Announcement

Collapse

Anthropology 201 Guidelines

Anthropology is the study of groups of people, their beliefs, practices, values, ideas, technologies, languages, economies and more.

All are welcome to post in this section, even Geico Cavemen.

A couple of caveats-- (1) racism has no place in this forum, and (2) please show a little discretion. In other words, if an attachment violates policy on the rest of TWEB, it violates policy in this forum as well, even if it depicts a highly interesting and unique aspect of some obscure culture. Keep it reasonably clean, folks.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Oldest engraving on shell - Homo erectus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oldest engraving on shell - Homo erectus

World’s Oldest Engraving Upends Theory of Homo sapiens Uniqueness
    Source: http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/2014/12/03/worlds-oldest-engraving-upends-theory-of-homo-sapiens-uniqueness/

It is getting harder and harder to figure out what distinguished Homo sapiens from other members of the human family and fueled our extraordinary success as a species. One popular notion holds that our propensity for symbolic thought, which underlies language, was key. For a long time, experts thought this capacity first emerged around 40,000 years ago in early Europeans, based on the seemingly sudden appearance of things like cave art and jewelry in the archaeological record there. But over the past two decades older evidence of art and body decoration, as well as other sophisticated practices, such as complex tool manufacture, have turned up at H. sapiens sites in the Near East and in Africa, where our species got its start. Furthermore, scientists have found evidence that our cousins the Neandertals were similarly capable in many respects.

Now comes news that an even older, more primitive human ancestor—Homo erectus from Asia—showed signs of symbolic thought, too. Researchers have discovered a shell engraved with a geometric pattern at a H. erectus site known as Trinil, on the Indonesian island of Java, that dates to between 540,000 and 430,000 years ago. The find is at least 300,000 years older than the oldest previously known engravings, which come from South Africa.

Detail of shell engraved by Homo erectus at Trinil
    GEOMETRIC DESIGN engraved on this mussel shell is 300,000 years older than engravings from South Africa that were previously thought to be the oldest. Image: Wim Lustenhouwer, VU University Amsterdam

Analysis of the engraving, made on a freshwater mussel shell, suggests that its maker used a shark tooth or other hard, pointed object to create the zigzag design. “The engraving was probably made on a fresh shell specimen still retaining its brown [skin], which would have produced a striking pattern of white lines on a dark ‘canvas,’” Josephine C. A. Joordens of Leiden University in the Netherlands and her colleagues surmise in their report, published online December 3 by Nature. (Scientific American is part of Nature Publishing Group.)

Other shells from the site reveal that H. erectus opened them to eat their contents. And one specimen exhibits clear signs of having been modified to create a tool for cutting or scraping. It is the earliest known example of shell used as a raw material for tool manufacture, the authors say, and it may explain the lack of stone artifacts from this time period in Java: perhaps in the absence of good sources of stone suitable for making implements, H. erectus turned to shell instead.

It’s wild to think of H. erectus foraging for mollusks along an ancient riverbank, making shell knives and painstakingly decorating shells with designs half a million years ago. But perhaps the most thrilling aspects of this find are that it suggests that many more such items—300,000 years’ worth, in fact–are out there awaiting discovery, and it raises the question of just how much farther back in the human lineage such behaviors might have originated.

© Copyright Original Source

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...ns-uniqueness/
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

This actually does not surprise me, because Homo erectus was a very skilled and sophisticated tool maker, more to follow . . .
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-04-2014, 04:53 PM.
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by HabteDemsas
      Homo erectus on Java was already using shells of freshwater mussels as tools half a million years ago, and as a 'canvas' for an engraving. An international team of researchers, led by Leiden archaeologist Jose Joordens, published this discovery on 3 December in Nature. The discovery provides new insights into the evolution of human behavior.
      I belief this is a report of the same discovery.

Frank

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X