Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 148

Thread: Christians working on Sundays

  1. #1
    Thread Killer QuantaFille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Thulcandra
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    906
    Amen (Given)
    289
    Amen (Received)
    411

    Christians working on Sundays

    About a year ago I started working in retail again. It is a small store that is open on Sundays, but with reduced hours and staff. We have four people scheduled for Sundays, out of a total of twelve employees (including management). Not everyone is free on Sundays, so it ends up being the same three people every week with the managers taking turns. One of the people working every Sunday is me. I recently found out that one of my coworkers who never works on Sunday is refusing to do so because he believes that it is wrong for him to work that day.

    Here are my questions:

    Is it wrong to refuse to work on a Sunday if it means you are forcing someone else to work on that day against their beliefs? The reason I don't want to is because it is hard for me to get there on time, especially if church runs late and my parents decide they want to hang around and talk afterwards (I am depending on them for rides right now, long story). So for me, it is not entirely a matter of believing that it is wrong to work that day, as long as I get another day off that week to rest. I just prefer that day off be Sunday, so I am not stressed after church trying to get to work on time and so that I can stay after church and talk to people if I need to. But if he was causing me to violate my conscience in working on a Sunday, would that be wrong of him? We could at least alternate. A compromise could be reached.

    Another question is this:
    Is it important that the day off from work be Sunday, or is that being too legalistic? The pastor of the church I went to before the one I am at now taught that it didn't matter which day of the week you had off from work, as long as you had a day of rest.

    Also:
    Prior to this past June, I worked two jobs for seven months straight with almost no days off. I wanted to have a day off but couldn't afford it. Was it wrong for me to not take any time off work, even if my finances would have suffered for it? I was saving up so I could afford to visit my husband, as well as paying other various bills. To me, it would have been wrong for me to not visit him, as it is important that we spend at least some time together and it looks like it will be a while yet before we are able to live together.

    I pretty much already know where I stand in all this, but I want to hear other people's viewpoints.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

  2. #2
    tWebber Darth Executor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Kazakhstan
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,925
    Amen (Given)
    1396
    Amen (Received)
    2149
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaFille View Post
    Is it wrong to refuse to work on a Sunday if it means you are forcing someone else to work on that day against their beliefs? The reason I don't want to is because it is hard for me to get there on time, especially if church runs late and my parents decide they want to hang around and talk afterwards (I am depending on them for rides right now, long story). So for me, it is not entirely a matter of believing that it is wrong to work that day, as long as I get another day off that week to rest. I just prefer that day off be Sunday, so I am not stressed after church trying to get to work on time and so that I can stay after church and talk to people if I need to. But if he was causing me to violate my conscience in working on a Sunday, would that be wrong of him? We could at least alternate. A compromise could be reached.
    Since you say you have no issues of conscience with it and he does, I find it strange that you are asking whether he was causing YOU to violate your conscience. Seems to me like you're looking for a way to get him to violate HIS conscience for your convenience.

    edit: to clarify, I know she says "what if it was a matter of conscience", but considering this post starts off with a complaint about the inconvenience it seems better to just go straight to the point.
    Last edited by Darth Executor; 12-11-2014 at 03:43 AM.
    "Should you help the wicked and love those who hate the Lord? Because of this, the wrath of the Lord is on you." ~ 2 Chronicles 19:2

    "The righteous will be glad when they are avenged, when they dip their feet in the blood of the wicked." ~ Psalm 58:10

  3. #3
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Inside the beltway
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,820
    Amen (Given)
    4376
    Amen (Received)
    7451
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaFille View Post
    About a year ago I started working in retail again. It is a small store that is open on Sundays, but with reduced hours and staff. We have four people scheduled for Sundays, out of a total of twelve employees (including management). Not everyone is free on Sundays, so it ends up being the same three people every week with the managers taking turns. One of the people working every Sunday is me. I recently found out that one of my coworkers who never works on Sunday is refusing to do so because he believes that it is wrong for him to work that day.

    Here are my questions:

    Is it wrong to refuse to work on a Sunday if it means you are forcing someone else to work on that day against their beliefs? The reason I don't want to is because it is hard for me to get there on time, especially if church runs late and my parents decide they want to hang around and talk afterwards (I am depending on them for rides right now, long story). So for me, it is not entirely a matter of believing that it is wrong to work that day, as long as I get another day off that week to rest. I just prefer that day off be Sunday, so I am not stressed after church trying to get to work on time and so that I can stay after church and talk to people if I need to. But if he was causing me to violate my conscience in working on a Sunday, would that be wrong of him? We could at least alternate. A compromise could be reached.
    If he's not working on Sunday because it violates his conscience, then he's stuck violating someone's conscience either way. If you alternate, then you're violating both consciences, which seems to be the least desirable outcome. In the end, I think he's more responsible for his own conscience.

