Announcement

Collapse

Fraternity Guidelines

This is a guy's only forum. No girls allowed. Male bonding time.

In here we can leave the seat up, drink from the carton and talk about manly things without fear of the ladies butting in. You know how they can be.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Beards, moustaches, and whatever else.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    Beards have always (at least for the last 45 years since I arrived) been common in Alaska. Probably in part harkening back to the early days, and lots (well not by outside standards) live where it is not so easy to deal with shaving.
    Plus it makes a great place to store leftovers.

Comment

i think that every man should have a beard, obligatory. Some time ago I was thinking about establishing some kind of 'Bearded Men Club' on my University.

That is, when I'm going to be able to grow a proper beard myself.

Ah... dreams, dreams.

Comment

some women are pretty good at growing beards too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Comment

Fortunately for me, I'm pretty adept at growing a beard. So much so that, left unshaven for a couple of months makes me look like I could be my fiancé's dad. Yet, if I shave, I look like I'm in high school. So, I need to maintain a balance in the force, so to speak, and keep a neatly trimmed semi-jawline cut, as can be observed in my photo.

Comment

nice beard.

Comment

kathy-bates-bearded-lady-american-horror-story.jpg Golden-Globes-2015-Bearded-Lady-Conchita-Wurst-Walks-the-Red-Carpet-Gallery-469692-6.jpg
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

nice beard.
                  Thanks! :D

Comment

Last few years I've taken to a beard for winter. I'm not sure it works at its intended purpose: to keep the face warm in winter. It does work in the laziness department though.

Only really annoying when it is cold, and blowing snow, and I get icicles.
                    No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Comment

I'd like to have a beard, but I can't because of work.

The only plans I have for retirement so far: grow a beard.
                      "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
                        I'd like to have a beard, but I can't because of work.

The only plans I have for retirement so far: grow a beard.
                        Do they also prohibit mustaches?
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          Do they also prohibit mustaches?
                          I'm suspicious of a mustache by itself. It has to be done right, or it tends to look kind of creepy and weird. A big walrus mustache, btw, is definitely done right.

Edit: depending on the guy wearing it, of course. Assuming I could grow a walrus mustache...it wouldn't work on me at all.
                          Last edited by Zymologist; 02-25-2015, 09:12 AM.
                          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                            I'm suspicious of a mustache by itself. It has to be done right, or it tends to look kind of creepy and weird. A big walrus mustache, btw, is definitely done right.

Edit: depending on the guy wearing it, of course. Assuming I could grow a walrus mustache...it wouldn't work on me at all.
                            Yeah, I agree with this. When I was a kid, I wanted a mustache-but-no-beard combo, but I think that was just because I wanted to be like my dad. I don't think everyone can pull it off.
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post

My dad has one like Sam Eliot. It might need a certain personality, though (which both Sam Eliot and my dad certainly have).

ETA:

Actually, I'll just amend to say that a solo mustache depends very strongly on personality. Tom Selleck pulls his off well but it's not something most could do.
                              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                                My dad has one like Sam Eliot. It might need a certain personality, though (which both Sam Eliot and my dad certainly have).

ETA:

Actually, I'll just amend to say that a solo mustache depends very strongly on personality. Tom Selleck pulls his off well but it's not something most could do.
                                They can both pull off the mustache. Also John L. Sullivan (my avatar).
                                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X