee trimmed close. Plus, mine likes to curl toward my mouth, so it gets in my mouth when I eat. Irritating to no end!!
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I grew a mustache as soon as I was allowed after joining the Navy because I didn't like shaving my upper lip. I added a goatee after I left the service, then shaved it off when I graduated from college. I let it grow back a couple years later, and have had one since. I decided I didn't like having a mustache any more a couple years ago, and shaved it off.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        Which is why I usually keep my goatee trimmed close. Plus, mine likes to curl toward my mouth, so it gets in my mouth when I eat. Irritating to no end!!
        I'm trying to grow the mustache long enough so that I can wax it away from my mouth altogether. Old timey like.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          I grew a mustache as soon as I was allowed after joining the Navy because I didn't like shaving my upper lip. I added a goatee after I left the service, then shaved it off when I graduated from college. I let it grow back a couple years later, and have had one since. I decided I didn't like having a mustache any more a couple years ago, and shaved it off.
          I think its interesting how the goatee became so popular. I don't remember anyone in the 80s ever wearing a goatee. It didn't seem to become popular until the 90s Grunge thing became big. I assumed the Grunge Seattle bands were doing it as a sort of homage to 1950s Beatniks. Going for that Maynard G Krebs look and all that. Somehow the Grunge look cross-pollinated into other music cultures, so's that by the mid to late 90s even country music pop stars were wearing the goatee. It went from being pretty much non-existent to like the facial hair style in the US in the span of a decade.

I'm beginning to see something like that with beards now too. When I started growing mine out earlier this fall, I didn't realize how popular it had become. But once I did, I noticed that a lot of people are growing them now. I can't help but think that part of that has to do with that reality show Duck Dynasty (I've never seen it, but hear that all the people in it have beards). And there's another reality show, I think its called Garage Monkey, or something, and one of the guys there has a really long beard too (which I think is pretty epic looking). Kind of weird how these things go in phases. Wondering if long sideburns and the mullet will come back into fashion anytime soon.

Comment

Wondering if long sideburns and the mullet will come back into fashion anytime soon.
            NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I have long sideburns. I can't pull off a mullet because I started balding at 16.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                I have long sideburns. I can't pull off a mullet because I started balding at 16.
                That never stopped this guy

Hulk-Hogan-2.jpg

Comment

That never stopped this guy

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3031[/ATTACH]
                  That should be illegal.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    That should be illegal.
                    Lemme tell you something brother... When the 24 inch pythons wrap around you, it'll be over. So What cha gonna do when Hulkamania runs wild on you...?
                    That's what
                    - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I have had a mustache since I was in my 20's. Mostly to look older since I have always had a baby face. I was carded (even with my stache) into my 30's. I have had a goatee on and off. But I have had one for the last 8 years or so other than shaving it off once in a while, then deciding to grow it right back.

Starting to go gray now.

Comment

I think its interesting how the goatee became so popular. I don't remember anyone in the 80s ever wearing a goatee. It didn't seem to become popular until the 90s Grunge thing became big. I assumed the Grunge Seattle bands were doing it as a sort of homage to 1950s Beatniks. Going for that Maynard G Krebs look and all that. Somehow the Grunge look cross-pollinated into other music cultures, so's that by the mid to late 90s even country music pop stars were wearing the goatee. It went from being pretty much non-existent to like the facial hair style in the US in the span of a decade.

I'm beginning to see something like that with beards now too. When I started growing mine out earlier this fall, I didn't realize how popular it had become. But once I did, I noticed that a lot of people are growing them now. I can't help but think that part of that has to do with that reality show Duck Dynasty (I've never seen it, but hear that all the people in it have beards). And there's another reality show, I think its called Garage Monkey, or something, and one of the guys there has a really long beard too (which I think is pretty epic looking). Kind of weird how these things go in phases. Wondering if long sideburns and the mullet will come back into fashion anytime soon.
                        Beards have always (at least for the last 45 years since I arrived) been common in Alaska. Probably in part harkening back to the early days, and lots (well not by outside standards) live where it is not so easy to deal with shaving.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                          Beards have always (at least for the last 45 years since I arrived) been common in Alaska. Probably in part harkening back to the early days, and lots (well not by outside standards) live where it is not so easy to deal with shaving.
                          Yeah. Seems like the Alaskan frontiersman way. Probably has a lot to do with the cold too I imagine.

Comment

I can't grow a beard. Does that mean I'm not allowed to post in here?

But I totally would if I could. I just can't.
                            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                              I can't grow a beard. Does that mean I'm not allowed to post in here?

But I totally would if I could. I just can't.
                              Can you grow anything? If so, maybe you could do like a beard comb over.

Comment

Can you grow anything? If so, maybe you could do like a beard comb over.
                                I can, but...no. I don't think so, no. If a man can't grow a beard, he should just accept it and move on with his life, even if it's difficult.
                                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X