Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Obama shares Scripture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Do not store up riches where moths and the British Navy will destroy. But hand over your riches to your friendly local pirate so that he may buy bacon.
    -- Gospel of Loot 45:11
    I would do that but my bacon disappears too fast. What's with that?
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      I would do that but my bacon disappears too fast. What's with that?
      ummmm, I think the moose are getting into your stash. yeah, that's it.

Do not store your bacon where moose and polar bears might destroy. Give it to Sparko and you will store up bacon for later.
      -- 1 Pirate 10:1

Comment

Moose are herbivores! Boy are we
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

I eat moose. Does that make me a herbivore?
          We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by alaskazimm View Post
            I eat moose. Does that make me a herbivore?
            No. a Moosevore.

Comment

I eat the moose that eat the plants. QED.
              We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

Vegetarian enough for me.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Er...the last half of the video clip shows him speaking of Matthew 7:3, about the log and mote. Seemed straightforward to me that he was paraphrasing it with a saying that captures the spirit of the specific verse, not falsely attributing a quote to scripture. (This is different from people who think "God helps those who help themselves" is in the Bible, because that's actually antithetical to the Bible's message, which is that God helps those who can't help themselves.)

Not that I'm a staunch Obama supporter myself, but some of you seem so quick to rip on him that I almost wonder if you're actually looking for excuses to do so.
                  Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

That may be the case, square. But there is sometimes danger in paraphrasing scripture, especially when you paraphrase it to make it say what you want it to say.

I will never forget Bill Clinton attempting to quote 1 Corinthians 2:9, which happens to be one of MY favourite verses, and it says,

Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
                    This quote is from the KJV, as that is what Bill was quoting. He changed it to say,

'Our eyes have not seen, nor our ears heard, what we can build.'"
                    http://www.clintonmemoriallibrary.com/clint_spirit.html

Very bad.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
                      Er...the last half of the video clip shows him speaking of Matthew 7:3, about the log and mote. Seemed straightforward to me that he was paraphrasing it with a saying that captures the spirit of the specific verse, not falsely attributing a quote to scripture. (This is different from people who think "God helps those who help themselves" is in the Bible, because that's actually antithetical to the Bible's message, which is that God helps those who can't help themselves.)

Not that I'm a staunch Obama supporter myself, but some of you seem so quick to rip on him that I almost wonder if you're actually looking for excuses to do so.
                      He said "The Good Book says", then he even mangled the "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks" idiom, then attempted to make his point by using the quote from Matt 7. He didn't seem to know the difference between the "glass houses" quote and scripture. He attributed BOTH to "The Good Book"

That's the point.

‘The Good Book says don’t throw stones in glass houses or make sure we’re looking at the log in our eyes before the mote in other folks eyes… and I think that’s as true in politics as it is in life.”

WHERE does "The Good Book" say ANYTHING about people throwing stones in glass houses"?
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                        That may be the case, square. But there is sometimes danger in paraphrasing scripture, especially when you paraphrase it to make it say what you want it to say.

I will never forget Bill Clinton attempting to quote 1 Corinthians 2:9, which happens to be one of MY favourite verses, and it says,

This quote is from the KJV, as that is what Bill was quoting. He changed it to say,

http://www.clintonmemoriallibrary.com/clint_spirit.html

Very bad.
                        Well, Clinton legitimately and thoroughly messed up because his reconstruction is contrary to the spirit of the passage. Obama doesn't seem to be doing that.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        He said "The Good Book says", then he even mangled the "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks" idiom, then attempted to make his point by using the quote from Matt 7. He didn't seem to know the difference between the "glass houses" quote and scripture. He attributed BOTH to "The Good Book"

That's the point.

‘The Good Book says don’t throw stones in glass houses or make sure we’re looking at the log in our eyes before the mote in other folks eyes… and I think that’s as true in politics as it is in life.”

WHERE does "The Good Book" say ANYTHING about people throwing stones in glass houses"?
                        Clearly it doesn't, but the idiom discouraging glass-house dwellers from throwing stones is commonly understood to be a disapproval of hypocrisy, which is precisely what Matthew 7:3 is conveying. As long as the two sayings are essentially the same in spirit, I'm just not sure what the major problem is.

If you went on a missionary trip to an unreached land and told the natives that the Bible says "God helps those who help themselves," you'd not only be wrong but potentially harmful, because that saying implies that people can earn God's favor through their own works, which is contrary to the central message of Christianity, and in fact is the sort of attitude that's frequently condemned throughout the Bible. You wouldn't truly be teaching the natives about Christianity. Whereas if you told them "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones," they'd understand the same point that the saying "Why do you see the mote in your brother's eye but not consider the log in your own eye?" is making. They would understand what Jesus was teaching; the only difference would be in the terms.
                        Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

While I think Obama does correctly represent the general tenor of scripture here, I can see why he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt because he has consistently sent a message implying that religion is a personal thing and been reluctant to address the issue that much. I can see how it rings hollow when he suddenly wants to come across as very religious when it comes to an issue dear to his heart.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

"As the Good Book says...

'Food can be your friend
                            Or food can be your foe
                            But if you eat too much of it
                            To Heaven you will go'."

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              ... I think Obama was trying to be "folksy"....
                              Yeah, because that's something Reagan never did.

Comment

Originally posted by Deof Movestofca View Post
                                Yeah, because that's something Reagan never did.
                                Reagan was capable of pulling it off. He was actually an actor. Obama is a Chicago Machine Politician.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X