Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Telford Work on denominationalism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telford Work on denominationalism

I liked this article; reading it gave me an "aha" moment and an understanding that my continual search for the "ideal" denomination or division within Christianity was really a waste of time.

http://www.westmont.edu/~work/articl...ruechurch.html
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

That was excellent, and total captured my struggle as well.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
    "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
    Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Well, this seemed really obvious. What's the point of making an orthodox/heterodox distinction if you further reject some orthodox because of imperfect beliefs and reject their denomination because of it? (Does that make sense? Because to me the whole point of orthodoxy is being able to agree with each other on the basics if not the secondaries and therefore denominations are mostly just which club you get along with best.)

Question from the article though:
      "It resists the smug exclusivism of any one position -- Roman Catholic (and Eastern Orthodox), Magisterial Protestant, and "Pentecostal" (Free Church)"
      What does "Magisterial Protestant" and "'Pentecostal' (Free Church}" mean?
      Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

I believe that well sums up why I felt as if I was an inbetweener, once I left the RCC.
        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          I liked this article; reading it gave me an "aha" moment and an understanding that my continual search for the "ideal" denomination or division within Christianity was really a waste of time.

http://www.westmont.edu/~work/articl...ruechurch.html
          Eh, the article smacks of fatalistic relativism IMO. Nobody's entirely right, so muddle along where you are as best you can? On the other hand, we should "fruits-test" - not that we should test the fruits of the church, but how we can use our fruits there! He says that he belongs to the One True Church in the title, but in the body of the article claims he doesn't, because there is no One True Church. I'm getting a "wants to have cake and eat it" vibe, overall.

I am perhaps an unusual convert to Orthodoxy in that I was not looking for another church due to dissatisfaction with my current one. I sought to be a part of the church closest to that of the NT, whether it was in my current church or not. And given my aversion to visiting strangers by my lonesome, it took a metaphorical clue-by-four to get me to switch. The Orthodox Church does not claim to be the true church by pointing at others by way of negation, but by pointing at its past.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
            Question from the article though:

What does "Magisterial Protestant" and "'Pentecostal' (Free Church}" mean?
            "Magisterial Protestant" refers to those denominations that got their start during the Reformation. As far as I can tell, "'Pentecostal' (Free Church)" is a conflation of two distinct groups. The Evangelical Free Church is not generally Pentecostal (though individual congregations might be; there is quite a bit of freedom left to the individual congregation - I went to college with some EFC folks).
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
              I believe that well sums up why I felt as if I was an inbetweener, once I left the RCC.
              If you don't mind sharing, what caused you to leave?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                Eh, the article smacks of fatalistic relativism IMO. Nobody's entirely right, so muddle along where you are as best you can? On the other hand, we should "fruits-test" - not that we should test the fruits of the church, but how we can use our fruits there!
                No one's entirely right, so we must work towards unity while taking seriously the various types of differences. "fruits-test" could have been better expressed but in context it substitutes screening using doctrinal minutiae as a determinant for which local gathering to be part of.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                  No one's entirely right, so we must work towards unity while taking seriously the various types of differences. "fruits-test" could have been better expressed but in context it substitutes screening using doctrinal minutiae as a determinant for which local gathering to be part of.
                  Better expressed? He's testing himself, not the church! And doctrine is not unimportant; the problem with Protestants using doctrine as a determinant is that there's no yard-stick.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Better expressed? He's testing himself, not the church! And doctrine is not unimportant; the problem with Protestants using doctrine as a determinant is that there's no yard-stick.
                    Rather than looking for one true denomination or local church, I have started simply discerning where God wants my family and me. Frustration turned to relief as my criterion went from doctrinal blackballing to fruits-testing: Where among God's divided people can we bear the fruit of the Holy Spirit and best exercise our spiritual gifts? As a worshiper and teaching pastor, where can I take joy in the holiness of my own tradition, and lead others to appreciate the holiness of Christ's traditions around us?
                    He's testing, so as to speak, the fruit he would bear in that soil, which is also a test of the soil. It's not an either/or, nor as simplistic as you would perceive it to be.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X