Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Biblical arguments against the existence of angels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    As for the necessity of angels: I think one possible way of thinking about it is that the holiness of God would suggest that it may be more appropriate for intermediaries to do much of God's work here on Earth. This is of course all speculative.
    Isn't that what Prophets are for?
    O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

A neat video of dead languages!

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      If God is utterly transcendent and ineffable, then He cannot work directly with the physical creation without contradicting those attributes. As immaterial creatures, angels would be necessary go-betweens used by God to communicate with and affect creation (at least before the Incarnation). This is what I vaguely understand to be the Middle Platonist/Neo-Platonist conception of God, which was appropriated by early Christian philosophers to describe God (although only the Father was considered completely transcendent; we can only know the Father through what has been revealed by the Son and the Spirit).
      But the Spirit is constantly at work invisibly anyway.
      O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        Strictly speaking, yes, but when this is in the context of what seems to be a somewhat emotional difficulty in grasping a concept, it's helpful to address it on its own terms.
        When I say, "I don't like the idea of angels," I don't mean that it upsets me. I mean it causes me confusion. It's something that just seems like it should not be for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelp(p) View Post
          Isn't that what Prophets are for?
          Angels do more than prophesy.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Yes, and Prophets beat people up. God can also empower any number of other people for His purposes.

Comment

I suppose when it comes down to it, at least for me, the idea that it is something that "should not be" simply reminds me that our ways are not God's ways. Obviously I know such an answer is never satisfying but I am at a loss for anything else to say.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

It's alright. So am I...

Comment

But the Spirit is constantly at work invisibly anyway.
                  But the Spirit is, um, spirit. Angels tend to be used by God for face-to-face communication, as it were.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    But the Spirit is, um, spirit. Angels tend to be used by God for face-to-face communication, as it were.
                    And I often say, tongue in cheek, that they go to Angel School to learn that they can be awfully frightening, so they're taught to say things when interacting with humans like "Fear not....."
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I agree. It is quite irrational to worship an angel. But people are dumb and fallible. From a practical standpoint, it would be nice to clear away as many potential distractions as possible.

Besides, angels are completely superfluous. God doesn't need them for anything and He already has human beings to worship Him.
                      ## Creatures, all of them, of all kinds, are superfluous. What creatures does God need ? Not a single one. STM it would make much more sense not to have created man, if one has to choose.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

... and shows like "touched by an angel", "heaven can wait", hymnology, bad preaching, bad teaching...

(and, as much as I hate to admit it, my favorite movie - It's a Wonderful Life )
                        ## "It's a Wonderful Life", is dreck - it has to take some of the blame for the sentimentalising of Christianity.

"Modern infatuation with angels is based on imagery that is far removed from Psalm 103’s depiction of angels as “mighty ones who do his bidding.” With the loss of knowledge and respect for scriptures has come a greatly demeaned understanding spiritual realities, especially those concerned with supernatural occurrences. And Lewis is more concerned about the danger of a wrong conception of angels than about obliviousness to them. He speaks about this in his Preface to The Screwtape Letters:

"[A] belief in angels, whether good or evil, does not mean a belief in either as they are represented in art and literature. . . . They are given wings . . . in order to suggest the swiftness of unimpeded intellectual energy. They are given human form because man is the only rational creature we know. Creatures higher in the natural order than ourselves, either incorporeal or animating bodies of a sort we cannot experience, must be represented symbolically if they are to be represented at all. . . .

In the plastic arts these symbols have steadily degenerated. Fra Angelico’s angels carry in their face and gesture the peace and authority of heaven. Later come the chubby infantile nudes of Raphael; finally the soft, slim, girlish and consolatory angels of nineteenth-century art. . . They are a pernicious symbol. In Scripture the visitation of an angel is always alarming; it has to begin by saying “Fear not.” The Victorian angel looks as if it were going to say “There, there.”"

https://www.cslewis.com/blog/mighty-ones-who-do-his-bidding/

## Angels these days are not holy, and they are not numinous - they are (very indifferent) people-with-wings, at best. An Assyrian *karibu*-"demon" with bird's beak & four wings is more like the Biblical angel than the wretched things so common in the media. The Liturgies, prayers & hymns of the Church are a much needed corrective to such pernicious trash.

Comment

http://www.tektonics.org/jesusclaims/trinitydefense.php

Dunn puts it succinctly: "What pre-Christian Judaism said of Wisdom and Philo also of the Logos, Paul and the others say of Jesus. The role that Proverbs, ben Sira, etc. ascribe to Wisdom, these earliest Christians ascribe to Jesus." [James D. G. Dunn, Christology in the Making, 167] This conception of Wisdom parallels a less significant, general Jewish explanation of how a transcendent God could participate in a temporal creation. The Aramaic Targums resolved this problem by equating God with His Word; thus, in the Targums, Exodus 19:17, rather than saying the people went out to meet God, it says that the people went out to meet the word of God, or Memra.

This term became a periphrasis for God; whether it could have been reckoned as a separate person, as in Christian Trinitarianism, is a matter of debate. The risk involved with making Wisdom/Word an independent deity was too great for the rabbis to speculate further, but Christians found in the Wisdom tradition an ideal categorical conception within which to place the person of Jesus.

http://taylormarshall.com/2015/01/is...te-christ.html

The Church Fathers held an unwavering belief that the Second Person of the Trinity appeared frequently in the Old Testament in a variety of forms: the Angel of the Lord, the Burning Bush, the Son of Man, and the one like a Son of God in Daniel.

Since no one could see or hear God and live, all instance of conversation between God and man are examples of God assuming a form that made Him non lethal.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X