    Another question is this:
    Is it important that the day off from work be Sunday, or is that being too legalistic? The pastor of the church I went to before the one I am at now taught that it didn't matter which day of the week you had off from work, as long as you had a day of rest.
    The early church didn't have the luxury of taking Sundays off; they met before dawn so they could worship before going to work (per Pliny the Younger). Rest when you can.
    Also:
    Prior to this past June, I worked two jobs for seven months straight with almost no days off. I wanted to have a day off but couldn't afford it. Was it wrong for me to not take any time off work, even if my finances would have suffered for it? I was saving up so I could afford to visit my husband, as well as paying other various bills. To me, it would have been wrong for me to not visit him, as it is important that we spend at least some time together and it looks like it will be a while yet before we are able to live together.
    It's not healthy to work long-term without any rest, but we do what we must. Working to make ends meet is not wrong IMO - and I agree that it is important to spend time together with your spouse.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

  4. Amen KingsGambit amen'd this post.
  5. #4
    Thread Killer QuantaFille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Thulcandra
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    906
    Amen (Given)
    289
    Amen (Received)
    411
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Executor View Post
    Since you say you have no issues of conscience with it and he does, I find it strange that you are asking whether he was causing YOU to violate your conscience. Seems to me like you're looking for a way to get him to violate HIS conscience for your convenience.

    edit: to clarify, I know she says "what if it was a matter of conscience", but considering this post starts off with a complaint about the inconvenience it seems better to just go straight to the point.
    What I am asking (and the point you seem to have missed) is, SHOULD I have a problem with it beyond mere convenience? I used to feel a lot more strongly about it than I do now, and I still go out of my way to not purchase things on Sundays as a matter of concience because I still have qualms about making someone else work that day. I now think it is legalistic to feel that Sunday is the ONLY day we are allowed to allocate as our rest day. But I could be wrong, and that is what I am asking. How big of a deal should I be making out of this?
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

  6. #5
    Thread Killer QuantaFille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Thulcandra
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    906
    Amen (Given)
    289
    Amen (Received)
    411
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    If he's not working on Sunday because it violates his conscience, then he's stuck violating someone's conscience either way. If you alternate, then you're violating both consciences, which seems to be the least desirable outcome. In the end, I think he's more responsible for his own conscience.
    I guess that makes sense. I just thought about what I would do if I were the manager in this case, and had my only two (technically) available employees each claiming that they couldn't work on Sundays, and that was the best solution I could come up with short of hiring someone else. An extra employee would only work for a few weeks before being let go anyway as this is only a temporary problem (after December we go back to three people on Sundays) but it got me thinking.

    The early church didn't have the luxury of taking Sundays off; they met before dawn so they could worship before going to work (per Pliny the Younger). Rest when you can.
    When I was working every day, I had about two hours free on Saturdays if I got up at 4:30am. I spent that time playing Minecraft over the internet with my husband. That was about the only rest I got.

    It's not healthy to work long-term without any rest, but we do what we must. Working to make ends meet is not wrong IMO - and I agree that it is important to spend time together with your spouse.
    That is what I figured.

    Thanks for your input.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

  7. #6
    Dept. of Redundancy Dept. Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    32,692
    Amen (Given)
    7513
    Amen (Received)
    17322
    You're responsible for your conscience. ("weaker brother" principle included)
    You're not the boss of the other guy - you are not forcing him to work.
    The boss COULD hire more employees, or manage the schedule in different manner.

    As a matter of preference, I don't shop or buy gas on Sundays. HOWEVER, I'm not legalistic about it -- going into the weekend, I try to make sure we have milk, bread, bacon -- the essentials.

    When I was younger, the Sunday restaurant crowd was LARGELY the "Church Crowd", and we used to think "if I eat out on Sunday after Church, I'm making other people work" - on the OTHER hand, they're going to be there ANYWAY".

    When I was a police officer, I was sometimes asked to work on Sundays, and my Chief knew of my Christian preferences, so he always said "unless there's a big emergency, go to Church even if you're on duty".

    1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

  8. #7
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    70
    Amen (Given)
    5
    Amen (Received)
    4
    I'd say let the other guy go to his church. We know that you are the better person. I think God loves irony.

  9. #8
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    30,587
    Amen (Given)
    2573
    Amen (Received)
    15167
    Every preacher I know works on Sundays.

  10. Amen Jedidiah, DesertBerean amen'd this post.
  11. #9
    tWebber Adrift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,391
    Amen (Given)
    5630
    Amen (Received)
    5178
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    When I was younger, the Sunday restaurant crowd was LARGELY the "Church Crowd", and we used to think "if I eat out on Sunday after Church, I'm making other people work" - on the OTHER hand, they're going to be there ANYWAY".
    You could always eat Chinese, or Thai, or Indian, or maybe even a good Jewish or Muslim owned restaurant to clear your conscience.

  12. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
  13. #10
    tWebber Adrift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,391
    Amen (Given)
    5630
    Amen (Received)
    5178
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Every preacher I know works on Sundays.
    Probably don't know any Seventh Day Adventists preachers I imagine.

  14. Amen One Bad Pig amen'd this post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •