Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

State of the Union - Climate change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
    energy return on energy invested? For such estimates, why don't you yourself search?

Ceaseless hammering, or if you will, harping, on a point is trollish behavior.
    Not trollish at all. EROEI is the most important factor in evaluating an energy source. It's not the same as thermal efficiency.

And as you believe that SynGas is carbon-neutral you should be on "my side" in promoting an energy future where fossil fuels are obsolete instead of harping on AGW. Again, the former is an easier sell to the public and accomplishes basically the same goals.

I'll "harp" on this as long as it takes to sink in.

Comment

• It's called sun gas and I am not going to harp on that point after this post.

I am skeptical that even if AGW by pumping CO2 into the air is real we could do much to stop climate change. For example, suppose the energy sector becomes say 70% solar (including solar heat and sun gas), 25% nuclear, and 5% other technologies, I don't think that would lead to unchanging climate. Heavens, the sun's output may change in such a way that we enter a mini Ice Age. Then would not you rue your pushing us to adopt policies meant to deter GW or ameliorate its effects?
      The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

• It's also called "SynGas". And there are problems with metallic resources, and land use, and sheer volume.

For a "Truthseeker" you seem to have little to no interest in seeking the truth or thinking past the end of your nose. Also a "truth" seeker would not be so dismissive of the potential dangers of AGW nor miss my entire point that an alternative energy future will be required regardless of whether AGW is occurring and even if GW or GC is inevitable and human culture has no effect on it. And no one implied an unchanging climate in any scenario.

http://discover.umn.edu/news/science...rated-sunlight

Comment

• Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
          It's also called "SynGas". And there are problems with metallic resources, and land use, and sheer volume.

For a "Truthseeker" you seem to have little to no interest in seeking the truth or thinking past the end of your nose. Also a "truth" seeker would not be so dismissive of the potential dangers of AGW nor miss my entire point that an alternative energy future will be required regardless of whether AGW is occurring and even if GW or GC is inevitable and human culture has no effect on it. And no one implied an unchanging climate in any scenario.

http://discover.umn.edu/news/science...rated-sunlight
          Seems to me that having the sungas plants over every part of the world to create fuel would probably do a pretty good job with heat pollution on it's own, what with the heat for "3000 suns" being needed for each plant and the plants being required to cover a large portion of the world just to keep up with fuel consumption.

Comment

• It's not like a solar concentrator suddenly creates 2,999 suns in the sky when it's installed. Oh, maybe you were kidding? If not, I suppose it might be warm near a concentrator plant, but there would be a fence around each plant, at least there ought to be.
            The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

It's not like a solar concentrator suddenly creates 2,999 suns in the sky when it's installed. Oh, maybe you were kidding? If not, I suppose it might be warm near a concentrator plant, but there would be a fence around each plant, at least there ought to be.
              You were talking about building enough plants that equalled all of the road space in the USA, Heat has to go somewhere. That's a lot of heaters out there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                You were talking about building enough plants that equalled all of the road space in the USA, Heat has to go somewhere. That's a lot of heaters out there.
                That's like arguing all the cars zooming around getting their engines too hot to touch makes the GLOBAL average temperature zoom into the stratosphere. So we don't get all the snow and ice that blanketed us a while ago.

Comment

That's like arguing all the cars zooming around getting their engines too hot to touch makes the GLOBAL average temperature zoom into the stratosphere. So we don't get all the snow and ice that blanketed us a while ago.
                  Stratosphere? Literally or Figuratively?

Comment

You really don't understand anything about science do you?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      You really don't understand anything about science do you?
                      Do you understand the first sentence in this Wikipedia entry? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat

Comment

Do you understand the first sentence in this Wikipedia entry? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat
                        sure do. Apparently you don't though.

Comment

• I started this thread because I think some readers would appreciate having the choice of not following my debate, this one, with Sparko http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...ll=1#post32671

Comment

I started this thread because I think some readers would appreciate having the choice of not following my debate, this one, with Sparko http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...ll=1#post32671
                            A debate that would be fruitless due incomplete data. Concentrate on teaching the public about the energy future instead of the gloom-and-doom of AGW. Same results, easier sell. Very simple. And that's the Truth, Seekers.

Comment

• The El Nino now rising is expected to be in the strongest top 10.

Comment