Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Christians working on Sundays

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    You could always eat Chinese, or Thai, or Indian, or maybe even a good Jewish or Muslim owned restaurant to clear your conscience.
    Eating at a Muslim owned restaurant would trouble my conscience further. I'm not knowingly going to eat halal meat. Though in extremis I suppose I could go vegetarian for that meal.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Eating at a Muslim owned restaurant would trouble my conscience further. I'm not knowingly going to eat halal meat. Though in extremis I suppose I could go vegetarian for that meal.
    Why would it trouble your conscience? You don't want to miss out on Doner Kebabs if you can get them.

3. Amen Christianbookworm amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Why would it trouble your conscience? You don't want to miss out on Doner Kebabs if you can get them.
    Halal meat has been ritually sacrificed to Allah. No thanks.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Really... I thought it was the Muslim equivalent of kosher.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Hmm. I suppose that gets into the debate about whether or not Muslims worship the same God as Christians. The distinction between the Muslim Allah, and the Christian God is probably not as wide as, say, the Hindu Kali and the Christian God. I wonder if Christians living in, say, Lebanon buy meat from Muslim butchers where they both call God "Allah".

7. Amen Catholicity amen'd this post.
    Dept. of Redundancy Dept. Cow Poke's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Every preacher I know works on Sundays.
    As a preacher, I've been told I ONLY work on Sundays, and then I work too long!

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

9. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    Really... I thought it was the Muslim equivalent of kosher.
    From BBC:
    Halal is Arabic for permissible. Halal food is that which adheres to Islamic law, as defined in the Koran.

The Islamic form of slaughtering animals or poultry, dhabiha, involves killing through a cut to the jugular vein, carotid artery and windpipe.
    Slaughterhouse UK slaughterhouses must be completely halal compliant

Animals must be alive and healthy at the time of slaughter and all blood is drained from the carcass. During the process, a Muslim will recite a dedication, know as tasmiya or shahada.
    How does the Koran define what is permissible?

"These things alone he has forbidden to you: What is already dead, blood, the flesh of swine, what has been offered up to other than Allah."
    Al-Anam 6:145
    In other words, it is meat which has been offered up to Allah, and killed in a specific way.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    From BBC:

How does the Koran define what is permissible?

In other words, it is meat which has been offered up to Allah, and killed in a specific way.
    That just sounds like they aren't allowed to eat Idol meat anymore than the Jews were.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

12. Amen Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Hmm. I suppose that gets into the debate about whether or not Muslims worship the same God as Christians. The distinction between the Muslim Allah, and the Christian God is probably not as wide as, say, the Hindu Kali and the Christian God.
    Of course it's not. Nonetheless, AFAICT the Allah described in the Koran is not the God I worship.
    I wonder if Christians living in, say, Lebanon buy meat from Muslim butchers where they both call God "Allah".
    I'm not sure. Do they call God "Allah"? AFAIK it is done by some Christians in Muslim-majority countries, but I have no idea how widespread the practice is. There is another word for "God," isn't there? IIRC the "first pillar" starts out "There is no God but. . . "

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    That just sounds like they aren't allowed to eat Idol meat anymore than the Jews were.
    Did you miss the bit about "dedication"?

The shahada said at the point of slaughter is: ‘In the name of Allah, who is the greatest’.
    source So it is offered to Allah.

(not vouching for the veracity of the site's arguments; just referenced it for the dedication)